145th Open Championship

Davis Love III

Who will win the 145th Open Championship?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Always used to think he was a good guy eg applauding rose I think it was holing a monster putt at medinah....but I thought his treatment of Watson at gleaneagles was pretty vile.

Must have missed that, what did he do? I've always thought he comes across very well tbh.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Always used to think he was a good guy eg applauding rose I think it was holing a monster putt at medinah....but I thought his treatment of Watson at gleaneagles was pretty vile.

He maybe shouldn`t have said what he did in a public forum but by all accounts Watson was an absolute arse as captain from the viewpoint of the American team. He apparently scoffed at a gift given to him by the team at a team meeting the night before the singles and was highly critical of their effort and ability leaving Mickelson to virtually ignore Watson and make an attempt to lift an already demoralised team. 2 sides to every tale I suppose.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Spieth having a bit of a shocker so far

There's a few guys I'd worry I'd miss out on seeing by only going on Sunday and not today as well. He wasn't one of them as I assumed he'd be challenging, not struggling to make the cut!

Is there some sort of forfeit in the Reed/Rose/Lowry group for first guy to put on a jumper? Everyone else seems to have about four layers on and that trio are kicking around in shirt sleeves! EDIT: Not sure they were all playing together. Oh well...

The only flaw with Sky's coverage so far has been the wire cam at the practice range going on fire. Probably just as well it wasn't the one at the Postage Stamp.

Must have missed that, what did he do? I've always thought he comes across very well tbh.

He basically threw Watson under the bus at the press conference. As someone else has said Watson wasn't much of a captain especially compared to mcginley and there are always two sides to a story but the way pm did it was pretty vicious. It was a conversation to have in private not the public domain.

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Weather was always going to be poor today which will put off anyone who hadn't bought tickets well in advance. Yesterday's attendance looked okay, and I'd guess it will increase over the weekend. However, generally I'm pretty sure crowds will be well below what they wanted, and it's purely down to the ridiculous tickets prices. Not one who usually moans about stuff like that, but the ticket price has basically doubled since the last time it was at Troon, and you have to look at it in the wider context of what has happened to the economy since then too. Not a lot of people have £260 spare around holiday season to watch 4 days of golf. Or £160 for parents and kids for one day of golf. The comeback is always that you are paying for 10 hours of play, and compare that to ticket prices for 90 minute football games and it's good value. Firstly, football ticket prices are too high as well, but also it's not 10 hours of continuous golf, only a fraction of that 10 hours is watching golf shots, whereas football is 90 minutes of action (no matter how poor that action may be!). The same applies for music gigs, cinema, theatre etc. TV coverage is also so good now (I think Sky's coverage has been excellent, despite some comments on here who disagree) that it's so easy to sit and watch it all at home.

The R&A talk about growing the game and have all these token 'play zones' or whatever they are called in the spectators village for kids, when really that is just preaching to the converted, its the kids who have parents who can't afford to go that they should be trying to bring into the game. Having Under 16s get in free is pointless when adult prices are so high as it's still only going to be the middle classes that can go. Didn't expect to write quite as much as that, but it's frustrating that we have such a brilliant tournament in our home country yet we aren't making the most of it.

Like you, I really can't be doing with the argument that it stacks up as good value compared to football. At the football you pay your money and you see everything unless you're looking the wrong way/away for a pie/whatever. At the golf you'll see a fraction of what happens during the day. Also, if you pay your ridiculous fee for the football chances are you're in a stand with a roof and you are guaranteed a specific seat in the section. You don't get the former at the golf and if you want the latter you have to pay more.

Having said that I don't think £80 for the final day is *that* bad. It's a prestigious sporting occasion in the UK up there with the FA Cup final, Wimbledon final, British GP or whatever. It's the £80 on the other three competition days I have the issue with!

I paid £70 for a Saturday ticket last year and seen about six shots getting hit [emoji23]

Even then the whole atmosphere that surrounds a day at the open is fantastic and on a normal Day of play, very much worth its ticket fee.

Saying that I'm looking forward to Paul Lawries match play. Think it's about £15 for me and my daughter to go!!

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

"We are now joined by a sporting superstar, Sir Nick Faldo"

f**k off Livingston you brown nose c**t

Wouldn't surprise me if Faldo insisted he be called that. Friend of someone was a scorer/marker/whatever at the Open a few years ago and was in Faldo's group, with the man demanding he was called Sir Nick. Given the golfer in question I assume it's true.

Looks like Monty will get to hit the first tee shot again tomorrow - and there's an odd number of golfers so he'll be off himself! Someone is going to need to make a charge or it's a straight shoot-out between Mickelson and Stenson.

Archived