IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poorer crowds that what exactly? The bottom line is that the majority of the Round 1 entrants (and around half of the Round 2 entrants) would expect to be horsed out of the tournament in the First Round originally. The Round 1 entrants now get what should be a more than winnable tie against Under-20 sides - regardless of whether you object to their participation or not - then a still winnable tie against teams from SPFL1 if they progress. By the time they face credible opposition, they'll be on their third fixture in the competition rather than their first. If they get put out by non-league sides or a youth side at the first hurdle, then they evidently haven't earned a crack at one of the big sides in the competition.

So they get to that fixture having already made a loss on ties with sub-100 crowds rather than just getting that tie as they used to.

They could have invited more Highland and Lowland League sides, having the same effect of forcing sides to play through a couple of rounds to earn a crack at the bigger sides in the competition where they'll likely lose without inviting B teams and turning the competition into a farce.

Imagine being excited by playing Hearts' youth team. Sounds like an exhilarating life.

The only you can defend this monstrosity is if you had an active role in its creation and now you're deflecting all criticism out of anger and shame or you're just being a troll.

Or maybe I'm just not being a total cock about it. It's really not that important. 

Although a bizarre idea, lets see how the first round holds up in terms of quality, crowds etc then we can slate it

Pretty sure the crowds will be similar to the first round of the Challenge Cup any other year, ie pish.  The quality won't be that much different either, ie pish. 

I'm just looking forward to getting back to the football again, I hate the close season. 

I don't know what the diddies will expect for entrance to these. I thought you could just wonder in to most under 20 games.

From what i've seen quite a few of the Premiership sides take £5 to get into DL games sarge.

Entrance to our U20 games are free, but any money paid goes straight into the development team fund so folk generally pay around £5-£10 when they walk in. More of a donation than an entrance fee.

Pretty sure the crowds will be similar to the first round of the Challenge Cup any other year, ie pish. The quality won't be that much different either, ie pish.

I'm just looking forward to getting back to the football again, I hate the close season.

Our crowds for the last 2 seasons in the challenge cup 1st round have been 914 (vs Dunfermline) and 560 (vs Alloa). Our game against ICT U20s isn't going to get close to either of those figures.

Our crowds for the last 2 seasons in the challenge cup 1st round have been 914 (vs Dunfermline) and 560 (vs Alloa). Our game against ICT U20s isn't going to get close to either of those figures.

And even if it did - presumably those games were £10, £12, or similar. Not free, £5, or people throwing change in buckets.

And even if it did - presumably those games were £10, £12, or similar. Not free, £5, or people throwing change in buckets.

Stop letting facts and common sense get in the way! It's NEW and DIFFERENT and FRESH.

Entrance to our U20 games are free, but any money paid goes straight into the development team fund so folk generally pay around £5-£10 when they walk in. More of a donation than an entrance fee.

It's free to season ticket holders and kids, £5 for adults.

Still not sure why so many fans are that bothered. Senior sides should be pumping youth sides anyway, while the Welsh/Irish sides will throw games to prevent travelling costs. So at the end of the day you'll have the same teams in the Quarters, but you'll have had more ties to make money, more prize money and potentially some TV money for not much effort.

Exactly. We do not want to be playing youth sides or be involved in a competition with them. I hope we go out and put the minimum amount of effort in and get papped out so we don't have to waste another 2/3 hour journey on a midweek to play a bunch of Bairns. The thing can gtf.

We'll have players (part time mind) going up to Inverness on Sunday, then going back to their work Monday and Tuesday before going up again on a Wednesday night, we have players from all over the country remember. Part time guys with jobs in Glasgow and Edinburgh. This competition is a fucking farce.

That 560 was 160 below our league average of 720 there was no interest in it when it was actually quite a decent set up never mind now. ICT u20s against us will struggle to get in over 100, no Arbroath fan will waste their time and I can't imagine any Inverness fan will give a shite either

Each to their own, I just don't get why people are being such cocks about it all though. it's the Challenge Cup ffs, not the World Cup

A competition that teams used to take seriously as it offered a chance of silverware. Been to two finals. Saints vs Dunfermline - attendance: 6000+ and Dundee vs Inverness - attendance: 8000+. Dont tell me the fans dont take it seriously, the majority of sides in the lower tier would love a challenge cup win. Now it's a fucking joke of a competition because they've used it as a guinea pig for the inclusion of B teams in the set up.

As i said, don't go to these games. Don't encourage them. Spend the money you would have spent at the next league game and treat yourself to a mars bar or something.

Archived