Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If it came to the crunch I think there would be more support in Parliament for a second referendum rather than straightforward revocation.

I also can’t understand why the Hard Brexiteers are so opposed to a second referendum if they genuinely believe the have the backing of the majority of people.  Surely it’s better passing the buck to the public than accepting the blame when it goes pear shaped.

I was just wondering if May will take it down to the wire in her political poker game with the EU.

Take it as far as she can to see if they blink first. I personally don't believe they will and we'll head to a no deal Brexit. Then we'll see if that was the game all along or if she concedes and revokes Article 50.

My own opinion is we're heading for a no deal... 

It was always going to be a farce, as it wasn't meant to happen and the powers that be don't want it to. If it does happen it will be used to dismantle the NHS and cause so much chaos that we'll rejoin on condition we accept the Euro as our currency. It's a global elite that pulls the strings, and the last thing they want is a return to national sovereignty, tariffs and all the other impediments to their global agenda.

Entirely speculative of course, but that's my take on it. 

17 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I was just wondering if May will take it down to the wire in her political poker game with the EU.

Take it as far as she can to see if they blink first. I personally don't believe they will and we'll head to a no deal Brexit. Then we'll see if that was the game all along or if she concedes and revokes Article 50.

My own opinion is we're heading for a no deal... 

Of course, leaving without a deal doesn't mean that we won't ever have a deal. I wonder if the EU are thinking they might let us crash out without a deal and then come back in a few months with our tail between our legs willing to negotiate something much more favourable to them.

14 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Difficult bit is whatever the deal is needs to be ratified by parliament & nobody has the numbers. I'm not sure MPs will appreciate being pressure cooked into voting for whatever she gets.

She has to basically simultaneously bluff her own backbenchers into thinking the alternative is no Brexit at all whilst bluffing Labour into thinking the alternative is a no deal Brexit. Only then will she accumulate enough votes to win this deal.

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
25 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
The EU does do a fair bit of eleventh hour deal brokering so we'll see.

Why should they ? Sure, they would feel the effects of No Deal but not as deeply as the UK, and this country going to Hell in a handcart would be a cautionary example to every other EU member state.

Totally agree with this, although I think the United Kingdom could do well outside of the EU, it will never be allowed to happen. So yes, a cautionary example sounds right. 

45 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

If we do crash out I suppose the international reappraisal of UK's place in the world will ultimately be a good thing for the country psychologically. I'd rather be in the position of reflecting on that having happened a number of years ago than going through the hardship itself mind.

For the Leavers, who are in constant denial about the UK's place in the world,  there will be no need for reappraisal.  The 'head in the sand' approach to Brexit means constantly  deflecting blame for this self harm to Brussels.  

Brutal reality check heading towards  Middle England very soon.  Might even be entertaining. 

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
The EU does do a fair bit of eleventh hour deal brokering so we'll see.

Why should they ? Sure, they would feel the effects of No Deal but not as deeply as the UK, and this country going to Hell in a handcart would be a cautionary example to every other EU member state.

It would mean them having to either force Eire to impose border controls with the North, having checks on movements from Eire to the EU, or endangering the single market. I think they'll do whatever is needed to get a deal signed, or an extension of A50.

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Of course, leaving without a deal doesn't mean that we won't ever have a deal. I wonder if the EU are thinking they might let us crash out without a deal and then come back in a few months with our tail between our legs willing to negotiate something much more favourable to them.

But you would still need a withdrawal agreement. If you don't then you leave the EU on the 29th March. If you realise it's the wrong thing you would have to rejoin the EU again. Rather than go back to negotiations 

Edited by Colkitto

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Canada. Lisbon treaty when Ireland voted no in their first referendum and got concessions to pass a 2nd one. And Maastricht to get the Danes through.

But apart from those...

14 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Good to see the BBC News highlighting that while Foster is pontificating (or whatever the staunch equivalent is) about Brexit, she is still not doing the job she was elected to at Stormont.

She can't do the job she was elected to at Stormont because Sinn Fein won't form an Executive.  All the other parties are willing to form an Executive.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

She can't do the job she was elected to at Stormont because Sinn Fein won't form an Executive.  All the other parties are willing to form an Executive.

Remind us their reason for this.