Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

I simply won't vote YES purely for the sake of it which I believe many of the younger generation did in 2014

Whereas the older generation carefully poured through all the arguments and decided that, when all factors were brought into play, they'd vote No because 'the war or pensions or some shit', aye?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because he dares to have differing opinion to yourself?

Calm down you drama queen. I've been 'exposed' to the man's rancid opinions for years. But what mostly made me think he was a total p***k in this particular instance was that picture of him looking like a total p***k.

Whereas the older generation carefully poured through all the arguments and decided that, when all factors were brought into play, they'd vote No because 'the war or pensions or some shit', aye?

My dogs know more about the arguments than most of these auld b*****ds that keep fcuking it up for the younger generations.

If we counted as a new entrant we would have to commit to the Euro eventually but it seems you can put off doing so indefinitely.

Yes, exactly. Given Scotland's likely deficit they'll be in no rush to insist it join the Euro for at least 15 years or so I wouldn't have thought.

It was one of the key issues of the NO campaign that seemed to sway people. Whilst the perception may be more important than the reality it is an issue that any future YES campaign would need to appear to have a more credible response to than in 2014.

For sure. I think it mostly is a perception issue. The SNP wedded themselves to something that wasn't in the interests of Scotland, wasn't in the interests of the rest of the UK, and was only there to avoid scaring the horses because people don't like uncertainty or change.

This time it's different. The pound is not the bastion of stability in the face of global shocks. It doesn't protect our trade. And, crucially, the political instability of the UK itself is manifest. People are more likely to forgive an element of uncertainty with the currency if they are trading it for greater certainty of other matters.

More than that though, the emotional argument for cooperation, which frankly will have been a gut factor influencing a lot of moderate No voters, died at 5:30am on Friday. Whether folk liked it or not in 2014, it wasn't just risk/uncertainty or fear that made people vote No. There was heart in that too and it's lazy to assume that the heart that was there was just the Orange Order tendency.

For some yes, for a sizeable minority? No. There are too many who object to what they perceive as "English ruke" they don't mind decisions being made in Brussels as it's not the "English".

There is a real sanctimonious streak amongst large numbers of Yes, and Remain voters. Yes voters dismiss No voters as "shitebags", "bigots" and "selfish" and suggest that all yes voters were motivated by some altruistic vision of a better wold for everyone- that's simply not true. There is a clear tendency amongst a large number of Yes voters to reduce the motivations of over a million people to simple, negative associations. The same is true of Remain. They Brexiters- all 16/17 million of them are simply reduced to "racists", "xenophobes", "thick morons". There is a complete failure to even attempt to understand the motivations of the other side and instead a simplistic desire to stigmatise and label because they don't agree.

Its amazing that you have only seen these insults from the side you didn't support in these referendums, everything you have just listed that Leave voters were called is exactly what the No voters were calling the Yes voters in 2014 either you have a filter that blocks out abuse from the side you support or are incredibly blinkered both sides of a referendum will have people who stoop to name calling stop trying to make out it was a one way thing.  If I go to any pro UK discussion for Scotland I will find them calling Yes supporters NAZIs, racists and anti-English and general insults about how backward they are.  I voted Yes in 2014 and Remain in the last one but I have seen petty name calling from both sides.  

I simply won't vote YES purely for the sake of it which I believe many of the younger generation did in 2014

How many of the aged No voters do you think pored over the pros and cons of both sides?

Its amazing that you have only seen these insults from the side you didn't support in these referendums, everything you have just listed that Leave voters were called is exactly what the No voters were calling the Yes voters in 2014 either you have a filter that blocks out abuse from the side you support or are incredibly blinkered both sides of a referendum will have people who stoop to name calling stop trying to make out it was a one way thing. If I go to any pro UK discussion for Scotland I will find them calling Yes supporters NAZIs, racists and anti-English and general insults about how backward they are. I voted Yes in 2014 and Remain in the last one but I have seen petty name calling from both sides.

Yup. Spot on.

As a previous no voter I now have grave doubts about the project that is United Kingdom. As many have said the fact that the EU question was heavily drummed in the independence referendum, deems it ironic to what happened on Friday morning.

And the little Englander attitude now pouring out of the English down south is sickening. And the thought of Boris or even worse Gove as PM scares the shit out of me.

I have no great love for Sturgeon she is spot on on what she is doing now.

A second referendum is inevitable as the political divide between us, England and Wales is wider than I thought imaginable.

A second referendum must be granted for the Scottish position.

You do get that the bank of england has pretty much said they are having to use reserves etc? The value of the pound is going to plummet in the coming weeks.

That is made up shite. The BoE have stated that they are ready with liquidity, they have not made any mention of intervention in the market.

At the close of play, Friday, it was up 2.4%

From the lowest it had been with the dollar since the 1980's. Hasn't done so badly with the Euro as it's taken a hit too, down about 5 or 6%.

It's extremely easy to use Google, try it.

Yeh I know Googles great for finding stuff and things.

Google ofcourse reveals that here was a minor spat with other oil experts and the UK govt around August 2014 over the amount of recoverable barrels in the North Sea. Ian Woods figures were roughly half way at 16bn to 21 barrels between the other industry experts higher figure of around 25bn and UK govs unsurprisingly ridiculous figure of 10bn.

No one made mention of price forecast.

.....So Britnat.....You said lots of people including Ian Wood predicted the oil price drop. Can you evidence where prior to the 2014 referendum, lots of people, including Ian Wood predicted a major fall in oil prices....

If you can't...you made it up.

Archived