Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

That is indeed an excellent article and almost mirrors my own situation and feelings 100%

FWIW I would be quite happy using the Euro. Might even be worth stating from the outset that that is what we would use. I have no emotional attachment to the pound. IMO it doesn't really matter what the currency is called as long as it buys stuff!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People vastly overstate the currency issue. The solution was there right from the start. We need our own currency, and just like Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland etc we can choose to peg, float freely or do whatever when circumstances permit.

We will be under no pressure to join the Euro, perversely because the oil price will mean our deficits are too big to join the ERM.

Is setting up our own currency a simple process?

People vastly overstate the currency issue. The solution was there right from the start. We need our own currency, and just like Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland etc we can choose to peg, float freely or do whatever when circumstances permit.

We will be under no pressure to join the Euro, perversely because the oil price will mean our deficits are too big to join the ERM.

If we counted as a new entrant we would have to commit to the Euro eventually but it seems you can put off doing so indefinitely.

Is setting up our own currency a simple process?

No, but see above comment by Madwullie. Rather than launching the smackerooni, the best approach might be to do a Montenegro and peg things directly to the euro even before meeting the standard criteria. The RoI did something similar with the punt for decades where the pound was concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_and_the_euro

To a point. I got fed up when he talked about self immolation and started salivating at the prospect of more fund managers coming to setup base here.

I want an alternative to the neoliberal, corporate obsessed society that we find ourselves in.

Every journey starts with a single step.

It was one of the key issues of the NO campaign that seemed to sway people. Whilst the perception may be more important than the reality it is an issue that any future YES campaign would need to appear to have a more credible response to than in 2014.

I'm a 2014 YES and Leave voter who is now neutral until I weigh up all the options which will be brought to the table and I will listen all the lies which will be spouted by both sides before deciding if I'm YES or NO should there be a second Scottish referendum. I simply won't vote YES purely for the sake of it which I believe many of the younger generation did in 2014

I suggest Gnasher also doesn't rush into any sort of rash decisions until any exiting negotiations and agreements have been finalised

As it stands at this moment in time I don't see the need for a second independence referendum, we won't be truelly independent until we rid ourselves of Westminster and Brussels. There's no point in jumping from the frying into the fire.

Archived