Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

How long did they stick with the crazy exploding grass pattern? I quite like it, though I imagine linesmen wouldn't have.

Usually churned to a muddy heap by  mid :(October 

Boxing was regularly held at Firhill. Some fights attracted around 30,000 spectators in the 50s. 

IMG_0187.JPG

Apparently this was crowd favourite Peter Keenan with the main stand in the background.

How long did they stick with the crazy exploding grass pattern? I quite like it, though I imagine linesmen wouldn't have.

We got told to stop doing it by the league around 1991/92. Can't remember exactly why, though I think that it being distracting for linesmen might have been mentioned.

My late dad always said the changes made to Firhill for greyhounds ruined the ground. Before this the main stand (1927) was seated right down to the trackside , and  the terracing round the other three sides was in perfect symmetry in a classic rectangular shape - it also went down to the pitch and you could touch the goal nets from behind the goals.      To fit in the dug track the pitch was moved yards north (to this day the stand doesn't "match" the pitch with the old players' tunnel and dugouts off centre - indeed the away dugout is on the centre line with the home one at a disadvantage away from the centre line , a quirky relic from bringing in the dugs).    The front rows of the main stand seats were removed as it is today.        The main and south terracing were also cut back creating a high drop to the pitch , with the north end demolished and replaced with that semi-circular abomination miles from the pitch.   All this resulted in an ugly dugs dinner (pun entirely intended) of a stadium with no symmetry.   When the greyhounds left matters were a little rectified by eg the south terrace being brought back down to the front as before , and the erection of the shed , but the damage was done.      I could rant further re the present day disaster zone at the south end - a grass bank!!!      Finally as an diddy/technophobe I can't do the links , but there are a couple of magnificent films on the National Library of Scotland  "Moving Image Archive" which show old Firhill from the 1920s - the now well known film of the 1925 Junior Cup Final Saltcoats v St Anthony's + the "Grosvenor Topical News" footage from a local cinema including  school sports days at Firhill. The 1925 film shows the previous stand of course,  with the schools one showing the the current 1927 stand in it's original glory.         Apologies for rambling - great thread .

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Jake Burns said:

It was, the guy on the step in front of you was chest high, always guaranteed a good view. Loved going to tannadice back then but it was always a let down if we got tickets for behind the goal. 

I'll have stood on it once myself, under a roof when Queens played there in the Cup in 1990.  It was very roomy for that particular game and I don't remember being especially aware of its steepness.

On 08/01/2017 at 21:24, Staggie52 said:

That's a mock up used in an advertisement for a car manufacturer, Audi I think. It gets circulated from time to time and then someone posts a link to the original. I think the rest is genuine.

Just because it was used in an ad doesn't mean it wasn't a real photo. Anyway it wasn't taken in Scotland since above the trap you can see it say (WALT)HAMSTOW STADIUM.

37 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Just because it was used in an ad doesn't mean it wasn't a real photo. Anyway it wasn't taken in Scotland since above the trap you can see it say (WALT)HAMSTOW STADIUM.

If you google it you can find the whole story, it is a mock up. 

On 06/01/2017 at 18:09, Stellaboz said:

It's very hard to imagine it when you're standing on the site of old Cathkin Park. It feels like there wouldn't be room for these stands around it but then the trees have reclaimed a lot of it.

Oh! They were there alright.

I saw a good few games at Cathkin. Interesting is that the only 2 grounds I have seen in Scotland with that wee house / pavilion thing is Cathkin and Airdrie's old ground Broomfield.

I saw a 3-3 draw between the 2 at Broomfield in Thirds last season in the top division.