Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, Consolidate said:

These developments simply add more weight to the argument that there should never have been a referendum in the first place.

Offering an EU vote as a bribe in return for a majority was careless at best but to do it when the majority of the country's elected representatives actively support remaining was beyond the pale. I hope the fall out goes a long way to destroying the modern Conservative Party. 

Only if you disagree with the outcome.  On the basis that the main political parties were in favour of the EU then perhaps we need an increased amount of referendums as we don't have the political structure in the UK to represent the electorate in a proportionate manner.  Let's follow the Swiss model of legislative referendums.

1 hour ago, zidane's child said:

I don't think a 2nd EU ref would happen, but it would be interesting to know what the outcome would be this time given the increased media coverage it's had since June and the political/economical fallout that we've also witnessed.

Some leave voters may wish to change their vote given they may be more informed on what EU membership actually involves and not basing your decision on a big red bus with Gove, Johnson and Farage onboard.

Despite voting the other way, I hope there isn't a second vote. It'd be interesting to see how people's votes changed, right enough - holiday money becoming more expensive is probably enough for some, but I imagine we'd get the same outcome. The only justification for another vote is if May calls an election and an opposition party/parties campaign on the basis of a second vote, winning a majority of seats. 

May should've accepted the court's outcome today and put it to vote - MPs are the only people who have the power to block leaving the EU (pr at least starting the process), so give them the choice whether to do it or not. They are answerable to their constituents for their actions after all, so let them decided where their loyalties lie. If parliament blocks it, time for an election. 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Only if you disagree with the outcome.  On the basis that the main political parties were in favour of the EU then perhaps we need an increased amount of referendums as we don't have the political structure in the UK to represent the electorate in a proportionate manner.  Let's follow the Swiss model of legislative referendums.

No, forget more referendums and consider changing the political structure for more effective and proportionate representation. 

We're wading knee deep in a fucking constitutional quagmire right now, one entirely of our own making. 

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I thought the Brexit vote was meant to take us back to a better time? A time when fencers kept themselves to themselves and weren't pushing their fencing agenda in our faces the entire time.

It looks like the lefty PC brigade have won again. :(

I thought it was so the British law could take back control from the eu and that happens and they are not happy

On another note if anybody has any elderly relatives i would suggest a brief visit or phone call as this ruling and poppygate might have sent them over the edge

2 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

No, forget more referendums and consider changing the political structure for more effective and proportionate representation. 

We're wading knee deep in a fucking constitutional quagmire right now, one entirely of our own making. 

Turkeys and Christmas.

If today's ruling is upheld on appeal it is an open goal for those oppossed to any type of Brexit, the interesting thing will be to see if politician's on different sides will be willing to work together to achieve a common goal.

There will be huge pressure on Labour MP's representing constituencies in the Midlands and the North; I wonder if they will put the perceived greater good ahead of their own political ambitions?

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

She'll  do it in such a way that she'll keep kicking the can down the road. So after March comes and goes, she'll say it will be triggered after the German elections. That'll come and go and then she'll say it would be unwise to leave the EU in the run up to a uk general election or something.

If Article 50 isn't triggered by the next GE UKIP or similar will receive 45%+ of the vote similar to the seismic change Scottish politics has underwent.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

Turkeys and Christmas.

Glib.

We elect MPs who should be perfectly capable of representing us and making decisions on our behalf. If we don't like the decisions they make then we have the ballot box as a means of booting them out.

Referendums are tools for bribery, which are now, we understand, largely meaningless given power sits with parliament anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

They don't make decisions on our behalf they're supposed to represent our views.  The UK voted leave so it's leave or complete meltdown,  constitutional crisis,  political careers ended all over the place and massive damage to UK democracy, if you can call it that.

You don't understand the concept of parliamentary democracy!

May I suggest La Democrtie Pour Les Nuls? ( Also available in English )

you don't understand the principle of democracy full stop.  If the entire populace in unprecedented numbers have expressed a view on an issue it I fundamentally undemocratic to the point of irrevocably damaging our entire democracy for our elected representatives to overturn that decision. wait and see what happens if they do that.

22 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

You don't understand the concept of parliamentary democracy!

May I suggest La Democrtie Pour Les Nuls? ( Also available in English )

Well, that's a relief. Poxy foreigners with their damn stupid refusal to write in English...

33 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

They don't make decisions on our behalf they're supposed to represent our views.  

Wrong. They state their positions and if enough people vote for them they make decisions on our behalf. 

38 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Glib.

We elect MPs who should be perfectly capable of representing us and making decisions on our behalf. If we don't like the decisions they make then we have the ballot box as a means of booting them out.

Referendums are tools for bribery, which are now, we understand, largely meaningless given power sits with parliament anyway. 

Only if there is a party with "a leave the EU" policy for whom to vote. (If leaving the EU is the decision you want and your MP has voted to stay.) If there is no UKIP (or similar) to vote for you're left with the rest of the parties who all want to remain.

Welshbairn not in the case of a referendum such as this.  Parliament became sovereign after harles 1, the point was parliament is sovereign not the monarch,  as parliament represents the people.   If parliament was to defy the clearly expressed views of the people making parliament and the people in opposite camps you'd have a constitutions crisis the likes of which has not been seen in 400 years.   Complete meltdown.   It can't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Only if there is a party with "a leave the EU" policy for whom to vote. (If leaving the EU is the decision you want and your MP has voted to stay.) If there is no UKIP (or similar) to vote for you're left with the rest of the parties who all want to remain.

Then vote for UKIP