Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

2 minutes ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1477434335.405761.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1477434375.424372.jpgImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1477434495.132433.jpg

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1477434561.887649.jpgImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1477434626.081323.jpg

Some of my favourite pictures from Kilbowie Park - still miss it after 20 years!

I recall being there in the mid 70's and was amazed to see the game being videoed, IIRC it was from the roost in the stand in the middle photo, do you remember this?

I recall being there in the mid 70's and was amazed to see the game being videoed, IIRC it was from the roost in the stand in the middle photo, do you remember this?

What game are you talking about mate? I do recall that when they did film at Kilbowie it was usually from the roof of the changing room area as seen in this picture from a Scottish League Cup tie v Celtic in September 1971

5812e35c9124c_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Kilbowie (apart from the Ken Eadie Show when we got horsed 7-1). It was weird how the segregating fence was half as high as other grounds. As if because it was seated that people wouldn't stand up to climb over it.

I also once got a skelf whilst sliding along to let someone in the end of a row.

Went to Kilbowie once, in 1995 for a League Cup tie.  

It went to extra time, and Stevie Woods (ex-Motherwell goalkeeper and current Celtic coach) played the last 15 minutes or so on the right wing as he was our last available sub when Mitchell van der Gaag got carried off with a broken leg.

It was the first time I had seen Motherwell win a penalty shootout.  

34 minutes ago, Desp said:

Went to Kilbowie once, in 1995 for a League Cup tie.  

It went to extra time, and Stevie Woods (ex-Motherwell goalkeeper and current Celtic coach) played the last 15 minutes or so on the right wing as he was our last available sub when Mitchell van der Gaag got carried off with a broken leg.

It was the first time I had seen Motherwell win a penalty shootout.  

I played in a 5's league that he was in a team in years ago, and to be fair, he played as an outfield player and was pretty handy!

16 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Only in Kilbowie once, for a Scottish Cup Replay early/mid 90's. Pissed down for 90 mins then cleared up for extra time.
I've absolutely no recollection what the score was.

If it's the same one I attended then it was 4-3 to Aberdeen. It was one of the best games I've ever been to. Iirc the Dons were 2-0 up but the Bankies came back to take the lead before two late Scott Booth goals settled it.

Eta I think it was 1993.

Edited by microdave

Speaking about roofs, what was the thinking behind the old Tynecastle one where their main singing crowd used to gather in the corner when it was terraced?

Only a wee bit of the sideline & a fraction behind the goal had a roof & the rest was exposed to the elements.

3 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Speaking about roofs, what was the thinking behind the old Tynecastle one where their main singing crowd used to gather in the corner when it was terraced?

Only a wee bit of the sideline & a fraction behind the goal had a roof & the rest was exposed to the elements.

Most grounds just had wee bits of terracing covered. Maybe folk were just better weather worn back in the day.

4 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

It covered most of the touchline about as far as the penalty box tbf. Maybe to do with money or the brewery next door. It cost 32k at the time.

cannae be bothered raking out a photo but there's definitely a good one in my blog HERE

If it's the same one I attended then it was 4-3 to Aberdeen. It was one of the best games I've ever been to. Iirc the Dons were 2-0 up but the Bankies came back to take the lead before two late Scott Booth goals settled it.

Eta I think it was 1993.

Yeah, think that was the one. Did Paul Kane score for the Dandies that night?

It covered most of the touchline about as far as the penalty box tbf. Maybe to do with money or the brewery next door. It cost 32k at the time.

cannae be bothered raking out a photo but there's definitely a good one in my blog HERE

Aye that's the one. Remember we used to be in the Georgie Rd end and having to park the Supporters buses along by some wee Crescent that felt like miles away & in the middle of it was a grass bit that had cattle grazing on it lol. Used to get into the ground through the gap in the flats. Was about 15 on my first visit there.

If it was about cost would they not have been better putting a bit more on the sideline instead of the wee bit around the corner? Was just strange seeing it the first time.

2 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

...would they not have been better putting a bit more on the sideline instead of the wee bit around the corner? Was just strange seeing it the first time.

The sidelines were completely covered... for the home fans anyway.

TYNECASTLE 80.jpg