Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You think Swinson, with her track record, has?  You think she’s the one who should be deciding who should be a caretaker PM?

Corbyn, who opposes, the Tories has more credibility than someone who sat in government with them whilst breaking their manifesto pledges.

Swinson has zero credibility. Agreed. That doesn't by default endow Corbyn with credibility. 

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Swinson has zero credibility. Agreed. That doesn't by default endow Corbyn with credibility. 

He has more credibility than any of the other names being floated.  What people must realise is that we are not in an ideal situation; Corbyn as caretaker PM for a few weeks in order to get an extension and call a GE is the least worst option.

Two important points:

1.  Before being installed there would need to be a clear undertaking as to the life and purpose of the interim government.  This should be clearly spelt out and any deviation would mean he wouldn’t last long.

2.  Even if he’s only in office for a few weeks he will need to have a Cabinet.  That could (should) include SNP, Lib Dem and others; if he doesn’t agree to that then he doesn’t deserve support.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

He has more credibility than any of the other names being floated.  What people must realise is that we are not in an ideal situation; Corbyn as caretaker PM for a few weeks in order to get an extension and call a GE is the least worst option.

Two important points:

1.  Before being installed there would need to be a clear undertaking as to the life and purpose of the interim government.  This should be clearly spelt out and any deviation would mean he wouldn’t last long.

2.  Even if he’s only in office for a few weeks he will need to have a Cabinet.  That could (should) include SNP, Lib Dem and others; if he doesn’t agree to that then he doesn’t deserve support.

He's been Leader of the Labour Party since the Referendum. Actually, he was the Leader before the  Referendum. He's slowly but surely working his way up to top gear, but it's been painful to watch.

Then again, according to popular belief, he doesn't want the UK to be in the EU.  So his inertia is excusable I suppose. 

The point I was trying to make about his credibility, is that there is no way a Middle England electorate will tolerate him as PM.  The Mail/Express/Telegraph have made their opinions known. 

Even as a temporary PM it sounds a little far fetched. 

Which means the elected MP's from Middle England will give him no support whatsoever, despite the priority being the good of the country. 

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Sorry, I missed these when they first appeared. Fantastic entertainment.

Christ, everbody's having a laugh and getting in on the Brexit joke. That's Robert Webb with a moustache. 

hqdefault-2.jpg

Edited by The Skelpit Lug
Sp.

The last time there was a government of National Unity was the second world war. On that occasional Neville Chamberlain was deposed as a weak appeaser.  He was not going to be replace by Clement Attlee.  Instead Churchill took over because he was the one Tory that the opposition and especially the Labour Party would accept. They may have disagreed with him on lots of thing but on the one big issue they did agree. He hated the Nazis and so did they.  This time round Corbyn is seen as the weak appeaser of Brexit if not an out and out supporter.  I can understand the distrust there.

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

The last time there was a government of National Unity was the second world war. On that occasional Neville Chamberlain was deposed as a weak appeaser.  He was not going to be replace by Clement Attlee.  Instead Churchill took over because he was the one Tory that the opposition and especially the Labour Party would accept. They may have disagreed with him on lots of thing but on the one big issue they did agree. He hated the Nazis and so did they.  This time round Corbyn is seen as the weak appeaser of Brexit if not an out and out supporter.  I can understand the distrust there.

There is no obvious choice for this role; that is why Corbyn is as good a choice as anyone and better than most.

Why should Labour MPs support Clark?  Why should genuine Labour MPs (i.e. those who don’t wish that Blair was back in power) support Hartman?

People seem to want to ignore the severe restrictions that will be placed on a caretaker PM and use that as an excuse to not support Corbyn.   However if Swinson, Grieve et al facilitate a No Deal Brexit then hell mend them.

Edited by Granny Danger

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Its an odd call to go with the constituency Leave vote. 67.7% fundamentally disagree with us on the single issue we stand for

It’s not the constituency vote either, it’s the local authority within which all or part of the constituency sits.

I've seen Corbyn described over the last three years as pro, anti, muddled, or whatever suits the speaker's personal agenda.

Now, don't get me wrong,I realise that not all hold him in the same regard as I and the majority of party members do - but look at the alternative,ffs!

There are still people out there, and I'm sure we've all spoken to them, who blame his actions for the situation we're in now - while simultaneously blaming him for not doing enough to avoid the situation we're in.

When Swinson says he cannot command a majority, she conveniently ignores that he is a good couple of hundred votes further towards that goal than her party, which holds less seats than independent MPs - and two of those weren't elected on the Lib Dem ticket.

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

When Swinson says he cannot command a majority, she conveniently ignores that he is a good couple of hundred votes further towards that goal than her party,

The Conservatives are the largest party in the House and a significant portion of them, including many loud Brexiters are anti No Deal.

For the Labour Party, Corbyns pouting demand to be made PM can backfire and make him look stroppy and ineffective if the Tories can muster a large enough group behind a plan to block Boris that would not involve Corbyn getting to be PM. They will see this as a huge open goal for them to play act the "in the national interest" card for the electorate. 

While you and other waffle about Swinson, the real power brokers in the House are likely horse trading right now. Where Corbyns team should have been fore breaking cover with his bid for No 10. :rolleyes: 

The Conservatives are the largest party in the House and a significant portion of them, including many loud Brexiters are anti No Deal.
For the Labour Party, Corbyns pouting demand to be made PM can backfire and make him look stroppy and ineffective if the Tories can muster a large enough group behind a plan to block Boris that would not involve Corbyn getting to be PM. They will see this as a huge open goal for them to play act the "in the national interest" card for the electorate. 
While you and other waffle about Swinson, the real power brokers in the House are likely horse trading right now. Where Corbyns team should have been fore breaking cover with his bid for No 10. :rolleyes: 

Agreed, if there's an alternative anti no deal conservative govt option there - but there isn't.

Corbyn has made a move. People criticised him doing nothing, and now he's done something. Swinson is the one who looks petty and weak (and she's been practically called that by Lucas and sturgeon).