Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

EU budget Commisioner says the EU will allow Macron to boost spending for one year as long as he continues to destroy worker's rights.

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron-lost-authority-after-caving-to-yellow-jackets-says-oettinger-brexit-eu-budget/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The EU will accept a French budget deficit above the EU’s 3 percent ceiling in 2018 “as a one-time exception,” Budget Commissioner Günther Oettinger said in an interview published Thursday.

Oettinger told the Funke media group of German newspapers that French President Emmanuel Macron had “lost authority with his budget for 2019” by upping his spending in response to the Yellow Jackets protests, “but he remains a strong supporter of the European Union.”

Brussels reviewed the French budget several weeks ago and won’t be revisiting it, Oettinger added. “It crucial now that Macron continues his reform agenda, especially in the labor market, and that France remains on its growth track. Under this condition, we will tolerate a national debt higher than 3 percent as a one-time exception. However, it must not continue beyond 2019.”

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Also, some of your recent replies suggest paranoia and conspiracy similar to North Korea and Enver Hoxha's Albania.
Jeremy Corbyn is supposedly one of two people who could be Prime Minister at the next election and yet he was easily outmanuevred by Jack Straw's son.
Good luck as PM combatting Trump, Putin, Xi Jinping, Kim Jung-un - and the EU as well.

If you control the media you control public perception. There is clearly a coordinated media campaign going on against Corbyn. The Integrity Initiative expose proved that definitively.

The Telegraph reported during the Brexit campaign that a leadership challenge was being cooked up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/revealed-plot-to-oust-jeremy-corbyn-by-using-veteran-labour-mp-m/

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If you control the media you control public perception. There is clearly a coordinated media campaign going on against Corbyn. The Integrity Initiative expose proved that definitively.

The Telegraph reported during the Brexit campaign that a leadership challenge was being cooked up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/revealed-plot-to-oust-jeremy-corbyn-by-using-veteran-labour-mp-m/

I totally agree with you on that but if he did not realise that was part of the job then he should not have accepted the role.  Resorting to claims of conspiracy is never going to lead to success.  Believe me, I probably agree with him on a lot of things but I think he is his own worse enemy.  He comes across as dogmatic at a time when it is hopelessly inappropriate.

I would say it's vital to be dogmatic at the moment.

Nothing less than major government intervention is going to slow down widening inequality never mind reversing it. Labour needs a leader who can handle constant attacks when implementing redistributive policies. Corbyn has shown he is not going to back down.

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I would say it's vital to be dogmatic at the moment.

Nothing less than major government intervention is going to slow down widening inequality never mind reversing it. Labour needs a leader who can handle constant attacks when implementing redistributive policies. Corbyn has shown he is not going to back down.

Corbyn hasn't got a chance of forcing an election or winning one whilst his Brexit policy is identical to May's, except for an extra red line of no restraints on State subsidies to industry on top of no freedom of movement or rule taking. So his other admirable social and economic policies will be kept for chatting about amongst the Islington intelligentsia.

During the campaing he was clear he was a luke warm remainer. Since then he has been clear in the manifesto, at the conference and last week in his interview where stated Brexit would still go ahead under a Labour government which caused the current middle class media tantrum.
What would you have had him do during the campaign? The Remain campaign was run by Jack Straw's son who purposefully excluded him in a precursor to the pre planned leadership challenge (which was happening regardless of the result).
He showed f**k all leadership during that campaign - it was his job to lead - not the Remain campaign - but Labour's part in that campaign.

Corbyn hasn't got a chance of forcing an election or winning one whilst his Brexit policy is identical to May's, except for an extra red line of no restraints on State subsidies to industry on top of no freedom of movement or rule taking. So his other admirable social and economic policies will be kept for chatting about amongst the Islington intelligentsia.

That just sounds more like what you want to him to do than what he should do tbh. Which is fine but at least admit that.

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So his other admirable social and economic policies will be kept for chatting about amongst the Islington intelligentsia.

I don't think so.

English schools, hospitals, social services and prisons are in meltdown. Councils are going bankrupt. Universal Credit is kicking in. Ordinary people all over the UK feel that.

40 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That just sounds more like what you want to him to do than what he should do tbh. Which is fine but at least admit that.

Not really. If he can't get Tory remainers onside he has zero chance of forcing an election.

Edited by welshbairn

I don't think so.
English schools, hospitals, social services and prisons are in meltdown. Councils are going bankrupt. Universal Credit is kicking in. Ordinary people all over the UK feel that.
And yet Labour are still behind in the polls, that tells you something.

17 minutes ago, jakedee said:
27 minutes ago, Detournement said:
I don't think so.

And polls indicating they could end up third behind the lib dems, but I find that hard to believe. The only coherent strategy I can scrape out is allowing a  slide to hard brexit while somehow shirking off the blame, and picking up brownie points for the 2022 General Election.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:
12 minutes ago, Detournement said:
I don't think so.

As the 2017 election showed polls are a load of shite.

On 12/24/2018 at 19:56, Fullerene said:

Actually I agree. 

In fact, if we had replaced all the unelected editors of the Sun, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express a long time ago, we would probably never have had this mess in the first place.

The people who buy  these papers do so because they agree with what they publish.  They reflect their views. The said newspapers churn out shite to appease them. The said newspapers sell in large quantities and are read, and agreed with.  What difference would different editors make? 

On 12/26/2018 at 08:31, Granny Danger said:

This reinforces all the polls that show there has been a significant change of view towards Brexit now that the likely implications are clearer.

Despite all the rhetoric, if the Tories push ahead with withdrawal they are doing so in the knowledge that it is no longer the default position for the majority.  Government by the minority for their minority interests has been a feature of U.K. politics for decades thanks to the flawed FPTP system at Westminster.

Another case rested. FPTP is flawed. But whatever Government that happens to be in power is welded by the balls to FPTP.  It's not going to change any time soon. I'd love to be proved wrong, but change in Westminster has to come from within. Dream on. 

22 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

1) The UK isn't a democracy. Currently, only 650 of the UK parliament are elected. A further 793 are unelected, and all acts are officially brought into law by another unelected "sovereign"

2) The UK is part of Europe. It can't vote to leave a geographic entity. The referendum was about staying in or leaving the EU.

3) At the very least, there is a philosophical argument that there is no God, and the various belief systems all appear to have contradictions when you compare them. Which God are you asking us to thank?

Apart from these three major flaws, I think you have the basis of a great post there. Why not work on it?

Hat's off to you for at least trying to engage him in a debate.

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

And how exactly is he going to do that?  He's a dinosaur as far as they're concerned. 

I just meant by him still wanting Brexit and pushing ahead with it if he was in government.

That will appeal to the gammon types who want blue passports and our own trade deals etc etc.