New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Kincardine imo

Image result for drunk gif

Some people drink to hide from the harsh reality of life. Sometimes its not a bad place to be, its just not a place to come across as serious on a football forum.

Just now, TheGoon said:

To suggest sectarianism exists outside of Glasgow, as the BBC did in that documentary, is laughable. 

TBF it does. Wick Loyal Supporters Club etc, Robert Sands Memorial Supporters Brethren of Stornoway.

it was the "and it's not restricted to one club" line that got me.  Correct, it is restricted to 2. 

53 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Also found it odd that Tom Devine seemed to suggest that Rangers only established their protestant only signing policy in the 1920's. I understood it was fairly well established that it started in the late19th/early20th century

He may have been generalising: there were precious few Catholics signed by Rangers in the 1890s, 1900s and 1910s - one list totals 9 players - but from the end of the Great War to the time of John Spencer and Mo Johnston in the later 1980s there were only 3 such players.

Laurie Blyth in the early 1950s never appears to have played for the first team and some sources claim his signing was an 'accident' and he got released after it was realised. Hugh O'Neil in the mid 1970s played a single season in the reserves - though it's worth noting he was an American. Don Kitchenbrand is really the forgotten man before Mo Johnston - he was a first-team regular in 1955-56 and again in the first part of 1957-58, but again it's worth noting he was a South African.

So between Joe Donnachie in league v Clyde on 10th May 1919 and John Spencer in Glasgow Cup v Clyde on 28th April 1987 (or if you don't count that then Mo Johnston in league v St Mirren on 12th August 1989), it seems Kitchenbrand was the only Catholic to play a Rangers first-team game.

For the trivia buffs - both were away games but neither were at Shawfield.

That in 1919 was at, ironically enough, Celtic Park - that in 1987 was at Firhill.

I think Clyde had to play away for the whole of 1918-19, and perhaps the Glasgow Cup tie in 1987 clashed with dog racing.

I can well remember that period and no-one seemed to look critically at David Murray, nobody challenged what was happening.  I think the media and fans just seemed to think that Murray had a magic money tree.and nobody questioned it.

15 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I perhaps should've phrased that better. To suggest it exists outside the Glasgow clubs today is ridiculous. 

Even then, you're still talking pish. I actually have a video of 3 Aberdeen fans at Firhill last season being very bigoted against Rangers fans. Have you ever been to a Hearts v Celtic match? If not, go to one and then come back and tell me its ridiculous.

I fully accept it is a problem mainly attributed to the OF, but to suggest it doesn't exist within other clubs is either mental or complete ignorance.

6 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

The highlight for me was seeing what the journalists who work on the radio actually look like. Graham Speirs for example has a much younger sounding voice than fits his face.

You've never seen Graham Spiers before?

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

For the trivia buffs - both were away games but neither were at Shawfield.

That in 1919 was at, ironically enough, Celtic Park - that in 1987 was at Firhill.

I think Clyde had to play away for the whole of 1918-19, and perhaps the Glasgow Cup tie in 1987 clashed with dog racing.

Clyde's last game at Shawfield was in April 86. They spent the next 5 seasons at Firhill. 

10 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Even then, you're still talking pish. I actually have a video of 3 Aberdeen fans at Firhill last season being very bigoted against Rangers fans. Have you ever been to a Hearts v Celtic match? If not, go to one and then come back and tell me its ridiculous.

I fully accept it is a problem mainly attributed to the OF, but to suggest it doesn't exist within other clubs is either mental or complete ignorance.

Dae ye aye? 

Turn it in.

I have heard some awful things from Dons fans and will happily admit there are a lot of morons in our support.

However, there is no deep rooted sectarian issue at Aberdeen football club. None at all.

You might get the odd idiot saying something construed as sectarian to wind them up but that is very different.

On a train to Montrose not last Saturday but the Saturday before and there were Hearts fans singing what Rangers fans do when they sing simply the best.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Turn it in.

I have heard some awful things from Dons fans and will happily admit there are a lot of morons in our support.

However, there is no deep rooted sectarian issue at Aberdeen football club. None at all.

You might get the odd idiot saying something construed as sectarian to wind them up but that is very different.

Yeah, Id agree with that, I was quite surprised when I seen this. Aberdeen fans are usually fine, well towards us anyway.

Archived