IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The scores won't mean anything. The complete non interest in it from fans will. Regardless of the scores this'll be pulled.

Absolute minter that we have to do this never mind clubs like Hibs and United. Who's own under 20s are probably better.

Absolutely no important decision-maker will notice or care if your Round 1 fixtures attract a slightly more pathetic crowd than normal. Nor will they notice a poor result from a League Two club claiming to be throwing their fixture: they'll just assume that you're crap, which in Arbroath's case, would be a correct assumption.

What they're interested in are the contests from Round 3 onwards - yours is basically a qualifying round for that main event.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, relichtie said:

They should make that clown Doncaster put his hand in his pocket and subsidise both clubs. Some chance. Joke competition which with the League Cup sections being introduced should have been binned.

Why should be Arbroath (never mind Inverness) be compensated by the authorities, given that their club freely accepted Inverness' pricing policy for the match? It's clear that your club couldn't give a toss about losing money on the tie - otherwise, you'd have insisted on a charging people entry to try and avoid doing so. Whatever loss you make on the tie is entirely your own fault then. 

Absolutely no important decision-maker will notice or care if your Round 1 fixtures attract a slightly more pathetic crowd than normal. Nor will they notice a poor result from a League Two club claiming to be throwing their fixture: they'll just assume that you're crap, which in Arbroath's case, would be a correct assumption.

What they're interested in are the contests from Round 3 onwards - yours is basically a qualifying round for that main event.

And the same will apply from round 3 onwards. Unless you think things will change when Morton get drawn against Hamilton under 20s or the like.

What, specifically, will 'also apply'? The big clubs will have sufficient support turning up to make any fixture worthwhile for the sponsors; whatever dross that gets past the other dross in the qualifying rounds will, generally speaking, get turfed out at the first opportunity.

The tournament will get to the latter, televised stages with the clubs that both the sponsors and decision-makers wish to see there: Scottish Championship clubs; the Welsh/TFS guest sides; potentially the Bigot Under 20 sides; at most one or two seaside league clubs. I suggest that you deal with that fact.

What, specifically, will 'also apply'? The big clubs will have sufficient support turning up to make any fixture worthwhile for the sponsors; whatever dross that gets past the other dross in the qualifying rounds will, generally speaking, get turfed out at the first opportunity.

The tournament will get to the latter, televised stages with the clubs that both the sponsors and decision-makers wish to see there: Scottish Championship clubs; the Welsh/TFS guest sides; potentially the Bigot Under 20 sides; at most one or two seaside league clubs. I suggest that you deal with that fact.

And surely, surely as a Morton fan you can't find any of that appealing in the slightest?

Like I said you get Hamilton under 20s at home what kind of crowd will you get? Will there be scenes in the home end if you get a last minute winner against them to get to the semi for example? All pretty embarrassing and I think that even when it comes to that stage the crowds will be shite and there'll be zero interest from the clubs that are left in its fans or anybody else.

Apart from the games involving the OF under 20 teams.

The only good thing to come from this competition is the fact it will be absolutely surreal to see a United v Dundee U20s or Hibs v Hearts U20s tie.

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

And surely, surely as a Morton fan you can't find any of that appealing in the slightest?

Erm, of course there is. There is the very real prospect of at least one all-weekend session in TFS or Wales, watching Morton roll over some absolute pub team en route to a semi-final or final. In its previous format, the only interest of note in the Challenge Cup was doing the same on a Saturday in July against a Scottish pub team. The format is much more enticing in its latter stages for the big clubs than previously: which is why sponsors and TV providers are now interested in it.

Like I said you get Hamilton under 20s at home what kind of crowd will you get? Will there be scenes in the home end if you get a last minute winner against them to get to the semi for example? All pretty embarrassing and I think that even when it comes to that stage the crowds will be shite and there'll be zero interest from the clubs that are left in its fans or anybody else.

As decent if unremarkable a crowd and as few scenes as I'd expect playing any other dross outfit in the tournament before. Playing Berwick at home in a midweek round 2 in 2014-15 didn't draw more than the usual three fans in a charabanc away support, and absolutely no-one in the home crowd gave a toss about the opposition. Next to nobody in the Morton support or at any Championship club will attempt to launch laughable boycotts or demanding that their clubs throw the match: all the more so because they'll view such ties as a straightforward route to the aforementioned novelty tie. 

All of which means that the toys being thrown out the pram by clubs put in a crap qualifying round will have no impact on the future of the tournament whatsoever. That will depend on whether the latter stages, and particularly the cross-border ties, work or not. 

Are you for real? Going to East Fife in the challenge cup is hard enough never mind fucking Wales.

Well just have to agree to disagree then you obviously see this tournament in a different light to myself. I basically want is to get a team with a big support at home that'll put is out in the first round and be done with it. Was bad enough in the 1st place before all this was introduced.

Even when we were a baw hair off being in the final in our game against QoTS a few years ago I couldn't give a f**k about it.

How I wish we still had the old format now though.

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Are you for real? Going to East Fife in the challenge cup is hard enough never mind fucking Wales.

I basically want is to get a team with a big support at home that'll put is out in the first round and be done with it. 

The sort of diddy mentality that the footballing authorities rightly won't lose much sleep over. 

I don't think you need concern yourself over any potential trip to Wales!

You honestly think your scabby lot will get anywhere close to the 4th Round? :lol:

We've been to the semis as recently as 4 year ago where we got put out in extra time

Eta: there is NINETEEN part time teams competing along with TWELVE under 20 teams.

: Can you explain 'scabby lot' please Stewarty?

So you want us to lose?

I'm not bothered. It's a glorified Forfarshire cup. I'd be absolutely furious if any of our players got injured in the competition and it hindered the league campaign especially if it was against some Colt team. Tournament should be scrapped now with the changes to the LC.

I'm not bothered. It's a glorified Forfarshire cup. I'd be absolutely furious if any of our players got injured in the competition and it hindered the league campaign especially if it was against some Colt team. Tournament should be scrapped now with the changes to the LC.

So it would be fine for one of your players to get injured playing against Annan, but it's not fine if they're injured against Inverness U-20s? 

You're being a bit of a blethering mess here. 

So it would be fine for one of your players to get injured playing against Annan, but it's not fine if they're injured against Inverness U-20s? 

You're being a bit of a blethering mess here. 

Yes. If it was in a competition that was actually meaningful.

And look at your last reply, you're the blethering mess. Still not gave an explanation for that pile of shite you last posted.

:lol:

What's so funny?

In the same way I wouldn't want us playing friendly games throughout the season as there'd be a higher chance of a player being on the wrong end of a bad tackle for the real competitons.

Archived