Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

13 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

As much as I agree with his comments re. around Brexiteers not having a solid plan in place and assuming the negotiation would have been easy.

This will only rile your gammon types and will only reinforce their desire to leave.

Only an ignorant idiot could take any issue with what Tusk said, he's basically just stated publicly what any rational person has known since the beginning and there really can be no argument.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He had his chance and f***** it up. The UUP will never make a come back electorally, imho.

Perhaps, but I sense he is more acutely aware of the dangers of unionism being synonymous with the more hardline elements of the DUP in the minds of younger voters and 'softer' unionists in the medium to long term. Unfortunately, 'reaching out' seems to have contributed to dooming him at the ballot box, although I'm sure there will have been other factors at play. 

12 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Perhaps, but I sense he is more acutely aware of the dangers of unionism being synonymous with the more hardline elements of the DUP in the minds of younger voters and 'softer' unionists in the medium to long term. Unfortunately, 'reaching out' seems to have contributed to dooming him at the ballot box, although I'm sure there will have been other factors at play. 

It's easy to be "conciliatory" and "reach out" when you have no power and nothing to lose. Alliance have been "concialatory" (when it suited) for years and they haven't got too far. David Trimble and John Hume were both conciliatory and their parties were wiped out...

43 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

As much as I agree with his comments re. around Brexiteers not having a solid plan in place and assuming the negotiation would have been easy.

This will only rile your gammon types and will only reinforce their desire to leave.

I can’t imagine why the EU would want Britain back now, even if we changed our minds about leaving. More trouble than we’re worth. It’s going to be a shitshow either way.

Just now, Frankie S said:

I can’t imagine why the EU would want Britain back now, even if we changed our minds about leaving. More trouble than we’re worth. It’s going to be a shitshow either way.

Aye we've well and truly burnt our bridges!

No chance of getting any future reforms in place now

45 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Only an ignorant idiot could take any issue with what Tusk said, he's basically just stated publicly what any rational person has known since the beginning and there really can be no argument.

They're not exactly in short supply though, are they?

Aye we've well and truly burnt our bridges!
No chance of getting any future reforms in place now
As much as its true that large swathes of Britain, via the people and the press have made an utter c**t of themselves over this, id like to think high powered EU are able to recognise that it is this shitshow of a "government" that are most to blame for the shambling air of total incompetence and cringworthy rhetoric, and that surely not all future UK governments will be so tragic in attempting to deal with the EU.

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

As much as its true that large swathes of Britain, via the people and the press have made an utter c**t of themselves over this, id like to think high powered EU are able to recognise that it is this shitshow of a "government" that are most to blame for the shambling air of total incompetence and cringworthy rhetoric, and that surely not all future UK governments will be so tragic in attempting to deal with the EU.

Yes but unfortunately all past governments have also found it convenient to take a regular swipe at the EU and portrayed membership as something to be endured rather than something beneficial.

Basically they are waiting for a UK government with a positive attitude and in all honesty they don't expect that is going to happen any time soon.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's easy to be "conciliatory" and "reach out" when you have no power and nothing to lose. Alliance have been "concialatory" (when it suited) for years and they haven't got too far. David Trimble and John Hume were both conciliatory and their parties were wiped out...

Sure, but just because you aren't rewarded electorally doesn't mean that what you are saying is entirely without merit - party politics is often so short-term and tribal, after all. If I were a Northern Irish unionist, I think I'd be concerned about the impact of the DUP's dominance on unionism's medium to longer term prospects, especially post-Brexit and with younger voters, but I could be misreading things. 

Edited by DrewDon

Always felt that the EU remained hopeful that this clusterfuck would somehow be reversed. Tusks statement pretty much shows that the EU have given up on that hope. Part of me wishes that Europe would just tell us to go f**k ourselves and slam the door shut

Always felt that the EU remained hopeful that this clusterfuck would somehow be reversed. Tusks statement pretty much shows that the EU have given up on that hope. Part of me wishes that Europe would just tell us to go f**k ourselves and slam the door shut
Then open it to an independent Scotland for #scenes.

48 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Sure, but just because you aren't rewarded electorally doesn't mean that what you are saying is entirely without merit - party politics is often so short-term and tribal, after all. If I were a Northern Irish unionist, I think I'd be concerned about the impact of the DUP's dominance on unionism's medium to longer term prospects, especially post-Brexit and with younger voters, but I could be misreading things. 

I didn't say it was without merit, but unless and until it resonates with the voters - particularly those with SF councils - he can be as conciliatory as he want. It may go down well in leafy middle class suburbia at the dinner parties, but not so much in the working class council housing estates over the fish suppers. 

The stand-up comedian Jeremy Hardy died recently.

I recall one line he said:

"It must be wonderful being a Lib Dem politician.  You can promise anything - a giraffe in every garden - and it doesn't matter because you'll never form the government and you'll never have to deliver on any of these promises".

That was said long ago, before the Lib Dems went into coalition with the Tories.

However I find it relevant.  I feel with Brexit that the Tories are offering a giraffe in every garden, have absolutely no idea how to deliver on it, have not got hold of a single giraffe and are trying to blame the EU for all their difficulties.

Now if it had been duck billed platypuses then that might have been easier ...