Nintendo to release a mini NES.

mrcat1990

Very cute. Did many people have an NES here? First one I remember seeing in the wild was in a big pile of scrap metal at the Barras in the mid-Nineties. £35, FFS. Aye, good luck with that.

Anyone remember when Argos were selling Atari 2600s for about £20 with around 800 games built-in? I'm all about the retro gaming, but even at that price...

I've, well my parents, still have one in the attic.

My girlfriend is a complete Nintendo freak, to the point where I showed her this and she made noises I've never heard before.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've, well my parents, still have one in the attic.

My girlfriend is a complete Nintendo freak, to the point where I showed her this and she made noises I've never heard before.

:lol:

Really looking forward to this, never even played a NES before. No price for the UK one as yet, but it seems in the US it's going to be price at $60 for the console and a further $10 for the controller.

We had a NES growing up. Which, thinking back, was really odd given that it took until 1999 for my dad to get a PC for the house.

Unless this is able to be modified somehow to play additional titles off an SD card, I don't really see the appeal of this. You can download every single NES ROM and play on an emulator for free - why pay for just 30?

As Pete says tho, nostalgia is a bitch. Other than SMB and SMB3 I tend to get bored very quickly anytime i fire up a NES emulator. 

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

A decent selection of games, but F-Zero really would have been the clincher for me, and may even have seen me part with some cash. Shame really.

F-Zero was realeased for the snes and not the nes.

For those saying about an emulator, this is targeted at a completely different demographic I think. This isn't a system for collectors or NES enthusiasts etc (although it will also appeal to a number of them). This is a simple plug and play system for under £50 (prob) that casual/non gaming fans won't think twice about buying when out shopping for christmas presents etc. They will shift an absolute shit ton of these I reckon at that price. I'm assuming its priced so low as they didnt need to worry about internet connection, compatibility etc

18 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

F-Zero was realeased for the snes and not the nes.

For those saying about an emulator, this is targeted at a completely different demographic I think. This isn't a system for collectors or NES enthusiasts etc (although it will also appeal to a number of them). This is a simple plug and play system for under £50 (prob) that casual/non gaming fans won't think twice about buying when out shopping for christmas presents etc. They will shift an absolute shit ton of these I reckon at that price. I'm assuming its priced so low as they didnt need to worry about internet connection, compatibility etc

For some reason I've been getting back into playing video games this year so happy with my PS4 but if it was this time last year I'd probably have spent £50 on this even though I've used emulators before.

Wonder how much harder it would have been to do a SNES version they would shift loads of those.

The controller can connect to a Wii controller for use on NES virtual console games. Tempted to try to hat get a controller for that to make it feel more authentic when playing them. Think I've downloaded all the NES and Snes games I want to play but half tempted anyway.

I've got loads of original consoles if anyone wants the real thing.

They've picked a lot of the best nes games for this, could've done with the whole megaman collection and a few others. Easily worth £50 this though, will defo be getting 1 for my son and I'm guessing most people my age with young kids will be doing the same as it's the first console I ever played.

I'd consider picking this up if I were to have a decent HDMI telly in the future, but all my NES gaming is currently through my laptop anyway. The one boost (as mentioned above) is that the controller is compatible with the Nintendo Virtual Console for those with a WiiU and likewise Wii and WiiU controllers can also be used for the mini system itself (important for two player, the system comes with one reproduction NES controller but will have others sold separately). With regards to the games, the one thing that stands out is that there is Super C, but no Contra; otherwise a good selection of games from the console. 

• 7 months later...

Archived