Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Genuine answer, no not that I’m aware of, just a feeling.
Work takes me down south at least a couple of times a month. Talking to customers and suppliers or just having a chat in the pub, I seem to hear a recurring opinion that we’re going in the wrong direction. Also that given Parliament’s inability to resolve the problems associated with leaving and their consequences, perhaps we should have a serious rethink. Yes it would be a risk for Labour to change position, but I don’t think that towing the line will do them any favours if the sh*t hits the fan before the next GE.

I’m willing to believe that the Remainers who think a shift in policy will win Labour a landslide are just transplanting their own wishes on to the mood of the electorate. Not quite related but I find it laughable that the Guardian who were firmly behind the coup attempts are now demanding Corbyn listens to the membership. I’m serious when I say that British journalism needs to be completely replaced before it can be taken seriously again as they’re all discredited.

4 hours ago, Blue-Toon said:

Leave 17,410,742 votes - Remain 16,141,241 votes = 1,269,501 majority for Leave.

Where do you get the 600,000 figure from?

Yes. You are right.  Didn't check my facts before I printed them.

Maybe I can get a job at the Daily Mail now. 

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I’m willing to believe that the Remainers who think a shift in policy will win Labour a landslide are just transplanting their own wishes on to the mood of the electorate. Not quite related but I find it laughable that the Guardian who were firmly behind the coup attempts are now demanding Corbyn listens to the membership. I’m serious when I say that British journalism needs to be completely replaced before it can be taken seriously again as they’re all discredited.

Actually I agree. 

In fact, if we had replaced all the unelected editors of the Sun, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express a long time ago, we would probably never have had this mess in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Actually I agree. 

In fact, if we had replaced all the unelected editors of the Sun, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express a long time ago, we would probably never have had this mess in the first place.

Do you want to live on a totalitarian state?

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

TBF he was responding to this.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I’m serious when I say that British journalism needs to be completely replaced before it can be taken seriously again as they’re all discredited.

There has been something dire about the British media and Parliament when utter tosh has been driven about Europe for the last 30 years with hardly any voices countering it with anything positive, mainly by c***s like the Barclay twins, Murdoch, Rothermere and the swivel eyed end of the Tory party.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

TBF he was responding to this.

There has been something dire about the British media and Parliament when utter tosh has been driven about Europe for the last 30 years with hardly any voices countering it with anything positive, mainly by c***s like the Barclay twins, Murdoch, Rothermere and the swivel eyed end of the Tory party.

I know what he was responding to.  The ‘free’ British media is shit but the alternative is worse.  Some improved regulation might help but I’m wary of a Trumpian approach.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

stupid woman

The fourth estate are scandalously discredited and they are simply not doing their job.

Instead we've got a cohort of chancers that are destroying their profession and the equilibrium that we have cherished.

Click it, go on click the link. 

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

How is press ownership handled in somewhere like the Netherlands where trust in the press is very much higher than here?

They have a rational, enlightened approach, as they do with policing.

5 minutes ago, sophia said:

stupid woman

The fourth estate are scandalously discredited and they are simply not doing their job.

Instead we've got a cohort of chancers that are destroying their profession and the equilibrium that we have cherished.

This is what I was responding too.

“If we had replaced...”

I don’t disagree with your criticisms, I disagree with the above.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is what I was responding too.

“If we had replaced...”

I don’t disagree with your criticisms, I disagree with the above.

I think you're dancing on the head of a pin.

"We" can't replace the editors but I think it's fair to say that these pied pipers have led the shallow of thinking a merry dance.

The closeness of the politicians and the printers is a scandal and you know it.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Yikes.  I will rephrase.

"If it wasn't for the unelected editors of the Sun, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express, we would probably never have had this mess in the first place."

17 minutes ago, sophia said:

I think you're dancing on the head of a pin.

"We" can't replace the editors but I think it's fair to say that these pied pipers have led the shallow of thinking a merry dance.

The closeness of the politicians and the printers is a scandal and you know it.

The only way would be if "We" stopped buying these rags.  Fat chance. Too many of the "We" aren't  "Us".

(or "Me" really.)        

In my defence, drink has been taken. Merry Fraud to one and almost all.

Wasn’t even talking about the owners of the media but the fact that the media class is so overwhelmingly posh and public school educated. You want to talk about an echo chamber, look at who’s writing on a regular basis for The Times.

13 hours ago, sophia said:

stupid woman

I presume the editor of the National is doing a great job though?

Living down south unfortunately I don't get the same sort of response. It seems to be more of a "f*ck the EU, we won the war, let's leave and pay nothing" nonsense that prevails. Worrying.... 

Aye fair enough, I’ve met a few of ‘those’ too and not just down in England! eek