New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

David Murray really had both Scottish football and the media in the palm of his hands in the 80's and 90's didn't he?

Lauded as some sort of mastermind trying to make Rangers a European 'force' still to this very day.  When it was him who killed Rangers.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheScarf said:

David Murray really had both Scottish football and the media in the palm of his hands in the 80's and 90's didn't he?

Lauded as some sort of mastermind trying to make Rangers a European 'force' still to this very day.  When it was him who killed Rangers.

Fed the monster til' it burst

Just watched, it was surprisingly decent. I was expecting an hour of drivel about how we're the laughing stock of Europe and how on earth can that happen when we were so good until the 80s, but it avoided that entirely and just focused on the history. It may go down that road when we get to episodes focusing on more recent events, but that was a good start.

All that said, the following quotes were notable for their stupidity:

Malpas - 'There was none of this mollycoddling you see today'

Narrator - '42 professional clubs'

Baldy Snake - 'I'm not one to stir things up'

Traynor (without a hint of irony) - 'David Murray liked to hold court, which was great for the media'

Traynor (without a hint of irony) - 'He was going to spend whatever it would take to make Rangers successful in Europe'

Traynor (without a hint of irony) - 'The game here became a dumping ground for second, third, fourth rate European players.... that was a bad thing for Scottish football'

The narrator saying the Taylor Report demanded clubs moved to all seaters.

Nice to see that wee Fergus is still raging about the punishment handed to them for the way the Tommy Burns switch was dealt with.

Also interesting that Souness was responsible for Murray not buying Ayr ;)  Always knew he was a good guy.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Roger Mitchell showed himself up there when he said fergus McCann was he village idiot for not feeding the media.

No, he said he was treated as the village idiot by the media, because he treated them with the disdain he felt they deserved.

3 minutes ago, Romeo said:

What are you talking about. ALL the press, without exemption are and always have been anti Rangers and The Rangers.

everyone knows that :rolleyes:

So all it would have taken when Charles Green took over to rebuild bridges with the media was a few quid spent on some humbugs and circling the wagons would have never been needed. Never too late for a friendly gesture and its supposed to be a new era for The Rangers, maybe Dave King could send a bag of chocolate eclairs to each of the BBC Sportsound team and also Tam and Stuart from Off the Ball, imagine how would Ian Bankier have to respond to that?

Mind the whole feud thing between the BBC and Rangers kicked off because of that program about Craig Whyte and his business conduct. Absolute lies of course. :rolleyes: Makes you think why do Rangers and their fans still have issues with the BBC, do they still think the BBC was in the wrong or was it because it showed them up the fans to be the gullible sheep they are and that true Rangers men are never wrong even when the people who ran the show killed off that beloved club they support and ripped them off stupid.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, thought parts of this show were alright but on the whole was disappointed. Was far too much about the old firm. The show seemed to be more about them than Scottish football. In fact a lot of the time they seemed to equate Scottish football with the old firm, i.e. they were saying Scottish football IS the old firm and vice versa.

No shock to see what absolute scum Oldco and their fans were. Sevco are the exact same in that respect.

That was particularly true during the sectarianism section: it was constantly being qualified as "a problem linked to no one club" and "a feature present across the Scottish game" and so on. I imagine that's because they haven't the determination to say it was a problem very largely confined to 2 clubs, certainly by the 1990s.

As mentioned above, there were a couple of minor factual errors - the Taylor Report, and the conflation of Jim Farry and the SFA with the Tommy Burns situation (it was the SFL who fined Celtic for tapping-up Burns, IIRC)... After the nostalgia-drenched introduction rapidly leading into Maurice Malpas with the "reserve leagues made you a man" clichés I was thinking 'here we go', but in actual fact the programme was pretty reasonable and kept to its intentions.

We'll see if they can keep it up if or when they begin to move from historical reflection to contemporary affairs.

That press interview with Billy McNeil and Mo Johnston looked very very awkward, like they knew it wasn't going to happen. ''Celtic is the only club I want to play for''. So either Mo knew there were other powers at work behind the scene or he was a lying wee rat. I still have Only an Excuse cassettes and I remember they did a version of the Souness press announcement that Rangers had made another big signing and the reaction from the press when it was revealed this signing was Mo Johnston was brilliant, gasps, one glass dropped and smashed on the floor and then absolute stunned silence..........''any questions?'' '' any at all?''

I've never ever seen that jumper Mojo was wearing, heard about it years ago but never seen it in all its glory.

Mostly enjoyed it,

Knew about the Mercer stuff in the Hearts/Hibs merger but wasn't aware of how Hibs had got into the situation they were in. 

That David Duff looks like he due a whole program to himself.

52 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That was particularly true during the sectarianism section: it was constantly being qualified as "a problem linked to no one club" and "a feature present across the Scottish game" and so on. I imagine that's because they haven't the determination to say it was a problem very largely confined to 2 clubs, certainly by the 1990s.

As mentioned above, there were a couple of minor factual errors - the Taylor Report, and the conflation of Jim Farry and the SFA with the Tommy Burns situation (it was the SFL who fined Celtic for tapping-up Burns, IIRC)... After the nostalgia-drenched introduction rapidly leading into Maurice Malpas with the "reserve leagues made you a man" clichés I was thinking 'here we go', but in actual fact the programme was pretty reasonable and kept to its intentions.

We'll see if they can keep it up if or when they begin to move from historical reflection to contemporary affairs.

Also found it odd that Tom Devine seemed to suggest that Rangers only established their protestant only signing policy in the 1920's. I understood it was fairly well established that it started in the late19th/early20th century

That was a good watch. Some interesting points brought up in the later part of the programme.

Celtic winning the title in 1998 and therefore breaking Rangers attempts at 10 in a row really was exactly the moment when David Murray and Rangers completely lost the plot with spending and was the beginning of a road Rangers went down that finished with administration and then liquidation in 2012.

Terry Butcher admitting getting caught up in it all, the songs, slagging people off and then having to take a step back to look at himself and seeing what he was doing was wrong. Maybe all Rangers fans who sing the bigot songs but claim they are not bigots could learn from that.

Celtic fans booing Fergus, wtf!

Archived