Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Because of going to various Junior Cup Finals and various other matches I've seen more games at Firhill that didn't involve Partick than did!

I've seen a few Clyde games there.

Seeing the highlights of the Ayr v Ross County game last night , it looked to me like the Ayr fans behind the goal when they scored were able to move to the other end for the second half. Is that right ?  I’m a bit jealous if it is.  I used to like being able to flit between the Beach End and the South Terrace at Pittodrie in the 1970’s when I was a tiny wee lad... Can’t remember exactly when that stopped.......probably when  individual seats were installed in the South Terrace , and it became , oddly enough, the South Stand 

Edited by A96

1 hour ago, A96 said:

Seeing the highlights of the Ayr v Ross County game last night , it looked to me like the Ayr fans behind the goal when they scored were able to move to the other end for the second half. Is that right ?  I’m a bit jealous if it is.  I used to like being able to flit between the Beach End and the South Terrace at Pittodrie in the 1970’s when I was a tiny wee lad... Can’t remember exactly when that stopped.......probably when  individual seats were installed in the South Terrace , and it became , oddly enough, the South Stand 

Only when the away support is sufficiently low that it can be accommodated in the stand and enclosure. Only 162 County fans yesterday so it was open for us. Some older fans remember the Railway End as the traditional home end.

19 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Only when the away support is sufficiently low that it can be accommodated in the stand and enclosure. Only 162 County fans yesterday so it was open for us. Some older fans remember the Railway End as the traditional home end.

My one and only trip to Somerset Park was to see Keith in the Scottish Cup in the mid -80s. Too pished to remember much about it , but we were behind one of the goals  , with open terracing to our  left and the main stand to the right. The opposite end seemed to be the most vocal section of the home support. 

I think Ayr were struggling at that time and  our hopes of causing an upset, increased as the day wore on in direct proportion to the level of alcohol consumption.  Until about 5 past 3 when Ayr scored their first. They were 3-nil up after about 30 minutes I think.

Final score was 3-1

21 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
On 18/01/2020 at 12:09, Andy_K_97 said:
That does seem unusual. Any time I've been as an away fan we've been situated in the old main stand. The only other time I've been was a few months ago to a Scotland youth international where we beat Germany 1-0 and the fans were in the old stand too. Was hoping to get a seat in the Jackie Husband just to say I'd been in but no dice. 

We used to get the stand behind the goals and we've been in the old stand a few times but the last couple of times I've been there it's been the Husband stand with the weird segregation/or not set up.

Been in all 3 with ICT but also stood at the other end when it was terracing. Probably 1975.

3 hours ago, A96 said:

My one and only trip to Somerset Park was to see Keith in the Scottish Cup in the mid -80s. Too pished to remember much about it , but we were behind one of the goals  , with open terracing to our  left and the main stand to the right. The opposite end seemed to be the most vocal section of the home support. 

I think Ayr were struggling at that time and  our hopes of causing an upset, increased as the day wore on in direct proportion to the level of alcohol consumption.  Until about 5 past 3 when Ayr scored their first. They were 3-nil up after about 30 minutes I think.

Final score was 3-1

I remember that game. I was still at primary but I vividly remember two or three Keith fans going wild in the home end when they scored!

22 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

I remember that game. I was still at primary but I vividly remember two or three Keith fans going wild in the home end when they scored!

Wild ?!… I was livid 

216 miles (give or take) and we were 3-nil down in no time

8 hours ago, A96 said:

Final score was 3-1

We were mid table at the time, I think. We finished 7th of 14 that season (84-85). As an aside, I was one of the ball boys at the Railway End end that day. When Keith scored their fans went nuts and some bearded guy in a duffle coat starting flicking vics at me and my colleague. Still they were better behaved than the St Mirren fans in the next round, but that's another story.

Edited by RedEd

15 hours ago, RedEd said:

Still they were better behaved than the St Mirren fans in the next round, but that's another story.

I remember that game. Fair bit of trouble i think. I can remember there being a fair buzz about McAvennire playing. 1-0 to the buddies?

6 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

I remember that game. Fair bit of trouble i think. I can remember there being a fair buzz about McAvennire playing. 1-0 to the buddies?

It was 1-0. I think Fraser Campbell was the scorer. Two or three years later he was playing against us for Stranraer.

• 2 months later...
On 17/01/2020 at 21:13, energyzone said:
On 17/01/2020 at 17:18, jagfox99 said:
Firhill before it's inevitable destruction tomorrow evening emoji6.pngemoji173.pngemoji169.pngemoji1665.png

FB_IMG_1579280266849.jpg.ae614c14bed9849fc8c9ed12cb405fc4.jpg
FB_IMG_1579280269684.jpg.f36c73ff96828157154cb6fca0fe3ba2.jpg
FB_IMG_1579280272925.jpg.68272fc2b96691990bf34f4c59cd9902.jpg

I was on the canal path recently and found out you can see quite a lot of the pitch from that vantage point. Do you get a lot of people standing watching a match from there?

How it was planned to look with a development which I think was planned in 90's

firhillvision.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
4 hours ago, realmadrid said:
How it was planned to look with a development which I think was planned in 90's
firhillvision.jpg&key=487a58a372210c792dba14e54795ef8e38bf09589d4c207d2988fae997477f68

That looks amazing.

Is it not basically the current ground with a duplicate of the north stand instead of the bing and a couple of office blocks in the corners?

Edited by parsforlife

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Is it not basically the current ground with a duplicate of the north stand instead of the bing and a couple of office blocks in the corners?

Sort of. The two end stands look bigger and no student flats. 

9 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Sort of. The two end stands look bigger and no student flats. 

On 2nd look they are about the same height as the JHS.

Would have resulted in a ridiculous capacity. I’d reckon an extra 2000 in north stand and maybe 4000 in the opposite end?

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

On 2nd look they are about the same height as the JHS.

Would have resulted in a ridiculous capacity. I’d reckon an extra 2000 in north stand and maybe 4000 in the opposite end?

Im sure we played them just after the plans came out and in the programme there was a letter saying the capacity could be too small.