General Chatter

Sooky

I'm presuming the electronic, magnetic, or whatever it is detectors cut-out in tandem with the clocks, but as noted the clock obviously starts manually and not always spot-on. That's a hazard of the sport I suppose.

We may never know what was going through his head in that second... maybe he doesn't, either... but possibly he just thought "it's 1 second to go!" and switched off momentarily.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a more dramatic finish in any sport I've seen - there probably is one - but that and the interview has actually left me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I don't know what age the lad is but after bronze in London and silver in Rio, there's no athlete I'd rather see go onto Tokyo and win than this guy.

Meanwhile another relay, another disqualification, and once again the commentators sat baffled. Surely they need to tighten-up the rules, or improve the reporting of disqualifications.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If 4x100m red line issue is right - and it can't be appealed as there is no footage - it's like the farcical derny bike false starts in Jason Kenny's keirin. They should have a camera on it?

Exactly. Never mind not having video proof to appeal, surely there should be video proof to show why they are disqualified?

6 hours ago, Sooky said:

Exactly. Never mind not having video proof to appeal, surely there should be video proof to show why they are disqualified?

Perhaps, but that's what the judges are there for. They have judges at every section where there could be infringements on changeovers in both the 100 metre and 400 metre relay. I don't think there is anything wrong with assuming the officials are correct unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, which we don't have.

I do think there should be clearer camera angles on the changeover, particularly in the 400 metre relay when there is only one section of the track where all the changeovers take place.

19 minutes ago, Bully Di Villa said:

Why didn't Muhammed just run away with three seconds to go?

My initial reaction was that. But I suppose at what point do you start running away. 1 second? 3 seconds? 5? etc. I guess your mindset is that you're one of the best in the world in an Olympic final, I doubt it's in their make up to start behaving like that. And if it was I doubt he'd have ever made it to that level to begin with.

So after winning the prelims yesterday ahead of the 2 Chinese and getting a new PB, he's completely fucked up this semi final and looks like he won't even be going through.

So after winning the prelims yesterday ahead of the 2 Chinese and getting a new PB, he's completely fucked up this semi final and looks like he won't even be going through.

Typical Daley, always flatters to deceive

Denmark played well below their best but squeezed past Poland in the semi-final last night. Poland sent it to extra time with a great goal in the final second, but Denmark finally started to click and came through the extra ten minutes relatively easily to set up a final with France.

France will be big favourites tomorrow having beaten a very good Germany team in the semis and comfortably beating Denmark in the group stages.

Typical Daley, always flatters to deceive

Should have taken the Jack Laugher approach of scraping through the rounds before the final and saving your best until last. It really could only have gone downhill!

Archived