IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get how any Thistle fan or the like - accies, ict etc can support this farce. We're the sort of yoyo club who is always at risk of dropping  back down, play in this nonsense and have to suffer the farce of taking on the Old Firm kids as a stop gap to them getting shoehorned into the league proper.

Some folk have got to be there, "ah never miss a gemme, the teem needz iz"

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I don't get how any Thistle fan or the like - accies, ict etc can support this farce. We're the sort of yoyo club who is always at risk of dropping  back down, play in this nonsense and have to suffer the farce of taking on the Old Firm kids as a stop gap to them getting shoehorned into the league proper.

Some folk have got to be there, "ah never miss a gemme, the teem needz iz"

ICT a yo-yo club :lol:

Despite the result, our game was  decent entertainment. Crowd was up on the usual for this cup at this stage too. Hearts kids looked decent in the 2nd half, but our defensive woes continue. Disappointing to lose. Hey ho. 

Despite the result, our game was  decent entertainment. Crowd was up on the usual for this cup at this stage too. Hearts kids looked decent in the 2nd half, but our defensive woes continue. Disappointing to lose. Hey ho. 

You must be devastated to be out your favourite competition.

So no massive surprise with the 20s tonight. As I said earlier in the thread most were never going to go far. They just arent good enough. Of the 10 who played tonight five went out. I thought St Johnstone would have won. No great surprises in the others losing. 

Of the five who won, Celtic are a good side and Aberdeen are too. Motherwell and Hearts are two of the better sides who were in the final of the u20s cup last season and even then Hearts were run close by a young Stirling side. And Thistle were effectively given a bye by Clyde who made no effort to win. I suspect Clyde would have won that if they had tried to.

Accies play tomorrow against Cumbernauld. Rangers arent magic at 20s level but may beat East Stirling next week. I would be surprised if more than 1 or 2 reach the 3rd round though. Depends on the draw. The better League 1 sides should beat them though.

Barry Ferguson has cost me as well, I had a treble on the grown ups in Queens Park v Killie, Cove v Dundee and Clyde v Partick.  What a wee fud. (Ferguson, not me).  He is treating the fixture with the contempt it deserves, however.  Though he does appear to be doing that in every competition Clyde are in this season ..

shite concept for a tournament.  I like the Welsh and N Irish clubs coming in, could be some great trips for teams from lower divisions, but keep the under 20's out of it.

Its just Doncaster copying England once more. Though fair play to the six EPL teams that turned it down,  and fair play to the Pompey fans for planning to stage a walkout...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36953689

2 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

On what basis do you say that? There's no real comparison to make for Stirling alone as you haven't been at home in the first round since 2010-11, and in last season's competition only four of the sixteen ties had a smaller attendance than yours of 476 tonight - Brechin v Cowdenbeath, Shire v Stenhousemuir, Brora v Alloa & Edinburgh City v Queen's Park.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Motherwell and Hearts are two of the better sides who were in the final of the u20s cup last season and even then Hearts were run close by a young Stirling side. And Thistle were effectively given a bye by Clyde who made no effort to win. I suspect Clyde would have won that if they had tried to.

According to our twitter we had three 15 year olds in the starting line up.  A bunch of players that made the final last season have either moved on, been released or are first team players now like Cadden and Thomas.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

According to our twitter we had three 15 year olds in the starting line up.  A bunch of players that made the final last season have either moved on, been released or are first team players now like Cadden and Thomas.

Its an even better win than I gave you credit for then, though no idea how strong a side Edinburgh put out. 

I dont expect Motherwell, Thistle or probably Hearts to get much further though.

Archived