IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

So five colt teams through, five out tonight. Not a bad showing from them.

11 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

1 minute ago, RedEd said:

Look again. Ross Cty,  ICT, Saints, Dundee and Killie out. Celtic, Motherwell, Partick, Hearts and Aberdeen through

Apologies all round, I mistakenly brought the four non league sides to mind when I clearly never read Bluetoon87's post correctly.

Edinburgh are jobbers. I agree if Clyde and Stirling put out a strong team they probably both would have progressed. Seeing the likes of Arbroath and QP go through against some of the weaker u20 sides I thought was going to happen.

It did surprise me though to see the Highland League job squads  do pretty well.

I'd agree a few more will go out again next round. I'd imagine Celtic will get through although if they draw a solid team away from home at a midden of a park like Stranraer then I could just as easily see them getting kicked off the park and out the tournament.

Exceedingly disappointing to exit to Spartans in such a manner but I don't actually feel that bothered, which possibly sums-up the way the competition had been messed about with. It is a couple of seasons since not a single family member, friend, neighbour or colleague wanted to come down to Shielfield - even with the offer of a lift - but that was the case tonight, despite us not even playing an U20s team. In a couple of cases, including someone who normally comes with me, they didn't want to "watch a youth cup". I'm glad our crowd got over 300 - but it will be rare for us to have posted as low an attendance as 302 in any cup. Disappointing night and result, ultimately.

Looking at certain results and XIs it seems like some SPFL2 clubs, managers, and maybe players maybe thought it hardly worth bothering with anyway? Some ties perhaps effectively reserves v kids.

As predicted many of the crowds tonight were desperate. Has there ever been a lower crowd for Queen's Park home match? Indeed how often will there ever have been sub-300 and certainly sub-200 crowds in this cup - and this was despite minimal, even free, admission in some cases.

It's certainly no encouragement of the idea that 'B' teams in SPFL would generate crowds. One-third of the gate receipts tonight will actually have fallen short of 4 figures. Not a universal experience - good crowds at Stirling and Fir Park (although had it been at Airdrie or Falkirk...) - but many poor elsewhere:

Stirling Albion v Hearts 'B' - 476

Motherwell 'B' v Edinburgh City - 402

Clyde v Partick Thistle 'B' - 351

Ross County 'B' v Brora Rangers - 350
St Johnstone 'B' v Turriff Utd - 320
Formartine Utd v Aberdeen 'B' - 305
Berwick Rangers v Spartans - 302

Queen's Park v Kilmarnock 'B' - 299
Inverness CT 'B' v Arbroath - 296

Celtic 'B' v Annan Athletic - 216

Cove Rangers v Dundee 'B' - 190

East Stirlingshire v Montrose - 149

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Except of course we came up with the plan first but dont let that stop your lazy stereotyping!

Interesting. When did both organisations start their totally independent plans for their respective competitions?

Just now, 7-2 said:

Interesting. When did both organisations start their totally independent plans for their respective competitions?

That's what I was thinking: e.g. although SPFL announced their changes the week before EFL (who had to vote on it at their AGM as opposed to SPFL where the Board decides), the actual idea of adding EPL youth teams to the FL Trophy - even in 16 groups of 4 - was first publically mooted by their CEO over a year ago, in response to the FA and Dyke's plan for "B teams in an EFL3".

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sure there'll be a lot of annoyed part time boys no even near home yet after trekking around the country to play bairns when they've got work in the morning.

Nobody forces them to play semi-professional football at a national level: Although good luck cutting out those journeys yourself, once your dross outfit washes up in the Highland League. 

Next utterly bullshit, bleeding-heart complaint please. 

Nobody forces them to play semi-professional football at a national level: Although good luck cutting out those journeys yourself, once your dross outfit washes up in the Highland League. 

Next utterly bullshit, bleeding-heart complaint please. 

Of course nobody does...? As for the second bit, that won't be happening.

Been a while since I've backed a team to win and they've proceeded to get scudded 5-0... f**k you very much Barry Ferguson 

If you had read or heard an interview with Ferguson today you would absolutely not have backed Clyde. He more or less stated that he would be playing mostly kids and that they had only been together for two weeks.

Archived