Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

3 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

What people are proposing here is the same as if on September 19th 2014 the snp ad said we lost the referendum but are going to become independent anyway.   Which,  as well as being the complete opposite of democracy,  would have lead to the fall of the snp government,  possibly dissolution of the Scottish parliament,  and probable violence on the streets.

What people are also proposing with another referendum is like yes wining in 2014,  spending two years negotiating the terms of independence then having another referendum on that deal.  Nonsensical,  the UK government have a mandate and instruction from the public to leave the eu,  nothing more, nothing less.  To do anything else is flagrantly undemocratic. 

No it isnt.  The independence referendum was governed by the Edinburgh Agreement and a subsequent order which granted constitutional legitimacy to the result.  The EU referendum had no such status conferred on it.

Edited by Aladdin

Grant the vote, if every MP goes with the wishes of their constituents (as they should) then the result stands and we move on, however difficult and unpalatable that may be. Still think it was a crazy decision, but the UK ballot box has to rule above all, whether you voted exit or remain.

20 minutes ago, strichener said:

I have no problem with a parliamentary vote on the deal. Parliament having to vote to start the process in nonsensical.

Do you think we should have another referendum on the deal?

There are two separate issues here.

The first is the legal one; it has been determined that the Government does not have the right to trigger Article 50 without Parliamentary approval.  I don't know enough about the complexities of the law to know if this is a fair ruling or not but if it's upheld by the Supreme Court I would be willing to recognise that it is.  I would also support the view that the Government cannot ignore a judicial interpretation of the law, I would hope all of us would agree on that.

The second issue is the role of MP's if the ruling is upheld.  If the opportunity is presented surely it makes sense for MPs to agree a framework for withdrawal.  That way uncertainty could be minimised and a level of direction that has been sadly missing throughout the process to date could be put in place.

Even if you think MPs are bound to deliver Article 50 at any cost there was nothing in the Referendum indicating a timescale.

If anybody thinks that the government doesn't yet have sufficient plans in place to make Article 50 a success then they'd be wrong to vote yes.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

But does lizzy not by law have the final say. Ie if an appeal went from supreme.
I know she won't get involved in all that but does she have that power?

If she has and she uses it she can start househunting!

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

But does lizzy not by law have the final say. Ie if an appeal went from supreme.
I know she won't get involved in all that but does she have that power?

Presuming that this is a serious question - technically the Royal prerogative  being used to trigger Article 50 was what was being appealed against.  The executive advise the Queen that an act is to be carried out without the consent of Parliament.

The best thing about Brexit being cancelled would not be the extra security, stronger pound, freedom of movement or even the many jobs that would be saved. Nope.

The best thing about Brexit being cancelled would be this chap's reaction.

https://twitter.com/WantEnglandBack