Oliver Burke

Contra

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Or maybe we have good youngsters?

This. Our young team looked very good. Thomas made a couple of poor decisions in the first half which conceded possession, but he learned from those in the second period and he was much tidier. His technical ability was very good too. Lewis Morgan will be an absolute star. He has bags of pace and trickery as well as being deceptively very strong. I could go through the whole team and offer praise. Ian Wilson, Greg Taylor, and the two CBs McKenna and Souttar looked like they'd played together for years. This is a very good U21 team and they haven't really played together that much. There is better to come. 

We need to start becoming aware of our national tendency to attribute the failure of another team to beat us to their own shortcomings rather than our competence. We have very good young players coming through. The dutch looked good too. De Jong was a joy to watch. The boy who hit the post had lovely touch and technique and the lad Dumfries (yup) looks like he has a future. They just couldn't get playing because we wouldn't let them. Our U21s bossed the game and the scoreline was an accurate representation of their dominance.

It's been said (rightly) that the national team has a lot to thank Brendan Rogers for. It could be said with as much validity that the U21s have a lot to thank St Mirren for. Mallan and Morgan were hugely influential tonight. 

With the young lads coming through at a host of clubs, Scottish football is in a healthy state. Almost all of the starting line-up tonight are playing first team football. 

It's not just that they're playing first team football at the moment. Some of them have 2-3 years of first team football at that age. The likes of Souttar and Mallan feel like they've been about forever and are still at u21 level. That's extremely promising.

Glad to hear Stevie Mallan and Lewis Morgan played well. We've had some very good young players recently (Kenny McLean, John McGinn, Stevie Mallan) but I think Morgan is better than all of them. It's inevitable that he will leave Saints (hopefully next summer rather than January) and I hope he gets the right move. This guy could be an absolute star.

Man of the Match was Morgan (and not the £15M Burke) - the only player from the Championship in the squad. Lewis and Mallan have been playing first team football now for 2/3 seasons. Their development is due to playing competitive football every week from a young age (just like McGinn and McLean). We had another outstanding talent in McAllister who chose the money from Forest and has never been heard of again. I am sure his development would have been meteoric if he had stayed and played every week.  Hopefully more Scottish clubs will fill their team with young guys and give them a chance to show what they can do and hopefully more young players will choose to stay and not accept the cheque.

This. Our young team looked very good. Thomas made a couple of poor decisions in the first half which conceded possession, but he learned from those in the second period and he was much tidier. His technical ability was very good too. Lewis Morgan will be an absolute star. He has bags of pace and trickery as well as being deceptively very strong. I could go through the whole team and offer praise. Ian Wilson, Greg Taylor, and the two CBs McKenna and Souttar looked like they'd played together for years. This is a very good U21 team and they haven't really played together that much. There is better to come. 
We need to start becoming aware of our national tendency to attribute the failure of another team to beat us to their own shortcomings rather than our competence. We have very good young players coming through. The dutch looked good too. De Jong was a joy to watch. The boy who hit the post had lovely touch and technique and the lad Dumfries (yup) looks like he has a future. They just couldn't get playing because we wouldn't let them. Our U21s bossed the game and the scoreline was an accurate representation of their dominance.
It's been said (rightly) that the national team has a lot to thank Brendan Rogers for. It could be said with as much validity that the U21s have a lot to thank St Mirren for. Mallan and Morgan were hugely influential tonight. 
With the young lads coming through at a host of clubs, Scottish football is in a healthy state. Almost all of the starting line-up tonight are playing first team football. 

Your correct, take Ian Wilson for example, gets pelters every week from a good few Killie fans, yet so far this season he's played left back, centre half & defensive midfield solidly if unspectacular in all 3 positions.

I don't get why Killie fans want to focus on his shortcomings because he's not the quickest on the pitch but at 18, being shifted pillar to post, still learning to play various roles.

Why not focus on the positives, i.e. Wilson being adaptable to play almost anywhere in defense and although lacking experience will get a lot better when he's given a settled position.

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Man of the Match was Morgan (and not the £15M Burke) - the only player from the Championship in the squad. Lewis and Mallan have been playing first team football now for 2/3 seasons. Their development is due to playing competitive football every week from a young age (just like McGinn and McLean). We had another outstanding talent in McAllister who chose the money from Forest and has never been heard of again. I am sure his development would have been meteoric if he had stayed and played every week.  Hopefully more Scottish clubs will fill their team with young guys and give them a chance to show what they can do and hopefully more young players will choose to stay and not accept the cheque.

Is it not a bit harsh to say McAllister "chose the money"? I maybe don't know all the ins and outs, but it certainly felt to me that we were more than happy to take the cash and use part of it to fund the signings of Smith, Davies, O'Brien Loy, Eckersley, Stelios and McGinn. McAllister was a decent player, but he wasn't what we needed at the time, and he sure as hell wasn't going to be the man to dig us out the hole we were in the way the players signed in January did.

Just shows you what playing in England does to you valuation. Morgan was head an shoulders above Burke last night. His touch and technique is far superior with not just the pace to go with but he travels with ball so much better than burke. Burke is still a good talent but he's very raw in the sense that he chases a lot of lost causes, gives the ball away cheaply but definitely has a good physique about him.

First time I've ever saw Morgan play but he will go far in the game no doubt about it.