Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Its a shame that Labour, a party I thought I would always vote for, have chosen this hill to be slaughtered on, since its not even death for a worthy cause.

I hope they find Lib Dem levels of irrelevance and get absolutely horsed out of Scotland at every level.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If you could give us all a constructive argument as to why you believe independence would be so bad for Scotland then I'd be more than willing to listen, however making cheap snide comments doesn't really do it for me when there's nothing behind it to back it up.

By the same token it would also be interesting to read your arguments as to why Brexit would be so good for us all ??

My comment made no reference to indy being good or bad, just the point that the SNP continually make the threat of indyref2 but won't pull the trigger as they know it will not get a majority at the moment.

My point is a shot at the continual 'Scotland won't stand for it, we'll have independence (despite there being no date or even a result)'.  It's assumed by the SNP that Scotland would vote Yes.

As I've stated many times before I voted Yes in indyref1.

1 minute ago, tintax said:

Scotland will never forgive Labour if they vote this through for May. It will lead to a bad brexit deal for Scotland and someone like Boris becoming PM

I don't see how this vote affects who will be the next PM. 

I don't see how this vote affects who will be the next PM. 

Of course it does.

She will play this as a vote for her deal - only a moron would say otherwise.

She wants to go out with her deal passed - it will than be the hard Brexiters driving the agenda because it will be one of them as next PM.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough.

Hopefully wholesale booting out of Labour MPs from the party; I wouldn’t even leave it to local deselection.

As i say though lets wait and see what happens. There's still a chance that it doesn't come to pass, I like to think the best of people until they prove otherwise. 

Edited by Londonwell

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Of course it does.

She will play this as a vote for her deal - only a moron would say otherwise.

She wants to go out with her deal passed - it will than be the hard Brexiters driving the agenda because it will be one of them as next PM.

This doesn't pass her deal. Nowhere near.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

My comment made no reference to indy being good or bad, just the point that the SNP continually make the threat of indyref2 but won't pull the trigger as they know it will not get a majority at the moment.

My point is a shot at the continual 'Scotland won't stand for it, we'll have independence (despite there being no date or even a result)'.  It's assumed by the SNP that Scotland would vote Yes.

As I've stated many times before I voted Yes in indyref1.

NS has confirmed on umpteen occasions that she's waiting to see the outcome of the Brexit negotiations and how it affects Scotland before deciding how to proceed, which is exactly what you would expect her to do.

Going by the EU ref results within Scotland, then one could quite understandably assume that taking Scotland out of Europe against the "will of the people" would indeed lead to an upsurge in support for independence within the country, especially as the original Scottish Ref was fought by the Unionists on the back of "remaining" within the EU.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Only if one of them comes first or second in the MPs ballot. Most of them hate Boris.

This doesn't pass her deal. Nowhere near.
Read what I said - they will play this to the public that there is support for her deal - it's hugely important in terms of political propaganda.

It also, quite bluntly, puts an end to any possibility of Remain and IMHO makes any soft Brexit more difficult to achieve because we will have a hard Brexiter in charge after she goes.

Read what I said - they will play this to the public that there is support for her deal - it's hugely important in terms of political propaganda.

It also, quite bluntly, puts an end to any possibility of Remain and IMHO makes any soft Brexit more difficult to achieve because we will have a hard Brexiter in charge after she goes.

It's not legally binding whatsoever, it doesn't stop Remain or any other outcome. It's just a procedure to extend the extension and will need another vote to become law.

Labour MPs in Leave constituencies having second thoughts about switching - it's been made clear from various sources that they could be facilitating a Hard Brexit.

Having looked at various potential switcher MPs twitters that seems to be the messages they are getting - many of their regular followers/supportes are urging them not to do it.

One (not Johnson) will make it to the members ballot - if they do they'll win.

My money would be on Gove or Raab.

I'm hoping some tactical voting could keep them off the members ballot. Raab's a vacuous dickhead though, might be good to have him as Tory leader in a GE.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

If you listen carefully glimmers of Scottish come through. I find that kind of ashamed-to-be-Scottish accent really hard to get past and listen to the substance of what someone is saying.

See also Jackie Baillie, Fraser Nelson, Alex Massie.

TBF some people's accent changes quickly if they move. A mate of mine moved to London as a kid and he still sounds as Scottish as ever, his sister about the same age sounds like a cockney.