Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On the indicative votes issue, only one I can see gaining a majority is probably some kind of Norway plus or Customs Union 2.0 (whatever they call it).  Reckon a 2nd Ref will be defeated, as will, at this stage revoking A50. Could lead to her deal, No deal or Norway becoming the three options 'left'. If that is the case are we closer to a longer extension in order to try and renegotiate the customs union option? 

She still has to drag her deal back at some point... interesting to see if the ERG/DUP at that stage consider it better to back her deal than plump for Norway. Or is the DUP position not now for a longer extension anyway?

Also, if the Norway emerges can they then push for a longer extension just now, rather than waiting until April 12th?

Or...is there is any chance that a 2nd Ref could gain traction? Who knows.

Edited by Jedi

The DUP and ERG have different agenda and are likely to vote different ways. Long delay looks like code for new negotiations and a soft Brexit that removes the need for a backstop. A lot of ERG types will be pushing for May's deal as the next best option from their standpoint to No Deal.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The DUP and ERG have different agenda and are likely to vote different ways. Long delay looks like code for new negotiations and a soft Brexit that removes the need for a backstop. A lot of ERG types will be pushing for May's deal as the next best option from their standpoint to No Deal.
The DUP aren't leaving, their leading!!

FWIW, I think this Common Market 2.0 motion laid by Nick Boles is the proposal that is fairest in recognising the fact that the nation voted leave by a margin of 52/48.

IMG_6583.jpg

We leave the EU, but maintain close alignment. I’m pretty sure a Norway type deal like this means leaving the Common Agricultural Policy, Fisheries Policy, and the Court of Justice.

FWIW, I think this Common Market 2.0 motion laid by Nick Boles is the proposal that is fairest in recognising the fact that the nation voted leave by a margin of 52/48.

IMG_6583.thumb.jpg.c6be7db9d8e8cb72e0f5b2af2acdf8e4.jpg

We leave the EU, but maintain close alignment. I’m pretty sure a Norway type deal like this means leaving the Common Agricultural Policy, Fisheries Policy, and the Court of Justice.

Isn’t that what Labour proposed to the EU last week? Just saying that it might carry support of the house if it is.

Isn’t that what Labour proposed to the EU last week? Just saying that it might carry support of the house if it is.

I’m not convinced the Labour leadership will vote for anything (even if it’s exactly their policy) that hasn’t been proposed by the Labour leadership...

After almost three years of omnishambles that 52/48 margin is well past its sell-by date and is almost certainly in need of refreshing via a second referendum - if there was any honesty in Westminster it. would deserve a serious hearing. There's a real danger in all of this that people fatigued by the whole thing accept a pish outcome on a weary 'Ach, that's no' bad' basis. Wrong call !

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
40 minutes ago, Sooky said:

After almost three years of omnishambles that 52/48 margin is well past its sell-by date and is almost certainly in need of refreshing via a second referendum - if there was any honesty in Westminster it. would deserve a serious hearing. There's a real danger in all of this that people fatigued by the whole thing accept a pish outcome on a weary 'Ach, that's no' bad' basis. Wrong call !

Suspect that's what May's hoping for.

28 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I’m not convinced the Labour leadership will vote for anything (even if it’s exactly their policy) that hasn’t been proposed by the Labour leadership...

That's the problem, they're determined to block any compromise vaguely to do with May's deal. Then so is May. And Granny.

Can't see them agreeing to freedom of movement though, customs union maybe. Immigratiom, keep Britain white bigots will need to be satisfied

That's the problem, they're determined to block any compromise vaguely to do with May's deal. Then so is May. And Granny.

FWIW I think you’re right but they were probably banking on her doing literally nothing to try and work towards a deal with the opposition outwith the DUP. They’ve not been wrong either, she can’t even get her own party to back it unanimously.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Can't see them agreeing to freedom of movement though, customs union maybe. Immigratiom, keep Britain white bigots will need to be satisfied

Clever restating of the existing EU rules restricting freedom of movement that the UK have never bothered using. 

Of all the options, Common Market 2.0 is the most 'middle ground' way of leaving. It deals with the backstop issue by requiring a longer extension to sort it out, and aims for no hard border on Ireland. Takes the UK out of the ECJ, and as said fisheries and agriculture. It is also the best basis from which to strike a meaningful trade deal with the EU during the transition period, and presumably doesn't require a divorce payment of anything like £39 billion. Of course it also leaves the UK with no say in how the EU is run in future, and from that point of view is worse than staying in.

However, it should, on the surface command enough support from Lab, quite a few Tories and also the DUP, which might be enough to take it to the top of the list of options. May would have to be mad (I know) not to try and move forward with this and request the long extension if this gains the most support this week.

Tbh, I would take that deal for an Independent Scotland's relationship with the EU, though if we come out with this 'softest' of Brexit options, Indy Ref 2 ain't happening.

Edited by Jedi

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Not sure what the indicative votes exercise will achieve other than giving Bercow a sore throat yelling DIVISION about 20 times.

He won’t shout “division” on any of the propositions on account of it being a ballot rather than lobby vote.

The Iceland Foreign Minister did a decent job today of selling EFTA to Tories obsessed with striking new trade deals. Not sure if they'd go for the free movement bit though. Liechtenstein might have a few clues about the the Irish Border problem, they've always had an open market with Switzerland and even share a currency, but managed to arrange a separate arrangement with the EU while keeping open borders with the Swiss. Bit like Ireland v UK.

Edited by welshbairn