Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

49 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I know some people have 100%'d RDR2. Which challenge pissed you off the most?

Almost gave up on getting 100% because of a gambling challenge. Had to play blackjack and win rounds having taken 3 extra cards I think it was. The challenge required you to win a round in that way on 3 separate occasions.

I found it impossible. I couldn't get it to happen once, let alone 3 times. Then it happened about 3 times in 20 minutes. 

My favourite bit about going for the 100% stuff was collectibles etc, just getting to ride around the open world finding shit. Lovely stuff.

2 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Almost gave up on getting 100% because of a gambling challenge. Had to play blackjack and win rounds having taken 3 extra cards I think it was. The challenge required you to win a round in that way on 3 separate occasions.

I found it impossible. I couldn't get it to happen once, let alone 3 times. Then it happened about 3 times in 20 minutes. 

My favourite bit about going for the 100% stuff was collectibles etc, just getting to ride around the open world finding shit. Lovely stuff.

That Blackjack one is about the easiest one I've had, considering what I knew about it beforehand. Took about half an hour. Busting out people in poker was much more irritating, including one where I had the guy beat right up until the final card then he pulled something out his arse.

Finding animals for the hunting ones though, woof. 

34 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That Blackjack one is about the easiest one I've had, considering what I knew about it beforehand. Took about half an hour. Busting out people in poker was much more irritating, including one where I had the guy beat right up until the final card then he pulled something out his arse.

Finding animals for the hunting ones though, woof. 

Aye, now that you mention it the poker was also a b*****d. As you say that had an uncanny ability to pull off a miracle right when I thought I had them.

While it wasn't easy, I quite enjoyed the hunting requirements. 

What a game. May give it yet another play through after I've finished Ghost of Tsushima.

I'm playing through it again just now and my next gambling challenge is the busting one. 

I don't mind most of the hunting ones but the ones with woodpeckers and other small birds/animals are a pain. 

I also dislike the final herbalist where you have to pick everything but only because there's nothing to track what you have already picked. 

On 30/12/2022 at 21:34, Miguel Sanchez said:

I know some people have 100%'d RDR2. Which challenge pissed you off the most?

Riding about for collectibles in general wasn't that bad, but the collect everything herbalist challenge was infuriating in not counting any you'd collected before the challenge started.

I had a hell of a time finding a 3 star robin, for the hunting requests, got one on a rock on the river in Roanake Ridge then I was unable to pick it up because it was in the water despite being able to see it.

Some of the sharpshooter challenges were also annoying in a fiddly way rather than difficult, eg needing to hijack a train and get it moving yourself to do the killing five birds from a moving train challenge because drivers would just stop the train otherwise.

Ah, the 100%...I completed it a couple of weeks ago, had always got pretty close, but just ran out of steam towards the end.  Think I made it to 90.7% or something before giving up.  But this time I looked at a guide to doing it which set out the sort of order you could do it in to make things easier.  Previously I'd ended up with long lists of challenges left with nothing to break it up, so I'd fully recommend doing it that way if you're trying it.  It really breaks things up.  I think by the time I finished the epilogue I had something like 95% and just a little bit to clean up.

Unfortunately, one of the things I had to clean up was the Exotics quest.  I FUCKING HATE THAT QUEST.  I'd put it off and put it off, even though the guide told me to start doing it in like chapter 2.  So I spent hours trekking back and forth between apparent spawn points of those fucking birds, watching nothing appear, saving, reloading, resting, not finding anything...fucking maddening.  And then once I got 30 of those feathers, I found out there was another three fucking sets of things to collect.

Other than that, it was the hunting requests stuff that most gave problems, particularly on the wee birds that were an absolute nightmare to spot. I think I chased that robin up and down the river for hours.  I didn't find the gambling ones too bad comparatively, as I was chipping away at them while doing story missions.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2019 at 13:49, 19QOS19 said:

Well I think I'm officially starting to lose it. I've been focussing on the Exotic side mission where you have to find egret plume and the one where the woman wants perfect bird carcass mailed to her. The latter is needing a Robin just now, as I said earlier in the thread, and I've still to get it. I've been at both for almost 4 hours I'd guess and it's all I've been doing the last 3 times I've played.

Today a bird was on the street quite close to me and I looked at it and genuinely thought in my mind "I reckon that's a Perfect one". On top of that I've been looking in the fields when I pass, wondering what kind of birds are there. I really hope I don't see a Robin at any point for fear I may lob a brick at it.

I used to think 'Videogame Violence' was bullshit. Starting to question it actually...

One time when deep in a Football Manager 17 phase, I was at a nightclub and chatting to a lassie I fancied when another guy came along and started chatting to her as well. In my mind I immediately saw the player transfer screen on Football Manager that showed a list of 'interested parties' and I thought about publicly declaring interest to unsettle her.

Sometimes you don't know how utterly consumed by a game you are until you try to do real life things again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this for the Xbox and I’m playing through it for the third time.  I still love this game.

However today, I took a wander down to Shady Belle to take out the Lemoyne Raiders gang hide out.  I forgot to take my weapons from my horse, so I only had two side arm revolvers.  I got shot to shit, and needed to take a health cure.  I took it, but it wasn’t really a health cure it was moon shine.  I hadn’t realised until I took my third one, and I was in a gang war absolutely steaming.

Dead Eye didn’t work, your aim is like driving a shopping trolley, and I went through close to 200 bullets killing the eight or nine guys.  The rest I killed by launching fire bottles.  It was both hilarious and stressful as I had a legendary fish on my horse so couldn’t die without having to do it all again.

I’ve done this 💯 on Ps5 with a further play through and here I am on the third play through discovering a new detail in the game.

My advice to all is don’t drink moonshine in a gang hideout.  And definitely do not drink four bottles of it.

My brother got me RDR2 a few years ago for PS4 and I've still barely touched it. Clearly an astoundingly good game, I've just yet to find the time and motivation to get properly stuck into it. I'm not someone who's worried about the age of games or even systems (still happy with my dusty PS4) so I will eventually get around to playing this one day.

Finally finished all the challenges. I liked how they clearly ran out of ideas for the Bandit challenges. One is deliver 2 wagons to the fence, one is deliver 3 wagons to the fence in one day and one is deliver 7 wagons to the fence. It's almost as if "you can be good or bad!" is exactly as much bullshit as it sounds.

• 1 month later...

Finished 100%. I like how the game tried to do a poignant moment with some music in the background here. It might have landed if I hadn't spent the previous 30 hours in game trying to hunt animals that didn't show up, or didn't have the right number of stars, or did have the right number stars but didn't after I'd shot them.

~40 more missions to gold, ~30 more animals to study and skin and then I'll finally have the platinum and can do my best to forget the game ever existed.

On 07/05/2023 at 21:39, Miguel Sanchez said:

Finished 100%. I like how the game tried to do a poignant moment with some music in the background here. It might have landed if I hadn't spent the previous 30 hours in game trying to hunt animals that didn't show up, or didn't have the right number of stars, or did have the right number stars but didn't after I'd shot them.

~40 more missions to gold, ~30 more animals to study and skin and then I'll finally have the platinum and can do my best to forget the game ever existed.

Go Away GIF

• 4 weeks later...

I have just about made it to 100% on my third run through.  The last thing I have to do is visit Arthur’s grave, and I’m just not ready for that 😂

The hunting missions were a lot easier this time, as every one of that shitey wee birds fly about the rundown fort if you wait about long enough.

The challenges that I found the most difficult was disarming three people in a row, and shooting three hats off in the one dead eye.

I eventually just went to the poker table in Saint Denis and shot the top hats off the mugs at the table.  Until that point I attempted it several times in Van Horn and had to massacre the whole town each time I attempted it.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I have just about made it to 100% on my third run through.  The last thing I have to do is visit Arthur’s grave, and I’m just not ready for that 😂

The hunting missions were a lot easier this time, as every one of that shitey wee birds fly about the rundown fort if you wait about long enough.

The challenges that I found the most difficult was disarming three people in a row, and shooting three hats off in the one dead eye.

I eventually just went to the poker table in Saint Denis and shot the top hats off the mugs at the table.  Until that point I attempted it several times in Van Horn and had to massacre the whole town each time I attempted it.

I think I went to a poker game for the hats as well.

I tip my virtual cowboy hat to everyone who has completed this 100%. I love the game but have neither the patience nor skill to do that.

Clint Eastwood Nod GIF by GritTV

Edited by Swarley

I think probably 90% of the 100% run is pretty enjoyable.  I saw bits of the game I'd never seen before and really felt like I was getting a full view of something put together with a lot of care and love.  

But the remaining 10% was utterly fucking miserable and I never want to see it ever again.