How do you remember 35?

When I remember cards I use sports teams, so hearts are all Thistle players: A♥=Cerny, 2♥=Dumbuya..., up to Q♥=Shaggy, K♥=Archie, spades are a rather shitey Scotland team, diamonds a World 11, and clubs are Edinburgh Capitals players. Each player also has an associated object, Diego Maradona, 10♦ has a pile of coke, Charlie Mulgrew ♠4 has a baby in a car. When there are lots of cards to remember I pair them, so for 2♥ followed by 10♦ I remember the image of Mustapha Dumbaya doing lines of coke.
It really doesn't take much practise to get good enough to remember a whole pack. It was something to keep me occupied whilst watching shite like Croatia vs Portugal.

There are more efficient ways to remember strings of numbers, but I've not bothered with that yet. I generally use hockey players as there are plenty of two digit ones, so my credit card PIN is Roland Carlson, Miro Droppa.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

When I remember cards I use sports teams, so hearts are all Thistle players: A♥=Cerny, 2♥=Dumbuya..., up to Q♥=Shaggy, K♥=Archie, spades are a rather shitey Scotland team, diamonds a World 11, and clubs are Edinburgh Capitals players. Each player also has an associated object, Diego Maradona, 10♦ has a pile of coke, Charlie Mulgrew ♠4 has a baby in a car. When there are lots of cards to remember I pair them, so for 2♥ followed by 10♦ I remember the image of Mustapha Dumbaya doing lines of coke.
It really doesn't take much practise to get good enough to remember a whole pack. It was something to keep me occupied whilst watching shite like Croatia vs Portugal.

There are more efficient ways to remember strings of numbers, but I've not bothered with that yet. I generally use hockey players as there are plenty of two digit ones, so my credit card PIN is Roland Carlson, Miro Droppa.

Isn't it easier to remember a 4 digit number than all of that garbage?

35 is the number of international goals Rivaldo scored.  I pick my lottery numbers going through the Brazil team. Easier to remember that the actual numbers.

Rivaldo, Zico, Ronaldhino, Fred, Alves and Maicon.

I'm screwed if any of them score again for them.

Edited by The Minertaur

2 hours ago, GingerSaint said:

Isn't it easier to remember a 4 digit number than all of that garbage?

If that was the only number that I ever wanted to remember, then sure. Remembering all that garbage is a one off cost and is created using links I'm already familiar with. I don't need to learn a new system for each number I want to remember, it's the same for my credit card as it is for my passport number or my debit card details or times of flights or girlfriends' birthdays.

The brain remembers images far better than it does numbers and the system is powerful enough that you can memorise a shuffled deck, leave it with a friend and then read it back to them weeks later without further practice. Sure, such feats of memory are mainly useful as a party trick but exercising your brain is never a bad idea and developing ways to remember things is useful in many fields such as language learning.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

If that was the only number that I ever wanted to remember, then sure. Remembering all that garbage is a one off cost and is created using links I'm already familiar with. I don't need to learn a new system for each number I want to remember, it's the same for my credit card as it is for my passport number or my debit card details or times of flights or girlfriends' birthdays.

The brain remembers images far better than it does numbers and the system is powerful enough that you can memorise a shuffled deck, leave it with a friend and then read it back to them weeks later without further practice. Sure, such feats of memory are mainly useful as a party trick but exercising your brain is never a bad idea and developing ways to remember things is useful in many fields such as language learning.

I'm sure you're a hoot at these parties.

I've memorized pi to about 3000 decimal places (I need to get out more). Best way to remember a long array of numbers is by separating them and adding things that are associated to each number.

3.14 (standard pi to 2 decimal places)

15 (age I started college)

92 (age my great gran past away)

65 (retirement age for women)

35 (my old house number)

89 (age my great granddad past away)

79 (easy enough to remember after 89)

etc.....

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

You're boring. I work with a guy who's extremely boring we call him boring Jim. Your boring Diego as your up there with him.