Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Fair amount of Brexitphiles banging on about how we would all be talking German if we hadn't won the war.

Can someone explain why everyone in Germany, Japan and Italy don't all speak english?

After all "we" won the war.

A lot of them do , (as you know) mostly due the the world dominance of the USA , not England.

How many Brits in politics and business can speak the language of any of the countries we deal with? Few.

How many Brits even try a few words when they go on holiday? Even fewer.  (FWIW, I do :angel. It's fun. I once ordered 4 red wines and the waitress thought I said 4 octopus)

Obviously it is better if we all learn one common language. Thanks to the Yanks, English is dominant. For now.

ETA           Also, the "war" theme seems to be rampant amongst the brexiters. WTF are they on?

Edited by cyderspaceman

14 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

A lot of them do , (as you know) mostly due the the world dominance of the USA , not England.

How many Brits in politics and business can speak the language of any of the countries we deal with? Few.

How many Brits even try a few words when they go on holiday? Even fewer.  (FWIW, I do :angel. It's fun. I once ordered 4 red wines and the waitress thought I said 4 octopus)

Obviously it is better if we all learn one common language. Thanks to the Yanks, English is dominant. For now.

ETA           Also, the "war" theme seems to be rampant amongst the brexiters. WTF are they on?

It's actually Hollywood to blame...........

Could it be that May and Juncker are having an affair and these repetitive meetings are just an excuse for them to hook up?

It would certainly give a whole new meaning to the term ‘Withdrawal Agreement’.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Could it be that May and Juncker are having an affair and these repetitive meetings are just an excuse for them to hook up?

With "no deal" being the safety phrase?

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe that's why he takes a good drink...

Opinion poll with very large sample suggests that Labour will be decimated in the polls if they facilitate Brexit.

I do not see Corbyn or his allies paying any attention to this.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/07/labour-punished-voters-backing-brexit--jeremy-corbyn

Opinion poll with very large sample suggests that Labour will be decimated in the polls if they facilitate Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/07/labour-punished-voters-backing-brexit--jeremy-corbyn
Seems like we have one leader who will put her party before the national interest, or one who will ignore his party because of his own interest.

Toss a coin.....

Were any of the prophets of doom predicting a fate for an independent Scotland that was tangibly worse than what seems to be generally accepted and already in motion for the post Brexit "Broad shouldered UK?

This country is fucking poison. It is highly unlikely that I (an industrial worker from Central Scotland, who grew up in a mining village, Unite member, former steward) will ever vote Labour again. Corbyn has utterly fucked it.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The name's Koresh, Jeremy Koresh.....

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They'd equally be decimated if not 15imated if they fail to prevent a hard brexit by not offering an alternative that could get parliamentary and EU support. The "People's Vote" lot have scurried into the undergrowth since they realised they'd totally fucked up their campaign with Blairite patronisation and couldn't even get an amendment together for last week's votes. Customs Union/Common Market 2.0/Norway+ are the only things on the table imo, and when we realise how shite they are compared to staying in, during the transition period, we can have another referendum for rejoining.

I couldn't especially give two fucks if Labour lose 40 seats in England/Wales - but there doesn't seem to be any kind of explanation of who would benefit. For instance, it'd probably be a good thing if people voted the Greens in with those 40. Lib Dems, not so much.

1 minute ago, JamieThomas said:

I couldn't especially give two fucks if Labour lose 40 seats in England/Wales - but there doesn't seem to be any kind of explanation of who would benefit. For instance, it'd probably be a good thing if people voted the Greens in with those 40. Lib Dems, not so much.

The SNP will take five in Scotland, the Tories will benefit in the majority of the rest due to FPTP.

So a majority Tory Government thanks to Corbyn.

Donald Tusk pouring some petrol on the Brexit bonfire......
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47143135
Gaun yersel Wee Man !!
It's amazing the number of morons (amongst the bots) on BBC HYS who actually don't understand what he said.

They take it as meaning all Brexiters when he meant Brexiters without a plan - the dumb gammons really are as thick as shit.

I'm actually now of the opinion that Tusk and pals want a no deal now as well to show their strength if anyone else gets the same idea. Either that or a cancellation (which can't happen).

Getting ever closer to no deal now.
They were never going to bend no matter the bravado from the Tories - if they had it would play right into the hands of exit campaigns in other countries.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The SNP will take five in Scotland, the Tories will benefit in the majority of the rest due to FPTP.

So a majority Tory Government thanks to Corbyn.

Aye, I was all good with 5 SNP gains. Not sure "not voting at all and helping the Tories gain a majority" is going to help the Remain lads to gain their goal however, hence my scepticism about down south.

Until recently I thought Brexit had the potential to cause severe splits in the Tory Party and give Labour a big advantage; an advantage they could take despite the hostility the MSM and right wing Labour MPs have for Corbyn.
Whilst severe Tory divisions are still possible I now reckon that the splits in Labour a potentially far greater and will have a far longer lasting affect.
Corbyn is betraying the overwhelming majority of Labour members and Labour voters and he will not be forgiven for it.  I’m sceptical about a split in the Labour Party but I see the left/right battles re-emerging with many of the newer members who joined to support Corbyn letting their memberships lapse.
As someone who always wanted to see a genuine left-of-centre Labour Party I find that frustrating and disappointing.

I gave up on the Labour Party 25 years ago.