IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

26 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Cumbernauld Colts 0-3 Hamilton Academical 'B'

Attendance was a mere 119.

What kind of crowd do Cumbernauld normally get?  119 is higher than I expected to be honest.  

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They routinely get under 100 but have delivered significantly higher crowds on bigger occasions and midweek (which looks counter-intuitive but is probably down to players, coaches etc. from their huge youth network who have their own games on weekends). For their opening LL game home v Whitehill crowd was 300; at home to Glasgow University in the Scottish Cup, who have no support to speak of, was 250; and at home to Auchinleck Talbot in the Scottish Cup was 487, although would include few hundred away fans. I've seen it suggested their other two best home crowds last season were league games, v Spartans and BSCG, on a Wednesday and Friday respectively. I'd thought the talk of sub-100 tonight was way off in the context of those games and the Challenge Cup being a prestigious opportunity in the eyes of a non-league team. I could not have guessed precisely but perhaps higher 100s. Maybe their opposition being Hamilton Accies 'B' was more of a turn-off in counterweight to the other factors than I might have anticipated. I do not imagine there would be many away fans?

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They routinely get under 100 but have delivered significantly higher crowds on bigger occasions and midweek (which looks counter-intuitive but is probably down to players, coaches etc. from their huge youth network who have their own games on weekends). For their opening LL game home v Whitehill crowd was 300; at home to Glasgow University in the Scottish Cup, who have no support to speak of, was 250; and at home to Auchinleck Talbot in the Scottish Cup was 487, although would include few hundred away fans. I've seen it suggested their other two best home crowds last season were league games, v Spartans and BSCG, on a Wednesday and Friday respectively. I'd thought the talk of sub-100 tonight was way off in the context of those games and the Challenge Cup being a prestigious opportunity in the eyes of a non-league team. I could not have guessed precisely but perhaps higher 100s. Maybe their opposition being Hamilton Accies 'B' was more of a turn-off in counterweight to the other factors than I might have anticipated. I do not imagine there would be many away fans?

A  lot of the "crowd" at under 20 games are the young boys parents so I would imagine a few of them would be in the 119.

Suppose it depends how many make the trip for an away game.

If there was a sub-100 home support that surprises me, but as I say maybe the prestige of one of the biggest games in their short history was counteracted by uninspiring opposition.

Whatever the situation and breakdown, not a great advert for the tournament to have fewer than three times as many people in the stands as on and around the pitch.

Brings the average R1 attendance down to 290, with Rangers 'B' v Stirling University (at Stirling Albion) remaining.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

What kind of crowd do Cumbernauld normally get?  119 is higher than I expected to be honest.  

Likewise. Especially when they practically beg on Facebook for supporters and now offering Clyde ST holders free entry to their games in the hope that they can poach some of our fans when we're not playing/playing away from home :lol:

6 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Cool mate. I'm pleased for you that one midweek game has been long enough to sink this in your eyes. As expected you didn't quote an acceptable crowd figure as it's far easier to knock and put the boot in to different ideas than give things a chance. Looking forward to seeing Morton vs Celtic in the later rounds and see how the attendance compares with the norm.

^ Big team found.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe the English did actually come up with it first. Maybe we did. Maybe both did it entirely coincidentally. You could just keep an open mind on it rather than just presume it's copied. And even if it was copied, so what. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea.

I think you started arguing with yourself at this point.

I can understand the arguments saying the clubs will never vote to include 'Colt' sides into the league. However, if that is indeed the case then there is absolutely no benefit to this tournament even taking place. You're automatically telling people the competition is a total novelty joke. It doesn't help younger players progress because the senior sides will play weakened teams against them and it clearly isn't about to give clubs a big financial boost.

Basically the SPFL and its member clubs have absolutely no idea how to promote their own tournaments. If it doesn't include the Old Firm or ideas copied from England then they're totally lost. I really wish they'd managed to get Irn-Bru on board for the old Challenge Cup as they're actually working hard to promote this nonsense.

Not as hard as the apologists and contrarians on here of course...

19 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Using Stevie May as an example of a functioning youth system; fantastic. Chris Maguire has been more successful in England than Stevie May. Blisteringly average.

Yeah, getting £1m for a player we developed from the age of about 12 shows how shit our youth system is ^_^

Just ignore the fact we've got around five or six homegrown players likely to feature at some point in the league this season, or the fact we've spent a fortune upgrading our youth system and hiring the best coaches possible, a system which will just be starting to bear fruit (highlighted by five U17s getting full time contracts this Summer), for a lazy stereotype.

Yeah, getting £1m for a player we developed from the age of about 12 shows how shit our youth system is [emoji5]

Just ignore the fact we've got around five or six homegrown players likely to feature at some point in the league this season, or the fact we've spent a fortune upgrading our youth system and hiring the best coaches possible, a system which will just be starting to bear fruit (highlighted by five U17s getting full time contracts this Summer), for a lazy stereotype.

To be fair, that does not really mean that you have a good youth system. Once you get a few players playing regular first team football then you can start shouting from the heavens

On 03/08/2016 at 11:47, Back Beach said:

B'Jesus what a cracking game of footie at the Global Energy Stadium in Dingwall last night. Ross County 2 Brora Rangers 3 . Action end to end and a really even game. Brora rested a few players,but one of the best matches ive seen for a while. County youngesters really quick,big and strong and a rosey future for many of them. This would have benefitted them as much as it did Brora and a big thumbs up from the 350 plus crowd that turned up to watch. These games matter,all games matter for one reason or another. well done the sfa and irn bru a great competition.Looking forward to the next round draw.

What was the ticket price for that one? Glad to hear it was a good game, a wee bit sad not to go through because as you say, the experience certainly won't hurt them but definitely not the end of the world.

16 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Cool mate. I'm pleased for you that one midweek game has been long enough to sink this in your eyes. As expected you didn't quote an acceptable crowd figure as it's far easier to knock and put the boot in to different ideas than give things a chance. Looking forward to seeing Morton vs Celtic in the later rounds and see how the attendance compares with the norm.

"They're trying something different".  So are North Korea, it doesn't make the idea good or worth supporting.

To be fair, that does not really mean that you have a good youth system. Once you get a few players playing regular first team football then you can start shouting from the heavens

Clark and Kane both started over 10 games last season, while Thomson made double figures in terms of appearances too. We had about eight players regularly featuring in the three lower divisions too

5 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I can understand the arguments saying the clubs will never vote to include 'Colt' sides into the league. However, if that is indeed the case then there is absolutely no benefit to this tournament even taking place. You're automatically telling people the competition is a total novelty joke. It doesn't help younger players progress because the senior sides will play weakened teams against them and it clearly isn't about to give clubs a big financial boost.

It 'automatically' does nothing of the sort. It is a 'Challenge' Cup - the clue is in the name that it is not umbilically tied to any organisation or format. Including teams from foreign countries doesn't make the tournament a 'joke' despite the fact that they won't be playing in the Scottish national league - indeed that argument that has been quietly ditched while people cry about Colt teams for a while. Colt sides are in the same position as teams from TFS or Wales: guest entrants whose top sides may contribute something to the tournament in terms of outside interest and whose lesser entrants will drop out very quickly. 

The only people attempting to turn the tournament into a novelty joke are torn-faced losers like Barry Ferguson, humiliating his club against his 'rival's' under 20 side. They've largely failed though: because outside of this forum next to no one knows or cares about this early stage in the tournament. 

Basically the SPFL and its member clubs have absolutely no idea how to promote their own tournaments. If it doesn't include the Old Firm or ideas copied from England then they're totally lost. I really wish they'd managed to get Irn-Bru on board for the old Challenge Cup as they're actually working hard to promote this nonsense.

Utter bollocks. There is no evidence that the SPFL took the idea for Colt teams from down south: Colt teams have been on the agenda in Scotland for a decade or so, while they have only been seriously discussed for the English game over the last few years. The SPFL alongside the TFS and Welsh authorities have quite clearly developed a cross-border aspect to the Challenge Cup that doesn't revolve around the Old Firm and wasn't "copied from England".

In terms of tired and inaccurate cliche bingo then, your ramblings are comparable to a Davie Provan column. 

I like the introduction of Welsh and Northern Irish teams. It gives the tournament a bit of profile as one of the few (only?) club tournaments in the UK featuring teams from different leagues/ countries. If my team played in leagues 1, 2 or championship, I'd love the prospect of a trip to either country for a competitive match... it would be like playing in Europe but without such a long journey!

The Colts thing does nothing to improve the profile, it gives the tournament the feel of a reserve competition and a bit of an experiment.

All just personal opinion, obviously.

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

It 'automatically' does nothing of the sort. It is a 'Challenge' Cup - the clue is in the name that it is not umbilically tied to any organisation or format. Including teams from foreign countries doesn't make the tournament a 'joke' despite the fact that they won't be playing in the Scottish national league - indeed that argument that has been quietly ditched while people cry about Colt teams for a while. Colt sides are in the same position as teams from TFS or Wales: guest entrants whose top sides may contribute something to the tournament in terms of outside interest and whose lesser entrants will drop out very quickly. 

The only people attempting to turn the tournament into a novelty joke are torn-faced losers like Barry Ferguson, humiliating his club against his 'rival's' under 20 side. They've largely failed though: because outside of this forum next to no one knows or cares about this early stage in the tournament. 

Utter bollocks. There is no evidence that the SPFL took the idea for Colt teams from down south: Colt teams have been on the agenda in Scotland for a decade or so, while they have only been seriously discussed for the English game over the last few years. The SPFL alongside the TFS and Welsh authorities have quite clearly developed a cross-border aspect to the Challenge Cup that doesn't revolve around the Old Firm and wasn't "copied from England".

In terms of tired and inaccurate cliche bingo then, your ramblings are comparable to a Davie Provan column. 

On the agenda for what?

Finding sposors for Scottish football will not be an easy task and anyone, or organisation, who does put money in to our game(however small) should be respected.

Im sure Clyde's actions on Tuesday will not have gone unnoticed in the boardroom of the Irn Bru people.

I personally think it is unacceptable. It is a thumbed nose to fans, the opposition, the sponsor, the Challenge Cup and its organisers.

Come off it, St Johnstone have one of the best youth systems in the country. Everyone knows that.

17 hours ago, vikingTON said:

No evidence the SPFL took the idea from England, yet you state 'Colt' teams have been on the agenda for "a decade" with no evidence whatsoever...standard contrarian chuntering from you VT. 

Outside of this forum, no one is about to care about this tournament full stop. Why would they, because Aberdeen Under 20s get a trip to play Bala Town?! Again, if this excites people in any way then I'm clearly out of the loop.

1 hour ago, conley said:

Finding sposors for Scottish football will not be an easy task and anyone, or organisation, who does put money in to our game(however small) should be respected.

Im sure Clyde's actions on Tuesday will not have gone unnoticed in the boardroom of the Irn Bru people.

I personally think it is unacceptable. It is a thumbed nose to fans, the opposition, the sponsor, the Challenge Cup and its organisers.

How is it unacceptable? They can play anyone they want in any competition as long as they're eligible.

Archived