Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She'll be quite rightly looking for some fudge on freedom of movement that they can offer Europe while still sounding tough to the xenophobes.

I doubt very much if it will appease all, or any of those who have shown such a willingness to involve themselves in so called "hate crimes" (up by 100% in some areas) since the vote for brexit.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

26 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

the same budget airlines that are now being told to move to an EU headquarters along with the majority of their shareholders if they wish to continue flying in the EU?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/22/uk-based-airlines-told-to-move-to-europe-after-brexit-or-lose-major-routes

this is just one of the fiendishly complicated issues that will have to be unpicked and resolved satisfacorily before any final leave deal can be confirmed. And the "Brexit secretary" appears not to have a clue what to do about it or even to have considered it in any detail- because hard-right Brexiteers are utterly deluded about Britain's place in the world and ignorant as to how to get the fantasy deals they promised everyone in the referendum. 

pipe down.

Britain has its own bargaining chip. If the EU plays the ownership game, the UK has retaliatory options, e.g. on grandfather rights at UK airports. BA would love to get its hands on the European airlines' slots at Heathrow. Flybe recently started operating out of Heathrow to Edinburgh and Aberdeen. It would love to expand its Heathrow operations to European cities.

There are a lots of issues that need to be resolved. In the end, it comes down to attitude. If the EU wants to be spiteful and protectionist, it will pay a heavy price. Under WTO rules, it can't discriminate against any particular country such as Britain. So much for the four freedoms!

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Britain has its own bargaining chip. If the EU plays the ownership game, the UK has retaliatory options, e.g. on grandfather rights at UK airports. BA would love to get its hands on the European airlines' slots at Heathrow. Flybe recently started operating out of Heathrow to Edinburgh and Aberdeen. It would love to expand its Heathrow operations to European cities.

There are a lots of issues that need to be resolved. In the end, it comes down to attitude. If the EU wants to be spiteful and protectionist, it will pay a heavy price. Under WTO rules, it can't discriminate against any particular country such as Britain. So much for the four freedoms!

Just lol

1 minute ago, HTG said:

Just lol

Is that all you can offer? 

The Spanish government gave huge tax breaks to its airport operators to buy and invest in UK airports.

Then there is the huge European investment (e.g. German, French, Italian) in Britain's rail industry, both passenger and freight.

Britain could force divestment if the EU plays the discriminatory ownership game on airlines.

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Is that all you can offer? 

The Spanish government gave huge tax breaks to its airport operators to buy and invest in UK airports.

Then there is the huge European investment (e.g. German, French, Italian) in Britain's rail industry, both passenger and freight.

Britain could force divestment if the EU plays the discriminatory ownership game on airlines.

It's all I need. This is an absolute farce. We'll end up with free movement, raging racists, massive sweeteners to big business, additional costs for all the poor sods that will need to pay for it and absolutely f**k all will have been achieved. Britain couldn't force my back fucking doors. 

16 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Do you really think so?

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

..nor did they vote for falling income, the decimation of British manufacturing (copy right Patrick Minford)...do you really think Renault Group will keep Vauxhall plants open in England rather than Opel plants open in Germany?

when this shit starts to bite many deluded people will realise that "sovereignty" won't buy the weekly shopping. It's not even started yet.

Barnier and Verhofstadt vs. Boris, May and Davis is the diplomatic equivalent of a world cup qualifier between Germany against Liechtenstein, in Berlin. An embarrassing mismatch.

:huh:

57 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

..nor did they vote for falling income, the decimation of British manufacturing (copy right Patrick Minford)...do you really think Renault Group will keep Vauxhall plants open in England rather than Opel plants open in Germany?

when this shit starts to bite many deluded people will realise that "sovereignty" won't buy the weekly shopping. It's not even started yet.

Barnier and Verhofstadt vs. Boris, May and Davis is the diplomatic equivalent of a world cup qualifier between Germany against Liechtenstein, in Berlin. An embarrassing mismatch.

GM had been planning to sell its European operations, with their huge losses (over $15 billion since 2000), long before Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/14/general-motors-sell-vauxhall-opel-psa-citreon-peugeot

"Since 2012, General Motors and PSA Group have been implementing an alliance covering, to date, three projects in Europe and generating substantial synergies for the two groups."

There's good news today that could help Vauxhall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39500576

"March was the best month to date for UK car registrations, according to the car industry trade body. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said 562,337 new cars were registered in March, up 8.4% on the same month last year."

But no doubt bad news for the Brexit doom-mongers!

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

GM had been planning to sell its European operations, with their huge losses (over $15 billion since 2000), long before Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/14/general-motors-sell-vauxhall-opel-psa-citreon-peugeot

"Since 2012, General Motors and PSA Group have been implementing an alliance covering, to date, three projects in Europe and generating substantial synergies for the two groups."

There's good news today that could help Vauxhall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39500576

"March was the best month to date for UK car registrations, according to the car industry trade body. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said 562,337 new cars were registered in March, up 8.4% on the same month last year."

But no doubt bad news for the Brexit doom-mongers!

The fact that GM had been planning on selling Opel and Vauxhall pre-Brexit is irrelevant. What matters is that it sold it to a company in the EU, which we are shortly to leave, that massively undermines any chance Vauxhall has of keeping it's operation going if it comes down to a straight up crap shoot between the Vauxhall  and Opel plants.

I take it I missed the moment that Bishop Briggs finally gave up pretending to be a Yes voter for some bizarre reason?

Why do so many of them do this? Who can forget the wee gang of apparent SNP voters (now mostly banned or self-exiled sadly) who came on here every day for years to seethe about the SNP. I just don't get it.

10 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I take it I missed the moment that Bishop Briggs finally gave up pretending to be a Yes voter for some bizarre reason?

Why do so many of them do this? Who can forget the wee gang of apparent SNP voters (now mostly banned or self-exiled sadly) who came on here every day for years to seethe about the SNP. I just don't get it.

This is why.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

What on earth are you on about? I support real independence, like a third of SNP voters, from both the UK and the EU.

The big question is who speaks for those SNP voters who also support Brexit? At the moment, it's only Jim Sillars.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

What on earth are you on about? I support real independence, like a third of SNP voters, from both the UK and the EU.

The big question is who speaks for those SNP voters who also support Brexit? At the moment, it's only Jim Sillars.

If push came to shove and all that, what is more desirable; out of UK or out of EU?