IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

Particularly given the ties fall between the League Cup sections ending and the league beginning.

For many part-time clubs that midweek will be the only opportunity for 2 training sessions in a row since the end of pre-season several weeks prior.

That 560 was 160 below our league average of 720 there was no interest in it when it was actually quite a decent set up never mind now. ICT u20s against us will struggle to get in over 100, no Arbroath fan will waste their time and I can't imagine any Inverness fan will give a shite either

Exactly. We do not want to be playing youth sides or be involved in a competition with them. I hope we go out and put the minimum amount of effort in and get papped out so we don't have to waste another 2/3 hour journey on a midweek to play a bunch of Bairns. The thing can gtf.

We'll have players (part time mind) going up to Inverness on Sunday, then going back to their work Monday and Tuesday before going up again on a Wednesday night, we have players from all over the country remember. Part time guys with jobs in Glasgow and Edinburgh. This competition is a fucking farce.

Easy now. Remember, you're getting an extra £500, 40% of the gate, and a crate of bottled water, don't you know!!

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest thing I've seen regarding this is that the SFA are trying to create a West of Scotland league at tier 6, with Glasgow Uni, Girvan, Celtic B and Rangers B and others to be drafted in for next season.

Fucking Joke IMO.

That 560 was 160 below our league average of 720 there was no interest in it when it was actually quite a decent set up never mind now. ICT u20s against us will struggle to get in over 100, no Arbroath fan will waste their time and I can't imagine any Inverness fan will give a shite either

I wouldn't go that far..... ;):(

Dont go to these games and save your money for a pie at the weekend. Anyone that attends these games is endorsing the product and will be hounded appropriately. You will be named and shamed. NAMED AND SHAMED.

A competition that teams used to take seriously as it offered a chance of silverware. Been to two finals. Saints vs Dunfermline - attendance: 6000+ and Dundee vs Inverness - attendance: 8000+. Dont tell me the fans dont take it seriously, the majority of sides in the lower tier would love a challenge cup win. Now it's a fucking joke of a competition because they've used it as a guinea pig for the inclusion of B teams in the set up.

As i said, don't go to these games. Don't encourage them. Spend the money you would have spent at the next league game and treat yourself to a mars bar or something.

Who is going to be doing this 'naming and shaming'? A pint-sharing no-mark like yourself? Sit down. 

The latest thing I've seen regarding this is that the SFA are trying to create a West of Scotland league at tier 6, with Glasgow Uni, Girvan,

Celtic B and Rangers B and others to be drafted in for next season.

Fucking Joke IMO.

Where did you hear this? A west of Scotland feeder is needed imo, what teams play in it is another matter

Queen's Park hosting Kilmarnock 'B' in the hallowed surrounds of Hampden an example.

Maybe they'll shift to Lesser...

Lesser isn't a licensed ground, so that won't be happening.

Can I also say......Killie under 20s....FFS.  

The format of this tournament looks like people threw a stack of mad ideas into a hat and someone pulled out six of them and cobbled them together.

The format of this tournament looks like people threw a stack of mad ideas into a hat and someone pulled out six of them and cobbled them together.

The format is pretty much the same as it's always been, it's a straight knockout tournament. All that's changed is that there's a whole new influx of teams, some entering later than others. At the end of the day, it all boils down to the same thing. A knockout tournament. I can't see the inclusion of the U-20 sides being a success (specifically in terms of attendances), but I'll not be knocking it until at least one season of it. 

I'm actually surprised more fans aren't up in arms about the new League Cup format, given it's now going to be almost impossible for a wee team to get a bumper away tie anymore. Although I have to say I'm currently in favour of the group stages on a personal level as it means Albion are guaranteed four games, as opposed to the normal one! 

The format is pretty much the same as it's always been, it's a straight knockout tournament. All that's changed is that there's a whole new influx of teams, some entering later than others. At the end of the day, it all boils down to the same thing. A knockout tournament. I can't see the inclusion of the U-20 sides being a success (specifically in terms of attendances), but I'll not be knocking it until at least one season of it.

I'm actually surprised more fans aren't up in arms about the new League Cup format, given it's now going to be almost impossible for a wee team to get a bumper away tie anymore. Although I have to say I'm currently in favour of the group stages on a personal level as it means Albion are guaranteed four games, as opposed to the normal one!

How's that then?

We had the 3rd biggest team in Scotland away in last seasons League Cup and there were only 7k there.

Before the new format it was only the Championship down that was in the 1st round.

Then the bottom 6 premiership in the 2nd round.

Then the top 6 came in in the 3rd round.

Here, every team bar the top 4 goes right into the 1st round/groups.

Didn't you plan Hearts on a Thursday night or something daft like that?

Not really one to compare

How much extra would've turned up on a Saturday?

With this you will get a chance of any team apart from the top 3/Europe spot in the 1st round.

In the last one you had to go through 2/realistically 3 rounds to get that and the draw is seeded right the way through.

Eta: not forgetting that the TV money you get just from entering now probably covers it anyway?

It's not really a chance of "any team" considering its regionalised in the group stages. Anyway I'm not here to argue about whether we will get bumper ties or not as I wasn't the one who argued the contrary, just pointing out Hearts v Arbroath on a Thursday night wasn't the best example to use.

With this you will get a chance of any team apart from the top 3/Europe spot in the 1st round.

Well no, my team is in the north section, so that rules out any chance of getting one of the Old Firm away, because we're never getting out of a group containing a Prem/Championship side, Same for every other diddy club in the north section. 

Not that I'm actually complaining about it though, as I quite like the new format, I'm just surprised there isn't more of an outcry about that than the re-jigging of a cup every cúnt moaned about year after year. 

So they get to that fixture having already made a loss on ties with sub-100 crowds rather than just getting that tie as they used to.

I'm not convinced that any club stands to actually 'make a loss' on ties in any domestic competition, and as for "sub-100 crowds" that depends entirely on whether fans actually support their club with money at the gate. Which would be the same for any other cup tie. I don't see why crowds ought to be substantially lower for home ties against any opposition unless fans chose to stay away. Which would be their choice and so not one for hand-wringing by the authorities. Away ties at a yet to be determined Colt ground are wrong though, at the very least those outfits should be forced to play their ties away at the league club's ground.

They could have invited more Highland and Lowland League sides, having the same effect of forcing sides to play through a couple of rounds to earn a crack at the bigger sides in the competition where they'll likely lose without inviting B teams and turning the competition into a farce.

I agree, apart from the declaration that the competition is now "a farce". Once the cross-border and Championship clubs are involved and the under 20s weeded out, there's no reason why the tournament won't prove to be a greater success for clubs than the previous offering. It's pish for the first round entrants for sure, but the reality is that the majority of interested fans won't be interested in that round in the first place. A tournament can have crap or unpopular elements within it while still being an improvement on the whole, and we'll have to wait and see whether that is the case. 

But none of that actually demonstrates that league clubs stand to 'lose money' by taking part in the new format compared to the old one. A middling League Two side could complete two rounds of this tournament and then play a Championship club in the later stages; it could have drawn a fellow League Two side and been papped out in front of less than 500 people in Round 1 before. And that would be that for their gate revenue from the competition. 

First thought was I wouldn't be arsed to watch a game against an under 20 side but if it was away at a Premier League ground, especially Pitoddrie then, maybe. As it is we have Shire away so although Ochilview isn't the greatest of grounds I like the Shire and will trot along to the game.

at the very least those outfits should be forced to play their ties away at the league club's ground.

I agree with this 100%. I think if the cup still exists next season, that'll be a change they'll likely make. 

First venues confirmed.

Cove Rangers will host Dundee 'B' at Station Park in Forfar on Tuesday 2nd August.

St Johnstone 'B' will host Turriff United at McDiarmid Park the same night.

If Wikipedia is to be believed then Inverness 'B' v Arbroath is at Clachnacuddin; Celtic 'B' v Annan is at Greenock; Motherwell 'B' v Edinburgh City at Airdrie; but possibly supposition.

First venues confirmed.

Cove Rangers will host Dundee 'B' at Station Park in Forfar on Tuesday 2nd August.

St Johnstone 'B' will host Turriff United at McDiarmid Park the same night.

If Wikipedia is to be believed then Inverness 'B' v Arbroath is at Clachnacuddin; Celtic 'B' v Annan is at Greenock; Motherwell 'B' v Edinburgh City at Airdrie; but possibly supposition.

RRROLL UP, RRROLL UP, FOR THE GREATEST SHOW IN...well, roll up anyway.

Archived