New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

What would the Dundee United V Ayr United crowd have been 15 years ago? 

By way of a comaprison Dundee United v Dumbarton in the First Division in 1995 when we won 8-0 was 5285

We have a larger travelling support now than then. 

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I can well remember that period and no-one seemed to look critically at David Murray, nobody challenged what was happening.  I think the media and fans just seemed to think that Murray had a magic money tree.and nobody questioned it.

I wish I was as cynical and perceptive now as I was when I was in my early teens. I remember watching the Celtic fans booing Fergus McCann on the day they unfurled the league flag and asking my stepdad: "Did he not save them from going out of business and build a new stadium?"

Around the same time, Hearts defeated Rangers in the Scottish Cup final and my dad (a Rangers fan) tried to belittle the achievement by saying: "Aye, one trophy, well done. We'll be back and will win more in a year than you have done in 36."

While that ended up being the case, I remember thinking how mammoth an achievement it was for Hearts, at the time, to overcome their financial superiority. I also remember thinking: "Where is all that money coming from?" Murray is the root of all evil in Scottish football and not just the downfall of Rangers.

9 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Long before my time I'm afraid, 5 years before I was born, however, my dad and grandfather were season ticket holders. Walking down Pittodrie Street that day, two desperate Rangers fans offered them £500 each for their tickets that day.

Dad and granda turned it down. Granda said: "you could offer me any money in the world and I wouldn't give you them. Two less of you fuckers seeing you win the title is worth more". Grandfather never normally swears.

Seems they were in a small minority. My dad recalls that there were very few Aberdeen fans round them in the Main Stand that day.

I love your Granda.

7 hours ago, 7-2 said:

That was shown purely as comedy, not a social statement. Sectarianism was a laughing matter to BBC Glasgow then, not something to be ignored.

I'm not of that time but it seems to me like it's a pretty good dig at the Rangers signing policy of the time. And pretty funny, too.

Archived