Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Jeremy Corbyn on the Andrew marr show saying that leaving the EU means we must leave the single market.

Has anyone told Norway, Iceland or Switzerland this?

Is he blatantly lying? Misinformed?

Without being 'technically' right he is correct on this one. EFTA style arrangements wouldn't be satisfactory for the people that voted to leave, no matter how much we are told it wasn't all about immigration.

1 hour ago, WILLIEA said:

In his mind it's 1850. They haven't been formed yet!

1 hour ago, Tynieness said:

I don't know why is Ireland good but France and Germany bad?

You lot are a nightmare.

France and Germany per se aren't bad but The way the French and Germans  political class have been salivating over the prospect of the  demise of London as the dominant financial centre in Europe and looking to feast of it's bones before it has even died shows you what poor allies they are.

Dublin on the other hand has not , as far as I'm aware,  shown the same envious, covetous behaviour.

We know that Financial Institutions will need a base on EU soil to operate there and I would be happier if that were in the Irish Republic. 

You may feel different. There really is no right or wrong preference on this.

37 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Without being 'technically' right he is correct on this one. EFTA style arrangements wouldn't be satisfactory for the people that voted to leave, no matter how much we are told it wasn't all about immigration.

There is nothing wrong with having concerns about immigration. Especially if you are in that large , disenfranchised group that has , for decades,had mass, unskilled , poorly managed  immigration imposed on you and are not benefiting and may , in fact, be losing out.

Any Brexit that continues to allow free movement of people into the UK is unacceptable.  

Immigration needs to be managed.......

Just now, McSpreader said:

There is nothing wrong with having concerns about immigration. Especially if you are in that large , disenfranchised group that has , for decades,had mass, unskilled , poorly managed  immigration imposed on you and are not benefiting and may , in fact, be losing out.

Any Brexit that continues to allow free movement of people into the UK is unacceptable.  

You don't want Scotland to manage immigration.

Just now, McSpreader said:

We didn't need a Brexit vote to manage it.

Just now, Antlion said:

You don't want Scotland to manage immigration.

Yes, I agree there might be a case for Scotland to develop a regional arrangement. That would be good for  bothScotland and the EU but my preference would be to have an element of control......like a tap. Turn on/off when needed.

But Sturgeon needs to engage in these negotiations , not bark from the sidelines.

4 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I know.....but no Gov't was willing to listen to the electorate's rising concerns about the  effects of unfettered immigration and just allowed mass movement to continue unabated.

We are in this mess because of the timidity of UK politicians not prepared to use the controls available to them. Probably because they were frightened of the backlash from the liberal chattering classes. 

Also, a lot of rUK Leavers confused World immigration/asylum and EU immigration as one connected issue.......to them it was!

The bigger backlash came from the silent majority......Brexit!

I'm just saying how it is! 

8 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Quite. We allow more immigration from outside the EU where we have full control than we do under free movement from the EU.

Strong controls on immigration drive down wages because those whose residency is legally precarious are much less likely to challenge employers who exploit them. There are people who're legitimately concerned about immigration but there are no legitimate concerns about immigration.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Strong controls on immigration drive down wages because those whose residency is legally precarious are much less likely to challenge employers who exploit them. There are people who're legitimately concerned about immigration but there are no legitimate concerns about immigration.

You're right up to a point. Immigration itself isn't bad or wrong and no country in the modern world could ever hope to prosper without immigration. 

However, there are some legitimate concerns about immigration. 

The way it can benefit some regions disproportionately. If the influx of people into places isn't carefully managed by local authorities. Schools are some of the worst affected institutions from large influxes of foreign kids. Class sizes increase, there are language problems etc. 

Your point about wages is difficult to envisage. An influx of foreign workers allows employers to thin out 'indigenous' ( for want of a better word) employees and discard hard fought for pay agreements, side-line trade unions, impose unfair contracts.  New immigrants rarely challenge employees whether their status is guaranteed or not.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Jeremy Corbyn on the Andrew marr show saying that leaving the EU means we must leave the single market.

Has anyone told Norway, Iceland or Switzerland this?

Is he blatantly lying? Misinformed?

Those countries accept FoM. If we are not willing to accept FoM, we cannot stay in the SM. Going by Labour's most recent manifesto, Corbyn has elected to prioritise ending FoM over remaining in the SM.

I wouldn't say that he is blatantly lying or misinformed (although I haven't seen this interview), but he is wilfully positioning himself on the wrong side of history - and he is placing Labour's short-term political interests ahead of the longer term interests of the country. Labour's position on Brexit is, regrettably, really not much - if any - better than the Tories' at this moment in time. 

You lot are a nightmare.
France and Germany per se aren't bad but The way the French and Germans  political class have been salivating over the prospect of the  demise of London as the dominant financial centre in Europe and looking to feast of it's bones before it has even died shows you what poor allies they are.
Dublin on the other hand has not , as far as I'm aware,  shown the same envious, covetous behaviour.
We know that Financial Institutions will need a base on EU soil to operate there and I would be happier if that were in the Irish Republic. 
You may feel different. There really is no right or wrong preference on this.

The Irish government and Dublin City Council are actively courting London based financial service providers. Just like Frankfurt and Paris and Madrid.

How dare the governments of these other countries look to benefit from our decision to leave the EU?  It's disgraceful.

It's the actions of these bloody foreigners that justifies leaving the EU.  We should reverse our decision and keep the jobs; that would bloody well show them!

You're right up to a point. Immigration itself isn't bad or wrong and no country in the modern world could ever hope to prosper without immigration. 
However, there are some legitimate concerns about immigration. 
The way it can benefit some regions disproportionately. If the influx of people into places isn't carefully managed by local authorities. Schools are some of the worst affected institutions from large influxes of foreign kids. Class sizes increase, there are language problems etc. 
Your point about wages is difficult to envisage. An influx of foreign workers allows employers to thin out 'indigenous' ( for want of a better word) employees and discard hard fought for pay agreements, side-line trade unions, impose unfair contracts.  New immigrants rarely challenge employees whether their status is guaranteed or not.

That's not the fault of immigration but a failure of the government to provide adequate investment in public services which is further hampered by this government's ideologically driven austerity program. And I'd be interested to see the evidence that new immigrant won't challenge employees but even then, stringent laws that require people to have jobs to remain in the country *might* influence someones willingness to rock the boat just as much as someone being here illegally might do the same.

He's not correct. You can remain in the single market and it's a legitimate position to take. I understand there will be people unhappy as imo the free movement of people is what the majority of leave voters are against.

I just don't get corbyns position. He assured everyone that he wanted a remain vote and now he wants a hard brexit.

What a shambles we're in just now. I fear it's only going to get worse as well.