Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 27/12/2020 at 00:40, sophia said:

and if you will forgive the torture, it shoots another tory fox that there is a return to the glory days of black fish landings should we be free of the pesky shared scientific imperatives.

Contrary to what many people thought in that many fishermen voted overwhelmingly for the Tories especially in the north east,that wasn’t the case regarding the fishermen on the west coast,I.e. Greenock,many of them knew Brexshit was a disaster from the outset and voted against it.

On 27/12/2020 at 10:18, LongTimeLurker said:

Singapore is renowned for money laundering as are some other former British colonies like Cyprus and the Seychelles. The good o!d US of A is no stranger to these kinds of escapades. Puerto Rico's pseudo-colonial status has its uses for America's 1% just as Jersey and the Cayman Islands do for the UK's.

Jersey isn’t the financial place it once was though,I’m not sure how it will cope after Brexshit tbh.

It only has a population of 110,000 but many companies have pulled out since 2007 when it held almost £220bn of deposits, and administered another £221bn of funds, as well as hundreds of billions in trusts. The finance sector’s profits that year were more than £1bn, unemployment was barely 1%, and gross national income per person was significantly higher than in Britain or the U.S.A.

Since then,it’s been losing around £125 million a year,not much in monetary terms but nobody wants to run at a loss but like I previously said,I don’t know how the carry on regarding Brexshit will go.

I strongly suspect that Nigel Farage & Co were chasing a mirage when they talked about turning the UK into the European version of Singapore because as with fish the EU has more leverage, but we will have to wait a bit to see how effectively the EU handles UK access on financial services to their own benefit rather than the UK's. As others have alluded to having ill gotten capital from Latin America, the third world and post-Soviet portions of Eurasia slosh its way back into their economies via offshore tax havens and the City of London after resource and illicit drug purchases send vast sums in the opposite direction is something that ultimately benefits them. Odds on it will always be more about clamping down on EU citizens getting up to no good in taxation terms than anything else, which is what suddenly made Brexit attractive for a lot of the UK's 1%, and why it is not so good for the 99%, if they can see beyond fish and Polish plumbers. 

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I strongly suspect that Nigel Farage & Co were chasing a mirage when they talked about turning the UK into the European version of Singapore because as with fish the EU has more leverage, but we will have to wait a bit to see how effectively the EU handles UK access on financial services to their own benefit rather than the UK's. As others have alluded to having ill gotten capital from Latin America, the third world and post-Soviet portions of Eurasia slosh its way back into their economies via offshore tax havens and the City of London after resource and illicit drug purchases send vast sums in the opposite direction is something that ultimately benefits them. Odds on it will always be more about clamping down on EU citizens getting up to no good in taxation terms than anything else, which is what suddenly made Brexit attractive for a lot of the UK's 1%, and why it is not so good for the 99%, if they can see beyond fish and Polish plumbers. 

I like Frankie Boyle, but does he have to use the fucking "F" word so fucking much?

I have to wonder sometimes if it's the only fucking adjective he fucking knows.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I like Frankie Boyle, but does he have to use the fucking "F" word so fucking much?

I have to wonder sometimes if it's the only fucking adjective he fucking knows.

To paraphrase the man himself: “In Glasgow the word ‘fucking’ is just a warning that a noun is about to arrive”.

4 hours ago, beefybake said:

After her knee to knee with Johnson documentary a couple of years ago which echoed the 'at home with the Camerons' one done

by Nick Robinson just prior to a previous election.., I'm generally in agreement with the tweeter who said.....

"....  I used to have a lot of respect for Robert Peston, but throughout this election he's been so far up Boris Johnson's arse he can see Laura Kuenssberg's feet..."

[ Except for the bit about Robert Peston. He's always been a showboater. ]

Nick Robinson was Chairman of the Young Conservatives in the 80s. Like Cameron, he was on the snobbish public school, Europhile wing of the Tories.

Robert Peston, like Louis Theroux, is very creepy in a Savilesque way. His superficial analysis and socially awkward interviewing is a cover for his lack of intelligence. I switch off or over when that stupid twat comes on. 

6 hours ago, Stormzy said:

I seemed to have missed the SNP switching to pro No Deal Brexit btw. 

Good lads.  

The 27 countries of the EU want a deal between the UK and the EU - with ambassadors of the countries unanimously backing it .  The Scottish Separatists don't.

The same Scottish Separatists who have previously been vocal in their support of the partitioning of Spain.

Maybe they're not such good Europeans after all.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Dup voting against the deal aswell

Bizarre that anyone thought they could ever be seen to back the Irish Sea customs border (which is very much their f-up for not grasping quickly enough that Boris and ERG are Little Englanders rather than genuinely British on national identity and were hence an even bigger threat to Unionism of the 1801 variety than Corbyn) and I've seen examples of it in recent days.

22 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The welcher Kincardine is putting a shift in to try to get some daylight between his and the SNP's views on Europe.

I support the 27 countries of the EU and support a deal.  The Separatists ally themselves with the DUP and don't.

Takes barely any work.

Edited by The_Kincardine

20 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I support the 27 countries of the EU.  The Separatists ally themselves with the DUP and don't...

The UK as a concept ends for me emotionally without Ulster as an equal participant, because I have no interest in being an appendage of a Brexit Little England that is thoroughly separatist in EU terms, stuck in some bizarre imperial twilight timewarp and views other portions of the UK as expendable.

What would we be to them at this point without oil and gas, and if they didn't see losing us as a threat to UN security council status? I suspect some of the ERG types and Nigel probably secretly do want to jettison us for electoral reasons to create a smaller England & Wales state more safe electorally for their rabid brand of kipperism that wants to create a money laundering haven just off the EU coast with workers rights and environmental standards slashed in a US red state sort of way.

Hopefully there is a massive backlash to what is about to unfold and a pro-Remain government starts to undo all the damage post-2024 but not holding my breath. The Union of 1707 might not even  last that long. Nigel Farage and all the Little Englanders that drove the crazy Brexit agenda and do not seem capable of ever fully coming to terms with devolution will have played just as big a role as the SNP, if the UK unravels at this point. 

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

pretty much. They can't be seen to be less than the tories on this. Won't work of course but they're gleaning the fields long after they were harvested.

Political historians will look back in wonder at how Brexit was an absolute car crash for Labour and the Lib Dems.

1 minute ago, bendan said:

Political historians will look back in wonder at how Brexit was an absolute car crash for Labour and the Lib Dems.

Labour needed someone young to the left of the pseudo-Tory Blairites who could articulate a modern pro-European Remain orientated left wing agenda in which the EU helps to close down all the offshore tax havens post Panama Papers freeing up more revenue to end austerity and fund left of centre policies. Don't blame immigrants blame the tax-dodging elite that ran the banks that needed the bailouts.

Instead, they got a Sinn Fein and Hamas sympathising geriatric crank that wanted to leave the EU to pursue a 1970s insular hard left agenda and actively helped derail any attempt to secure a second referendum or EEA type outcome. The Lib Dems had already fatally compromised themselves by being in coalition with David Cameron when the completely avoidable Brexit referendum was held.