Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owen Smith sets out some good policy ideas that I would love to see Labour adopt, but then undoes it by saying something sexist.

It's refreshing to hear Labour setting out practical Labour policy ideas again though.

Owen Smith sets out some good policy ideas that I would love to see Labour adopt, but then undoes it by saying something sexist.

It's refreshing to hear Labour setting out practical Labour policy ideas again though.

When I read he wanted to smash Theresa,I thought he meant a Keith lemon backdoor arrangement.

2 minutes ago, mjw said:

When I read he wanted to smash Theresa,I thought he meant a Keith lemon backdoor arrangement.

That's a hell of a mental image to leave folk with.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

There's argument over whether it was actually sexist or some Welsh rugby term.

It was refreshing to hear some actual policies though, rather and just pathetic meme's and hard done by stories. I hope there's enough pressure on Corbyn now to reveal so of his own, but I suppose it depends how confident he is and if he thinks he's already won. It's easier to be always against something without providing any solutions.

So 29% of people who allegedly voted Labour last time, won't vote Labour this time round?

Well that settles it. Labour should totally force Corbyn out undemocratically for the sake of those 29% and a hand full of swing voters. The other 71% will be no great loss i'm sure. :lol:

So 29% of people who allegedly voted Labour last time, won't vote Labour this time round?

Well that settles it. Labour should totally force Corbyn out undemocratically for the sake of those 29% and a hand full of swing voters. The other 71% will be no great loss i'm sure. :lol:

You are assuming the 71% who voted for Miliband's Labour wouldn't vote for anyone but Corbyn's.

If we lose 29% of the people who voted for us in an election we lost that would take a lot of support from elsewhere to win the election.

Just now, jmothecat said:

You are assuming the 71% who voted for Miliband's Labour wouldn't vote for anyone but Corbyn's.

If we lose 29% of the people who voted for us in an election we lost that would take a lot of support from elsewhere to win the election.

You are assuming the 29% who said they won't vote for Corbyn's Labour aren't just saying so in order to get it all their own way.

Voting%20intention%2025-26%20July-01.png

YouGov seem to confirm the trend towards Tory and way from Labour. 

Given that we are 15 months into parliament this is when governments usually are struggling in the polls. Labour are pretty much at or around their core vote. "At least" the libs are not picking up votes of off them. Someone I know jokes Corbyns aim is one million members and one million voters. :rolleyes: "jokes". 

Voting%20intention%2025-26%20July-01.png

YouGov seem to confirm the trend towards Tory and way from Labour. 

Given that we are 15 months into parliament this is when governments usually are struggling in the polls. Labour are pretty much at or around their core vote. "At least" the libs are not picking up votes of off them. Someone I know jokes Corbyns aim is one million members and one million voters. :rolleyes: "jokes". 

You're still going by the old rules of Westminster politics - and following the polling norms. By that standard there wouldn't be a Tory government and we'd have comfortably voted remain.

I see the suggestion of a progressive alliance is being put forward in the Guardian. That seems to me to be a very sensible approach.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

You're still going by the old rules of Westminster politics - and following the polling norms. 

"following polling norms"? lol.

I have been saying the same thing about polling for years on this site, they do not give the exact result but do indicate trends. Unlike you, I took time to understand what polling was and how it does and does not work. It relies of modelling the responses into groups that anticipate polling day behaviour. It is a snapshot of current opinions and has inherent uncertainties, but within those bounds it can be used to guage changing attitudes.

and we'd have comfortably voted remain. 

The GE result (which incidentally I loudly expressed my fears over) was because the polling lacked priming, that is set up questions before asking about intentions. The referendum polling had problems because referendums are usually one offs and its hard to work out who will turn out and and how they differ in their answers given to pollsters vs how they vote on the day. The lack of long term data to work with makes referendums more difficult to model, despite this several pollsters nailed it. 

finalpolls.png

The GE result (which incidentally I loudly expressed my fears over) was because the polling lacked priming, that is set up questions before asking about intentions. The referendum polling had problems because referendums are usually one offs and its hard to work out who will turn out and and how they differ in their answers given to pollsters vs how they vote on the day. The lack of long term data to work with makes referendums more difficult to model, despite this several pollsters nailed it. 

finalpolls.png

So you're admitting that your prediction of electoral doom for labour in a few years is basically pointless?

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So you're admitting

If this is what gives your ego comfort then there is little I can do to change your mind. 

Data is data. Extrapolating information from data requires models, "All models are wrong but some are useful" George Box. 

This discussion is a little above you really.  

If this is what gives your ego comfort then there is little I can do to change your mind. 

Data is data. Extrapolating information from data requires models, "All models are wrong but some are useful" George Box. 

This discussion is a little above you really.  

The two issues I had with your post were as follows:

- labour's core vote? The party are going through a civil war and I don't think you can make any prediction about the core vote of the labour party. The soul of the party is up for grabs and a split is a real prospect.

- you suggested that mid term is when governments are normally at their most vulnerable. We've just had a massively divisive referendum and now there's a new prime minister. The 'norms' do not apply here.

30 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

- you suggested that mid term is when governments are normally at their most vulnerable.

Data says yes.

We've just had a massively divisive referendum and now there's a new prime minister. The 'norms' do not apply here.

New Prime Ministers have a bounce. I have said this over and over and over again. 

This are always happening in politics that are divisive. Most Labour voters wanted an In vote, May wanted an In vote. Technically Corbyn wanted an In vote. Why would the Out vote favour the Tories? UKIP has fallen, Labour voters are not departing to UKIP in any great numbers. How does Labour win voters in the age groups 35-65, in the Midlands in the C1C2 economic bands? That is a crude "over view. Its all that is available publicly. In private the parties will have much more sophisticated data. But that is expensive and the newspapers dont buy that. 

Edited to change In to Out

17 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Far too much reliance on data.

Guesses and astrology are so much better. 

Things are changing very quickly 

Not an argument against data. 

the data becomes meaningless. 

Does it? If you ask people at a specific time what their opinion is that remains valid for that time: for ever. 

Polls are snapshots of opinions at points in time. 

Why are you struggling with the basics here? Have you really spent no time learning about this stuff before offering your "opinions" on it?

Archived