Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016

Favourite England Tournament Lawlfest 1990-2016  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ali Mccleods 78 bragging of how Scotland would be the champions was even more deluded than our shower of shite doon here. To be fair to him they had a decent amount of Liverpool players. Still didn't work out quite how the song predicted. ...pleasing

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ali Mccleods 78 bragging of how Scotland would be the champions was even more deluded than our shower of shite doon here. To be fair to him they had a decent amount of Liverpool players. Still didn't work out quite how the song predicted. ...pleasing

^ ^ ^

Broken by Iceland.

Hubristic yes. Deluded, no.

That was a very strong squad. It boasted only a couple of Liverpool players, but they were among their best ones. It also had a decent representation from the then league champions, Nottingham Forest, as well as plenty of others from England's top flight.

What ensued was dismal and embarrassing, but as a nation we learnt something about our place in the football scheme of things. Despite countless reminders, this learning process appears to be something that England struggles with.

Hubristic yes. Deluded, no. That was a very strong squad. It boasted only a couple of Liverpool players, but they were among their best ones. It also had a decent representation from the then league champions, Nottingham Forest, as well as plenty of others from England's top flight. What ensued was dismal and embarrassing, but as a nation we learnt something about our place in the football scheme of things. Despite countless reminders, this learning process appears to be something that England struggles with.

♫  Yabba dabba do, we support the boys in blue  ♫

Did we no beat Holland 3-2 and they were the eventual runners-up.

I can remember one tournament that England won.

It took place in France as a four-some.

France, Italy, England & Brazil.

England beat France & Italy.

Brazil drew with France & Italy.

The final was England v Brazil.

Brazil won 3-1 but because England won their other games while Brazil only drew, England were declared the winner.

You should probably try less hard. You might actually get a bite.

Sweden 92: Pumped oot, group stage, rock bottom

The 1992 tournament was also special.

The Sweden v England game was on the telly.

ITV were broadcasting it.

I think England scored first and a faint group table was shown in the background with England qualifying for the next stage.

Sweden never read the script as they then scored 2 goals and England were left bottom of the group.

That was also the competition where Scotland beat the auld USSR 3-0 which allowed Germany to progress.

I believe that the German team manager promised Craig Brown a case/bottle of scotch.

Of course that was the tournament that Denmark won after Yugoslavia was barred because they were at war with themselves.

Apparently the Denmark players (having failed to qualify) were on their holidays when they were all contacted by phone.

A remarkable and fairy tale result ending.

Two posts in a row you mentioned games being on the telly. It was late 80s, early 90s. Games had been on telly during tournaments since 1970 that I remember and probably before.

Two posts in a row you mentioned games being on the telly. It was late 80s, early 90s. Games had been on telly during tournaments since 1970 that I remember and probably before.

What's your point?

The place I saw the games was on the telly.

That's how I remember them.

Yes, I wondered why he was saying that too.

As you say, big tournaments received live coverage long before we got used to live matches from around the world each day of the week.

Bizarrely though, I recall that the Euros in 84, in France barely got screened at all. The final was, but little else was. All we got of the epic France/ Portugal semi final was highlights later on.

It seemed strange, even then. There was no British representation, but it still was an odd anomaly.

Yes, I wondered why he was saying that too.As you say, big tournaments received live coverage long before we got used to live matches from around the world each day of the week.Bizarrely though, I recall that the Euros in 84, in France barely got screened at all. The final was, but little else was. All we got of the epic France/ Portugal semi final was highlights later on. It seemed strange, even then. There was no British representation, but it still was an odd anomaly.

Yeah my only memory of that tournament was the Spanish keeper's howler. Was it Luis Arconada?

I'm pretty sure loads of games from Spain 82 were on TV

Yeah my only memory of that tournament was the Spanish keeper's howler. Was it Luis Arconada?

Spain 82 was on the tele. First tournament i was old enough to remember.

Spain 82 was on the tele. First tournament i was old enough to remember.

Me too. I remember coming in from school and there being live football on the TV.

My parents never let me stay up to watch some games :(

Me too. I remember coming in from school and there being live football on the TV.

My parents never let me stay up to watch some games :(

Before I jump to the wrong conclusion, can you let me know if you were a pupil or a teacher at this point. Many thanks.

I think the Spain 82 tournament received the same sort of blanket coverage that tournaments do now, as did Argentina 78 and the 1980 European Championship Finals in Italy.

It's what makes the treatment of the finals in 1984 a bit odd.

I think the Spain 82 tournament received the same sort of blanket coverage that tournaments do now, as did Argentina 78 and the 1980 European Championship Finals in Italy. It's what makes the treatment of the finals in 1984 a bit odd.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2016/jun/10/france-euro-1984-tv-bbc-itv-platini

This suggests it was simply a case of no home nations = no coverage. A bit pish really.

Also a timely reminder of France's iconic Adidas shirts of that tournament. Glorious.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2016/jun/10/france-euro-1984-tv-bbc-itv-platini

This suggests it was simply a case of no home nations = no coverage. A bit pish really.

Also a timely reminder of France's iconic Adidas shirts of that tournament. Glorious.

The France kit was great but Adidas standards were , erm.....variable in that tournament

football_shirt_41068_1_369x492x1.jpg

Archived