Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

Doing a Youth Academy challenge and always keep an intrest in how things go in the top league....normally don't do many seasons so it's always intersting.  Found this one with Rangers

8So2Pvt.jpg

Paul Lambert as manager....very bold move for them, wonder how it worked out for them?

GGfU0Md.jpg

......oh.....not good then.

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

Second season with Dortmund, and I've been forced into selling Dembele (£64m) and Aubameyang (£80m) to Man City and PSG.

My overall net spend is -£154m :lol:

rm3qxaI.png

This lad is available for £13m due to Atalanta's relegation.

While this lad, is the best young player, thats not a regen, that I can remember so early in the game.

oZhkyvU.png

How do you play FM, P&B?

I absolutely loathe the initial season or two where you have a bunch of deadwood shitting up pretty much any club you go to (think someone on here also posted words to that effect), often eating up significant chunks of your wage, that you cannot shift even if you offer them away for free. To combat this I tend to look up recommendations for staff and players via threads like these or recommended free/cheap players to sign on sites like FM Base or FM Scout (usually really good that one in particular, got some neat guides for training schedules etc. on there) as well as basically treating the beta as a big scouting mission for staff and players, taking them on trial for 4 weeks etc. before starting the real thing in order to make initial life a little bit easier and reducing the risk of signing even more dross to the squad taking up precious wages.

Once a save is started I refuse point blank to use an editor, in-game scout or do any sort of savescumming, since I tend to find that if I let myself bend the rules even a little bit it ends up snowballing into what amounts to a big cheatfest. A particular case in point was a couple of versions ago - I threw a hissy fit at losing a cup game to Ayr Utd, reloaded, won that cup game... and went on to win the whole damn thing, but it felt too much like a tainted title so I decided to avoid doing that ever again at all costs. Pre-game preparation (might sound sad but it is literally just a few minutes of searching and taking names down, honest!) to make the start a bit easier is fair game, imo.

On that note - if you've got a decent amount of leagues and nations loaded then I'm happy to provide some recommendations, there's some absolutely terrific coaches available for Thistle from the likes of Brazil which I've managed to find so I suspect if they'll sign for me they'd be happy enough to sign for most Scottish professional clubs.

Quite enjoying the game so far, only a handful of matches in but I really like the new League Cup format, won 5/5 so far. Not sure how much I'd like it if I also get into a continental competition right enough, could see that being a wee headache!

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I hate the first season on any new Football Manager because it always seems like it is impossible to actually sign anyone. Don't know why it is but every year the first few months I can't seem to get any new signings and I always, always get off to a slow start. 

My games have changed in the last few years. Almost every year until about 2012 I played a joint game with my best mate (usually Bundesliga) and my own Dundee United game plus during the year I would start an 1860 Munich one, a Forfar one and sometimes a French one. I don't seem to do that anymore and I probably one have one or two games per year that I stick to. I don't think in my entire time playing Champ Man/Football Manager I have ever started with an English Premiership team or Spanish team (although I've managed in those league briefly). I have zero interest in managing one of the 'giants' like Barca, Real, Bayern, Man Utd etc. In general I cannot stand managing in any English league, I don't know why that is, maybe the length of the season or the size of the league. I have never ventured to any bizarre country in Eastern Europe or South America (thats despite reading some excellent manager stories involving those leagues online).

I have used editors now and again but either to change leagues around to make things interesting or to download a custom database (but I usually lose interest fairly quickly). I sometimes used to use the in-game editor but that was only to change things I thought were wrong (normally if the United squad was massively overrated for example......)

I think overall the game has become less enjoyable and for someone my age (33) and my playing history (every game since 1997) then it peaked a few years ago and now is sometimes a bit too detailed and fiddly (for example I get the fact that teams have to change tactics during the season but I've always been bugged by the fact that it now seems like you are constantly tweaking things. Do real clubs actually change tactics game to game?).

On 11/30/2016 at 12:10, Ulises de la Cruz said:

Somehow managed to get promoted via the playoffs. Beating Queens Park 4-0 on aggregate.

League2.JPG

Used this tactic for the majority of the season. Levein-esque :lol: 

ECtactic.JPG

You b*****d. I got beat by Arbroath in the play-off final. Squad fitness was shot to shit and we crumbled in the last 45 minutes of the two legs.

Finished my first season with Hibs and the file wouldn't load. Hope that's not a regular occurance on this game. Pumped the Championship with ease and lost the LC final 2-1 to Celtic. Cummings scored about 45 goals in all competitions. Bit annoying, was looking forward to seeing how I would get on back in the Premiership.

Started another file copying RG's idea of going Leeds and building a team around Scottish players. Had to sell a shit load of players to get some transfer money in but have bought practically a new first team, including McGinn, Armstrong, Nicholson and Cummings. First game 3-0 away at Reading with the Scottish boys all involved in the goals, laaav it.

I started my first game this year as unemployed, zero badges and holiday'd till I got an interview. First up was Stirling but by the time I got the job we were in the League Cup tournament and the previous manager in his short 2-3 weeks had made 10 signings and the squad was extremely bloated so I quickly started again.

Got hit with Concord in the Vanarama South Conference mid-December. They were rooted to the bottom having not won a game in 23 attempts, I improved their form slightly and managed to win about half my games but it was a lost cause and as they were relegated to non-league I was automatically sacked.

I then pitched up at Clyde, but lost 5 games in a row and was sacked.

I've never been so poor at an FM game before. I'm used to constant glory. Quite worried.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I hate the first season on any new Football Manager because it always seems like it is impossible to actually sign anyone. Don't know why it is but every year the first few months I can't seem to get any new signings and I always, always get off to a slow start. 

My games have changed in the last few years. Almost every year until about 2012 I played a joint game with my best mate (usually Bundesliga) and my own Dundee United game plus during the year I would start an 1860 Munich one, a Forfar one and sometimes a French one. I don't seem to do that anymore and I probably one have one or two games per year that I stick to. I don't think in my entire time playing Champ Man/Football Manager I have ever started with an English Premiership team or Spanish team (although I've managed in those league briefly). I have zero interest in managing one of the 'giants' like Barca, Real, Bayern, Man Utd etc. In general I cannot stand managing in any English league, I don't know why that is, maybe the length of the season or the size of the league. I have never ventured to any bizarre country in Eastern Europe or South America (thats despite reading some excellent manager stories involving those leagues online).

I have used editors now and again but either to change leagues around to make things interesting or to download a custom database (but I usually lose interest fairly quickly). I sometimes used to use the in-game editor but that was only to change things I thought were wrong (normally if the United squad was massively overrated for example......)

I think overall the game has become less enjoyable and for someone my age (33) and my playing history (every game since 1997) then it peaked a few years ago and now is sometimes a bit too detailed and fiddly (for example I get the fact that teams have to change tactics during the season but I've always been bugged by the fact that it now seems like you are constantly tweaking things. Do real clubs actually change tactics game to game?).

Ta for the response.

I used to love managing one of the Moscow teams in Russia (Spartak or Lokomotiv usually, sometimes CSA), around the time O'Connor was at Lokomotiv, as the seasons were nice and short so every point was massive, it didn't drag on, and you have quite a few derbies each season. Also went Zenit a lot while they had Kerzhakov and Arshavin. For some reason any time I've tried managing them since I've really struggled to get into it.

I also don't like managing in England, at any level. Length of season hurts but by and large I've tended to get the most enjoyment from taking fairly well set-up sides from unfashionable leagues as far as I can, dominating domestically and getting to the latter stages of the Europa or CL - starting out with what amounts to a relative shoestring then raking in £££'s from transfer profits as the seasons go by. South American league set-ups put me off, as does the MLS and Australia.

One thing that I don't like about the fiddly parts is that while there's a lot you can do to alter how your team are playing it's quite tricky to pin down exactly how responsive certain set-ups or instructions are, and how much of an impact what you're doing is really making in a match. By and large there's a fair amount of common sense you can apply to the game in terms of how you're setting up your team, substitutions etc. but tbh I tend to get away with barely any effort into the tactical side of things by just focusing on making sure I'm doing better in the transfer market than any of the computer managed teams in my league.

Over time if you're being smart with how you negotiate your contracts, replacing players being sold (*ALWAYS* at a profit), signing players at value and getting a good scouting set-up then you'll win purely by having better squad depth than anyone else - one thing I've noticed is that you can end up with a squad of 22/23/24 players that are all good enough for your first team and, if you rotate them well, you can end up playing teams quite frequently who have players that aren't at full fitness or just back from injury while your side are all at 95%+ match fitness.

I don't enjoy the first season at all and as a result, usually set my team up the way I like, get any initial players in that I want, lose any shite that I can  and then holiday through until about the end of May in season 1 (stopping in January for any PCA players and getting more deadwood shifted).

Second season onwards is always where it's at in Football Manager.

Its unheard of for me to be this far into a save (fourth season) so early since it was released. I had a fairly average first season with Bilbao so left them and went to Brentford, now we're in the Premier League with the £95m TV revenue. Just a shame that the players that I've picked up are so mediocre. 

Also got Ian Cathro as assistant manager again. :thumsup2