Quarter Finals

Mr Bairn

Poland v Portugal (Thursday)

Belgium v Wales (Friday)

Germany v Italy (Saturday)

France v Iceland (Sunday)

All 8pm

I fancy Poland to finish off Portugal. Portugal had three draws in the group then got played off the park by Croatia only to get a very late ET winner. I'm gonna say 1-0 with Lewandowski finally getting on the scoresheet.

I can't see past Belgium ending Wales dream. The Belgians were poor in the opener but have really come good since. Bale will get on the scoresheet again but the Belgians get a late score to win 3-1.

Germany v Italy is the game that I expect to determine which side goes on to win the tournament. In the end the Italians should edge it purely because their defence doesn't even look like giving away goals at the moment. I think they'll win 1-0 thanks to a late goal by Graziano Pelle.

The last game is a really tough call for me because France have been totally unconvincing (two injury time winners, a 0-0 draw and had to come from behind in the last 16). I think Iceland are going to drag them all the way to penalties after a 1-1 draw but the French will hold their nerve and win the shootout.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon that Portugal will shitfest another 1-0, Belgium will put some manners on the Welsh, France will beat Iceland but only just, but I can't pick a winner out if Germany and Italy. If pushed I'm going to say Italy.

Poland 0 - 0 Portugal

Crap game and Portugal to sneak it on penalties

Wales 1 - 3 Belgium 

Looking stronger and better each game should be too much for Wales

Germany 2 - 3 Italy

Class will take it, they getting better and Germany not.

France 2 - 1 Iceland

94th minute dodgy winner,

Hope I wrong in the last one though,

Although if they go through would just get England stating they lost to a Semi-Finalist that have beat France.

A repeat of the #scenes of the 2006 semi between Germany and Italy would be glorious. 2-0 Italy please.

Poland to finally beat an eye-meltingly tedious Portugal 1-0 AET

Belgium will probably pump Wales in a high scoring game, 4-2

France to edge Iceland 2-0.

hopefully Belgium will but Bales back in their place!

And that place would be... Beaten quarter finalists? Sure they'll cope.

I think there's something to the idea that the Belgium side are only picking up their understanding of how to play together as they progress in the tournament, as opposed to the effects that a mumbleclown like Wilmots can achieve in a short international break. Expecting them to give the Welsh a gubbing tbh. 

Poland- For the good of football, Portugal are such a bad side. Plus the majority of people in the area I live in is Portuguese and they are more insufferable and unrealistic than the English at times

Belgium- I think they may go all the way to win it tbh, don't see Wales giving them much of a problem

Germany- Edge it in ET, but this game could go either way

France- Will overpower Iceland, I think Iceland are a great team but I feel they will bow out here against the first good team they've got to face in the tournament 

Poland v Portugal (Thursday)

Belgium v Wales (Friday)

Germany v Italy (Saturday)

France v Iceland (Sunday)

Out of the last eight Portugal are probably the team that least deserves to be there.  Poland haven't scored more than one goal in a game, Milik has squandered chance after chance and Ledwandowski has been nowhere but they look solid at the back with Glik and Pazdan.  So this could easily be a 1-0 or 0-0.  On form Poland should scrap through but Ronaldo gives Portugal that little something extra so you can never completely rule them out.  Prediction Poland 1 Portugal 0.

When Belgium have really had to play they have generally put in strong and convincing performances, the 3-0 win over Ireland and the 4-0 win over Hungary are two of the biggest wins in the competition so far.  Wales did well to top the group but it was one of the weaker sections and their only convincing performance was against the weakest team in the competition.  They will go in confident having taken 4 points off Belgium in the qualifiers but I think Belgium will be too strong this time.  Prediction Belgium 3 Wales 1.

Germany's record against Italy is abysmal and it must be hanging over them that they have failed to beat Italy in 8 Finals ties.  Antonio Conte has been the coach of the tournament by a distance, they haven't conceded a goal thanks to the rock solid defence and have been worthy winners against two strong sides in Belgium and Spain.  Germany's best performance was against Slovakia in the Rnd of 16 so they may be coming good at the right time but before they struggled to break down Poland, could only score once against N. Ireland and have relied on Neuer to keep them in games at times.  Prediction Germany 0 Italy 2

Iceland have been unfairly dismissed by some and subjected to hyperbole by others but the truth is for all their hard work and team spirit they are probably the technically poorest team in the quarter finals.  Giving away possession to England with their out of form strikers and workman like and uninspiring midfielders is one thing, France are a different kettle of cod.  You could say France have been a bit lucky with late goals but that's where real quality shows it's self. The defence doesn't look water tight, particularly Adil Rami, so Iceland will fancy their chances of scoring but superior technical ability and a fervent home crowd will see France through.  Prediction France 2 Iceland 1.

Archived