Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Why is this anything to do with Brexit?  Unless COVID is a result of Brexit too!
Pretty desperate when every negative encountered is blamed on Brexit.
How about this one that nobody on here appears to want to acknowledge.
UK Reclaims 5th largest economy, set to outgrow the EU

It's got f**k all to do with Covid. Parcels to the EU now need customs forms.
UK reclaims fifth spot because Indian economy falters is not the wonderful event you think it is.

56 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I was trying to find the actual report on the CEBR website but couldn't see it - you got a link anywhere to a pdf of it? The gap that is projected to grow between the UK and France is enormous, I'd be interested to read what is likely to cause it.

All I can find is this, there's another CEBR in Indiana though, unlikely to be them.

https://cebr.com/reports/cebr-comment-on-the-provisional-brexit-deal/

P.S. Most of the info is behind a fire wall. They seem to be a regular source for the right wing press so I don't know if they're reliably objective.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2008/12/mail-d12.html

Edited by welshbairn

15 hours ago, bendan said:

Political historians will look back in wonder at how Brexit was an absolute car crash for Labour and the Lib Dems.

I don't think having someone that supported the principle of Brexit whilst also playing the populist and adopting a wishy washy 7 and a half out of 10 stance in charge of the main opposition party helped very much. 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I was trying to find the actual report on the CEBR website but couldn't see it - you got a link anywhere to a pdf of it? The gap that is projected to grow between the UK and France is enormous, I'd be interested to read what is likely to cause it.

It doesn't appear to be published on their site yet.  It is mentioned in the release on Christmas Eve.

Would you like me to provide other sources.  The report of from the CEBR, I don't think it particularly matters where I link to it but give me list of approved sources and I'll see what I can do.
It's the point that 2035 is 14 years away - National Statistics can't even get a GERS prediction right just a year ahead - CEBR (or any others making these sorts of longer range predictions) will be just as inaccurate.

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

Would you like me to provide other sources.  The report of from the CEBR, I don't think it particularly matters where I link to it but give me list of approved sources and I'll see what I can do.

You can post whatever you like for predictions for 2035 

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

It's got f**k all to do with Covid. Parcels to the EU now need customs forms.
UK reclaims fifth spot because Indian economy falters is not the wonderful event you think it is.

The Royal Mail state something completely different.

Coronavirus Impact

Royal Mail and Parcelforce services to Europe have been reopened and are now fully operational. For items posted today, customers should expect a delay up to 2 working days for some countries.

We're working with our airline and postal/courier partners across the globe to maintain services, however delays should be expected. Many countries have implemented special measure to combat the spread of Coronavirus COVID-19, especially for signature service to maintain social distancing. The number of countries we can access is changing daily.

I think this is a classic case of fake news.

No comment on the UK forecast to outgrow Europe?

ETA:. We don't need customs forms for the EU yet either so your wrong on multiple accounts.  This will suprise absolutely nobody.

From 1st January -Changes when Brexit actually happens

Edited by strichener

9 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's the point that 2035 is 14 years away - National Statistics can't even get a GERS prediction right just a year ahead - CEBR (or any others making these sorts of longer range predictions) will be just as inaccurate.

Which equally applies to the scare stories on how the UK economy will tank post leaving the EU.  

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

Feel free to read it for yourself.  WELT 2021

Cheers. The difference between their forecasts for UK and France is 0.1% of growth from 2025 onwards, with the UK at 1.8% and France at 1.7%. Given the probable range of error, I'm not sure where they get the 2035 estimate of UK's GDP being 23% higher than France's in dollar terms, unless they're predicting a collapse of the Euro. I wonder if they missed out a decimal point.

Edited by welshbairn