New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish football is in danger of hating itself to death. If its not pundits telling the world that our game is absolute bobbins, it's fans. There will always be a massive problem to overcome when the English lower leagues can sign the better players from the Scottish top flight and can stockpile Scottish kids who would be better served playing meaningful football north of the border. At the same time fans are moving away from football as something you experience in person. Why bother when you can stay at home with a beer and watch any number of streams online? Or games on pay TV?

Nobody talks our game up. It might not have the out and out skill of the best that TV football can offer but at its best its surely a better game than some utter pish like Sunderland v West Brom or some other such dross. In recent years the 2nd tier has been ultra competitive and even in the top flight there is genuine competition for European places as well as relegation spots. Even the people who run our game hate the fucking thing to the point where they tell the world that it's pish and then wonder why we get buttons from our media deals.

Football used to be a major part of our sporting culture and that included attending games in person. I was one of the few kids in my school who went to games regularly. I'm 37 in 3 weeks time. If it was dying out for my generation, god knows where we're getting the next generation of football fans who attend games in person from because crowds are dwindling and we're not seeing the youngsters coming through to replace the older fans we're losing.

I'll give the show a go but if its the same bunch of self-loathing talking heads telling us how poor our game has become then it'll be getting binned. 

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

How come Rangers had basically every stand at Pittodrie when they won the league in 1987?

Why would any Aberdeen fan want to see Rangers winning another league title?

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It also paints them all as useless shite when so many were excellent players.

Exactly. They showed Nick Dasovic for us who was generally excellent and played about 150 games.

2 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Even then, you're still talking pish. I actually have a video of 3 Aberdeen fans at Firhill last season being very bigoted against Rangers fans. Have you ever been to a Hearts v Celtic match? If not, go to one and then come back and tell me its ridiculous.

I fully accept it is a problem mainly attributed to the OF, but to suggest it doesn't exist within other clubs is either mental or complete ignorance.

Both the game's mentioned involved the OF. Don't you think its us diddy teams on the wind up? And its clearly working.

Why is it OF fans only have 2 answers to bigotry, its either a total denial to it or it exists everywhere at every club.

8 minutes ago, CityDave said:

It wasn't confirmed before the game though and could Aberdeen not have stopped them? Should have told them to bolt.

It was their first title for about a decade at the time.

I'm assuming Pittodrie was properly segregated at the time and fans weren't free to move round the ground at will? I know some other grounds weren't properly segregated by 1987 but in a ground that size for such a big game between two clubs who hate each other you'd assume they didn't have fans moving between stands.

Exactly. They showed Nick Dasovic for us who was generally excellent and played about 150 games.

That was bizarre. Of all the players they could have highlighted, even from just Saints, they pick Dasovic-a great player and the first Saints player to score in a major cup final!

The period between 1988 and 1994 is a bit of a no mans land for me as I had lost interest in football, maybe down to a passing interest level such as the scores so I never knew how close Hibs were to disappearing all together when Wallace Mercer got involved and how close that Dundee merger was.

And you think Scottish football is in a bad way now?.

3 minutes ago, CityDave said:

The period between 1988 and 1994 is a bit of a no mans land for me as I had lost interest in football, maybe down to a passing interest level such as the scores so I never knew how close Hibs were to disappearing all together when Wallace Mercer got involved and how close that Dundee merger was.

And you think Scottish football is in a bad way now?.

The Dundee merger thing was much later was it not?

People were saying they'd have liked more detail last night on that fascinating story, but I suspect it lacked detail because it was a far less fully formed story than was implied.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The Dundee merger thing was much later was it not?

People were saying they'd have liked more detail last night on that fascinating story, but I suspect it lacked detail because it was a far less fully formed story than was implied.

There must be so much to cover and its not going to please everyone, every club has its own story. It has to be done as a summery otherwise we will be still watching it come Xmas.

3 minutes ago, CityDave said:

There must be so much to cover and its not going to please everyone, every club has its own story. It has to be done as a summery otherwise we will be still watching it come Xmas.

It certainly won't be summery if we're watching at Christmas.

How come Rangers had basically every stand at Pittodrie when they won the league in 1987?

It wasn't confirmed before the game though and could Aberdeen not have stopped them? Should have told them to bolt.

It was their first title for about a decade at the time.

Long before my time I'm afraid, 5 years before I was born, however, my dad and grandfather were season ticket holders. Walking down Pittodrie Street that day, two desperate Rangers fans offered them £500 each for their tickets that day.

Dad and granda turned it down. Granda said: "you could offer me any money in the world and I wouldn't give you them. Two less of you fuckers seeing you win the title is worth more". Grandfather never normally swears.

Seems they were in a small minority. My dad recalls that there were very few Aberdeen fans round them in the Main Stand that day.

7 minutes ago, CityDave said:

And why haven't these stories been publicised more over the decades? Any story not involving the bigots is for the moment and not part of Scottish football's history. Only the Old Firm stories have that honour apparently. That numerous people don't know of the Edinburgh and Dundee proposed mergers is shocking. Despite what we're told, real football fans are genuinely interested in what's happening at other clubs and the game in general simply because they're football fans. Lets face it, the Mo Johnson story is only a story that effects two clubs but it's apparently a Scottish landmark. I'd say Hearts taking over Hibs or Dundee disappearing would be more important to the Scottish game than Rangers signing a player of a particular religion but sadly our mainly Glasgow based medie don't see it that way.

Just now, 7-2 said:

And why haven't these stories been publicised more over the decades? Any story not involving the bigots is for the moment and not part of Scottish football's history. Only the Old Firm stories have that honour apparently. That numerous people don't know of the Edinburgh and Dundee proposed mergers is shocking. Despite what we're told, real football fans are genuinely interested in what's happening at other clubs and the game in general simply because they're football fans. Lets face it, the Mo Johnson story is only a story that effects two clubs but it's apparently a Scottish landmark. I'd say Hearts taking over Hibs or Dundee disappearing would be more important to the Scottish game than Rangers signing a player of a particular religion but sadly our mainly Glasgow based medie don't see it that way.

This is down to the view point of the writer of articles in the papers and also if that paper's employees believed that they would make more money by focusing mainly on the biggest two football clubs in Scotland which have the largest fan base and who want to find out what is going on about their club. Back then the newspaper was king, Glasgow based, faster off the mark than TV football news and a more powerful player in influencing public opinion if they chose the right words and they knew it.

As for myself I knew about both potential mergers more so the Edinburgh one but I've never been a tabloid reader, back in the 90's I used ceefax and teletext to catch up or if a paper was lying around doing nothing. It was an eye opener to find out how close both mergers were.

I think now football fans seem genuinely interested and have more knowledge about other clubs than what they used to have, that has certainly changed in the last 20 years with the shift in how now people get their news and information.

Can people no just enjoy the show instead of all the moaning about the OF? It wasn't that OF centric. They're our 2 biggest clubs by a mile they're obviously going to play a decent part in all of these documentaries. Especially in the era that it was focusing on.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can people no just enjoy the show instead of all the moaning about the OF? It wasn't that OF centric. They're our 2 biggest clubs by a mile they're obviously going to play a decent part in all of these documentaries. Especially in the era that it was focusing on.

Not that other clubs not mentioned had severe financial issues during this era.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Scottish football is in danger of hating itself to death. If its not pundits telling the world that our game is absolute bobbins, it's fans. There will always be a massive problem to overcome when the English lower leagues can sign the better players from the Scottish top flight and can stockpile Scottish kids who would be better served playing meaningful football north of the border. At the same time fans are moving away from football as something you experience in person. Why bother when you can stay at home with a beer and watch any number of streams online? Or games on pay TV?

Nobody talks our game up.

Football used to be a major part of our sporting culture and that included attending games in person. I was one of the few kids in my school who went to games regularly. I'm 37 in 3 weeks time. If it was dying out for my generation, god knows where we're getting the next generation of football fans who attend games in person from because crowds are dwindling and we're not seeing the youngsters coming through to replace the older fans we're losing.

I suspect the irony passed you by - but crowds aren't dwindling, they're high in historical terms and rising at many clubs. So you're guilty of the very "self hating" and talking down you complain of?

Archived