Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

Demos free is it not? That's the easiest way as most folk are biased to some degree

This is very true. Anyway, it's only £18 on Amazon so I just relented and bought it anyway.

Not read the full thread but I'm sure it's been mentioned .... the manager face generation thing is totally fucking embarrassing and, of course, totally needless!!

I used to upload the same daft picture every year, took two minutes of my time and was pretty much just by-the-by - but the monster staring out at me now is actually starting to piss me right off!

How much time and effort did they put into producing that shit !!

Edited by Ned Nederlander

I've only just discovered a laughably easy way to win the game:

1) when australia and most african countries have their youth intake, theres a handful of clubs who are amateur but have great youth recruitment and facilities

2) literally as soon as they are generated either scout them or take them on trial (clubs seem very relaxed about letting you trial their players)

3) any players with 3*+ minimum pa, if your assistant is good at judging pa, can be signed for pennies (usually £100 a week) with 3 year optional extensions. If they demand higher wages then its still worth offering them a deal because...

4) if they dont get a work permit first time, cancel the deal - if they get a work permit though then they are just about guaranteed to have high potential

I've already signed a couple of ivory coast and ghana u-20 internationals at cb. and got about 7 players all coming in over the next two game years, all of whom have work permits. Only trouble is that they are outwith the eu so cant join til they are 18, but its immensely satisfying to get outrageous value on young prospects then flog them for a fortune to some daft epl team down the line.

FFA COE in australia are great for this.

"win the game" is where I almost stopped reading.

I wish I had, seeing as all you've done is quote a process people have been doing for about five years now.

Picked the game up after a few weeks of not playing and an update, and my Brentford save has gone to shit. Having been on a five match winning run, played three lost three without scoring and went from 3rd to 7th. Did a bit of reading on the SI forums and it appears the match engine has been changed a fair bit to facilitate inverted wing backs - aye very good, but what if I only want to play a normal wing back?

Another thing to add to the FM annoyances pile - sweeping changes to the match engine rendering tactics unusable. 

Erm so I got and installed the game today. But when I try and open the game either via steam or the desktop icon, nothing at all happens? I press on steam or double click the icon and it comes up with the "preparing to launch Football Manager" box for a second and then disappears, and that's that.

Anyone got any ideas??

Erm so I got and installed the game today. But when I try and open the game either via steam or the desktop icon, nothing at all happens? I press on steam or double click the icon and it comes up with the "preparing to launch Football Manager" box for a second and then disappears, and that's that.
Anyone got any ideas??

Good news! I pressed some buttons and turned some things off and on again and, after an hour, it finally worked!

Got this for Christmas so started a save with Forfar. 
Took Connor Murray on Loan from Queen of the South and he bags a Hat Trick in first game vs Albion Rovers.

Just playing a basic 4-1-4-1 Counter with no instructions until I figure the game out.
Any players work looking at for this level?

Josh skelly, kieran mcwalter and aidan smith have been incredible for my clyde team. Won league 2 with skelly scoring 35 goals in the season and 15 assists.

Callum ferrie turns into a good goalie, sold him to st johnstone for 40k.

23 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

"win the game" is where I almost stopped reading.

I wish I had, seeing as all you've done is quote a process people have been doing for about five years now.

The thing is that whereas before I was put off targetting Africa or Australia for regens (because I always assumed it'd be nigh on impossible to get work permits), it turns out that there's a few clubs in particular (RTD Academy, Djekanou, FFA COE, ASPIRE and some others) which regularly generate players that have a high enough PA to get a work permit without even appealing. So whereas before I was a bit more scattergun in targetting regens before they end up at big clubs and tended to limit myself to heavily scouting Czech/Danish regens, this version I've been checking the worldly youth intake every single month to see what's available.

It's been a really good save game so far tbf - gone from scrambling about finishing 10th in a hard, hard first season (not helped by our tricky real life fixture schedule this time of year and the fact that every match I had post split was away from home?!) to looking good for a 3rd place finish in the second. Highlights have been a couple of crushing 3-0 and 4-0 wins over Rangers, lowlights are losing 1-0 in the league cup qf to Ayr and an extra time scottish cup semi final loss to Aberdeen.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 12/25/2016 at 02:34, Dave said:

You're not a real MLS team until you sign a well known old guy - 

marquee1.jpg

Pulled his groin 15 minutes into his debut...

Tough start to the season, 2 draws and 3 defeats in my first 5 games. Hit the salary cap right as I'd prepared a big money deal for a young French CB but couldn't offer him the wages he wanted so the deal fell through. Got a load of money available to spend but no room with the wages to do so, if I cut anyone from the team now they still count to the salary cap so basically stuck with what I've got for the rest of the campaign. Thankfully the board expectation is to finish bottom of the league so I should be safe for this year!

Also noticing a shocking amount of bookings being dished out, I've had 3 red cards already this season which is more than an entire seasons worth the last time I played FM. Is this just bad luck or a common thing in this game?

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Pulled his groin 15 minutes into his debut...

Tough start to the season, 2 draws and 3 defeats in my first 5 games. Hit the salary cap right as I'd prepared a big money deal for a young French CB but couldn't offer him the wages he wanted so the deal fell through. Got a load of money available to spend but no room with the wages to do so, if I cut anyone from the team now they still count to the salary cap so basically stuck with what I've got for the rest of the campaign. Thankfully the board expectation is to finish bottom of the league so I should be safe for this year!

Also noticing a shocking amount of bookings being dished out, I've had 3 red cards already this season which is more than an entire seasons worth the last time I played FM. Is this just bad luck or a common thing in this game?

What is the salary cap like in the MLS as I am in the  A-Leauge with the £29500 cap (with a 23 man squad, with at least 2 GKs and only 20 players over 20) and is struggle to get a balanced squad