Things you miss about childhood

DDcups

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

British Bulldogs anyone?

Banned at my primary school as the number of snorkels getting ripped was horrendous.

On a similar vein and with some non pc terminology in use - primary school playtime - walking about the playground with more and more people linking in to a big line shouting "who wants a game of cops and robbers" or "cowboys and indians" or "Japs and commandos" - used to spend 12 of the 15 minutes trying to get folk to join the line and the last 3 minutes actually playing!!!

Second only to Christmas was my village's gala day. Big float parade followed by a field of stalls, games etc, basically a Highland Games without the tartan and caber. Went as an adult a few years back and it was god awful, probably no different to what it was before in the halcyon days where a ten pound pocket money bonus for the day was like winning the lottery.

We used to use the phone box at the side of the park to make fake calls to Childline making claims of abuse by celebrities. Turns out it's probably just some suppressed memories.

Ah well.

When I was at University (I'm still a kid now) our very weird landlord wouldn't allow us any use of the phone. He was a screaming Communist, one of Vannesa Redgrave's lot I think, so one night when he was away, and we'd managed to nick a bottle of Jim Beam's from a pub, we spent hours dialling random Moscow and New York numbers. Talked to one girl in New York for about an hour. f**k knows what his bill came to, or whether GCHQ gave him any bother, left shortly after.

P.S. And when I was properly a child we used to play the Death March on the piano to random numbers who picked up. 

On 8/3/2016 at 09:27, Shandon Par said:

I hazily remember a game for boys and girls called "Kiss, cuddle, torture". Much like any generic "tig", except you would chase the girl, or boy, you fancied. The caught person would then choose what happens next (ie the kiss, cuddle or torture).

On 8/3/2016 at 10:17, banana said:

It was 'Kissy Kissy Catchie' or 'Kisschase' down our way, non of this fangled cuddles and torture.

Seemed to be torture,  torture and more torture when I played it.

#uglybassa

When I was at University (I'm still a kid now) our very weird landlord wouldn't allow us any use of the phone. He was a screaming Communist, one of Vannesa Redgrave's lot I think, so one night when he was away, and we'd managed to nick a bottle of Jim Beam's from a pub, we spent hours dialling random Moscow and New York numbers. Talked to one girl in New York for about an hour. f**k knows what his bill came to, or whether GCHQ gave him any bother, left shortly after.

P.S. And when I was properly a child we used to play the Death March on the piano to random numbers who picked up. 

You stayed in Grangemouth as a child... and had a piano?
I smell shite.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

An excerpt from "Surfin Bird" by the Ramones, where Joey shouts "Surfin Bird" and then makes a funny gurgling noise was also very good for this.

Not that I knew anyone who would do such a thing.

"Is Mr Walls there?" naw. "Is Mrs Walls there?" naw. "Are there any walls there" I telt ye, naw. "Well how the f**k does your roof stay up?" was another regular prank call carried out by little b*****ds.

"Is your refrigerator running?"

"Yes"

"Then you'd better go catch it"

Was an absolute shitter and most people seem it straight away.

All these stories of a misspend youth are probably the reason why you are writing on Pie and Bovril instead of finding a cure for cancer.

Me, I am half and half.  Anyway enough of that ..

Better go and check those tissue samples and alert the world's media - I think we might have made a break through.

All these stories of a misspend youth are probably the reason why you are writing on Pie and Bovril instead of finding a cure for cancer.

Me, I am half and half.  Anyway enough of that ..

Better go and check those tissue samples and alert the world's media - I think we might have made a break through.

^^^been wanking into his 1980's Chemistry set for nostalgia reasons type post.

Archived