Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

No, you're really wrong about this.

The EU is not allowed to interfere in residency and citizenship issues involving citizens of countries that aren't in the EU. It's outside their legal competence.

They did co-ordinate some movement arrangements on behalf of members as part of the Withdrawal Agreement, but obviously that would never go beyond what the UK was offering. Why should they give more freedom of movement rights to UK citizens when 1) the UK wasn't offering the same to EU citizens and 2) the UK's citizens had voted to leave?

The EU and the UK agreed to protect the residence rights of EU nationals and their family members living in the UK and those of UK nationals and their family members living in an EU country. 

The agreement covers those citizens living in the UK or in an EU country before 31 December 2020 and staying there afterwards.

This protection is not automatic in all EU countries or in the UK.

This is the EU that negotiated this, not the member states.

5 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You even used quotation marks to advertise that you know there's no such thing as an EU Citizen, rather than citizens of member states. To be consistent, you should have done the same for the pphrase "EU nationals", what with the EU not being a Nation and all. 

So why were they so many people greeting about losing their EU citizenship?

The non-nation EU acts just like a nation taking part in the G7 for example.

12 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Brexit benefit still not found.

I mean, that's pretty bad. Still surprises me that financial services wasn't the core access point the UK government insisted on.

34 minutes ago, renton said:

I mean, that's pretty bad. Still surprises me that financial services wasn't the core access point the UK government insisted on.

More short term windfalls from unconstrained deregulation perhaps.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

More short term windfalls from unconstrained deregulation perhaps.

^^^ This.  A spin government interested in short-term gain for a small cohort of key individuals regardless of the impact on the economy.  The only other thing Johnson is interested in is a very well paid gig when he jacks it all in before the next election.  And despite the economic carnage he has caused and will cause there is no doubt such a gig will be forthcoming.

Can't say I as a punter investor have noticed much of a brexit effect. I think some peoples jobs have moved but don't get the impression it's many - mostly seems the industry itself solved the problems by setting up subsidiaries in EU territory, I get messages saying various funds are now based in Luxmebourg or Dublin and I give an almighty shrug at the news. Scotland could get in on this at some point in the future with our well developed financial services sector.
I don't like the idea of Spacs getting easier to list in London given the great majority of them lose money for their investors.

A slight acceleration in things getting worse and becoming the centre of Normal Island’s culture war for the next 25 years is probably the best way to summarise Brexit’s effects.

18 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Brexit benefit still not found.

Absolute nonsense. 

Merkle and Marcon squawking like strangled parrots as Frankfurt and Euronet exchanges take a pounding. The business didn't come their way. 

Awh diddums. 

3 hours ago, BlueBear said:

Absolute nonsense. 

Merkle and Marcon squawking like strangled parrots as Frankfurt and Euronet exchanges take a pounding. The business didn't come their way. 

Awh diddums. 

Your head was obviously full of Megan Markle when you typed that.  Or full of some sort of shit.  The Footsie listing is beginning to resemble the prizes on Bullseye circa 1983 as emerging stocks head elsewhere.  As for business not moving to the continent, it's far too early to make that claim as Brexit increasingly begins to drag on the UK economy.

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Your head was obviously full of Megan Markle when you typed that.  Or full of some sort of shit.  The Footsie listing is beginning to resemble the prizes on Bullseye circa 1983 as emerging stocks head elsewhere.  As for business not moving to the continent, it's far too early to make that claim as Brexit increasingly begins to drag on the UK economy.

The seeth of a remainer is pleasing. 

Nothing worse than the self loathing coming out with the spelling shite. No amount of denial from Pluto will change the facts. 

"But he knows only too well that these British relocations and virtual asset transfers are there to allow the City to continue selling its own packages to EU clients after ‘passporting’ ended on January 1."

Indeed, the recent claim that "Amsterdam ousts London as Europe’s top share trading hub" was briskly debunked by the economist Gerard Lyons, the Professor added, who pointed out that most EU trading is a subset of the international trading that takes place in London, not to mention derivatives and currency trading where London is the global leader on which the EU is cruelly dependent. "

Oops! 

The City still rules because of the rules! 

Project fear has ended. Get with the programme ffs. 

3 hours ago, BlueBear said:

The seeth of a remainer is pleasing. 

Nothing worse than the self loathing coming out with the spelling shite. No amount of denial from Pluto will change the facts. 

"But he knows only too well that these British relocations and virtual asset transfers are there to allow the City to continue selling its own packages to EU clients after ‘passporting’ ended on January 1."

Indeed, the recent claim that "Amsterdam ousts London as Europe’s top share trading hub" was briskly debunked by the economist Gerard Lyons, the Professor added, who pointed out that most EU trading is a subset of the international trading that takes place in London, not to mention derivatives and currency trading where London is the global leader on which the EU is cruelly dependent. "

Oops! 

The City still rules because of the rules! 

Project fear has ended. Get with the programme ffs. 

"seeth"; "pleasing"; "self-loathing"; "denial"; "facts" 

a  BINGO win to start my day. Pleasing.