Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I can see the Corbynistas turning on him over the whole ‘we would still leave if I became PM’ thing.

Past Labour leaders compromised too often/too readily.  He won’t compromise at all.

The only trait he shares with his predecessors is the view that policy should be top down.

C*nt.

He seems to think he can get a General Election, win it and negotiate an entirely new withdrawal treaty by March 29th.

He seems to think he can get a General Election, win it and negotiate an entirely new withdrawal treaty by March 29th.

Isn’t the policy to request and extension to article 50?

It is quite funny to watch the Labour centrists and Tory Remainers lose their shit on a weekly basis over Labour having the same Brexit policy they’ve had for two years now. I would rather the country had remained and probably would vote Remain again in a hypothetical referendum but christ alive the current People’s Vote lot are making it difficult. I find it nauseating as well that the scumbags who wrecked havoc on the country over the past two decades and many of those responsible for the hostile environment can now position themselves as the champions of progressive causes over this. f**k them.

Air around this tastes different now. Normal folk are getting a bit more tuned in as d-day looms and they're surprised and upset at what they have heard. You could forgive people who are not politics nerds for not being clear on what Labour have been about.

Nah I totally agree but there’s a clear comparison to be made between the anti-Brexit figures over here and the #resistance across the pond in that both are chock full of people responsible for the shit that they’re opposed to and both would probably have greater success if they removed themselves from the limelight. I can’t imagine in any world that a second vote which is relying on the voices of John Major or Tony Blair has as much hope of succeeding as any which rightly told them to GTF.

12 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Very sinister, in that they do appear to be making genuine contingency plans for the event of a No deal.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I can see the Corbynistas turning on him over the whole ‘we would still leave if I became PM’ thing.

Past Labour leaders compromised too often/too readily.  He won’t compromise at all.

The only trait he shares with his predecessors is the view that policy should be top down.

C*nt.

Sometimes I think Jeremy Corbyn has the exact same view of the EU as Dennis Skinner, for example.

I bet there are times when he wishes he wasn't leader of the party and could then criticise the leadership for not getting us out quick enough.

He must be so frustrated that so many of his followers are more pro-EU than he is.

When are they going to realise his playbook is out of date and needs updating?

12 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Sometimes I think Jeremy Corbyn has the exact same view of the EU as Dennis Skinner, for example.

I bet there are times when he wishes he wasn't leader of the party and could then criticise the leadership for not getting us out quick enough.

He must be so frustrated that so many of his followers are more pro-EU than he is.

When are they going to realise his playbook is out of date and needs updating?

Surely the events of the last week must have confirmed to even the most swivel-eyed Corbynista that the guy has absolutely NO chance of ever forming a UK Government.  And in that case then whatever happens re Brexit, at the next GE the message to the Scottish electorate must be that  a vote for Labour is a complete and utter waste of time.  And even assuming that there is a palace coup to replace him in the interim then that electoral reality remains the same.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Surely the events of the last week must have confirmed to even the most swivel-eyed Corbynista that the guy has absolutely NO chance of ever forming a UK Government.  And in that case then whatever happens re Brexit, at the next GE the message to the Scottish electorate must be that  a vote for Labour is a complete and utter waste of time.  And even assuming that there is a palace coup to replace him in the interim then that electoral reality remains the same.

Given what has happened over the last few months and given the changing political mood, if Corbyn/Labour was to embrace a Remain position they would win an election in England and Wales.  Sadly that won’t happen.  

They would still struggle in Scotland as the SNP have held a consistent anti-Brexit position and have more credibility.

Assuming Brexit doesn’t happen, or only happens in its softest form, the issue could rip the Tory Party apart at the next election.  

The issue will not go away and members of Tory Party associations are far more hawkish on the subject than most of their MPs.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Isn’t the policy to request and extension to article 50?

He told the Guardian that he hopes to win an election, renegotiate with Brussels and leave on 29th March. He did say the timetable might have to change though. I don't see a policy, every spokesman comes out with a different strategy. Corbyn's got the same red lines as May except he wants out of state subsidy rules on top, so I don't see how he could get a better deal than May's. And he needs 70% of MP to vote for a GE, which I don't see happening unless it was the only way of blocking a hard brexit.

Given what has happened over the last few months and given the changing political mood, if Corbyn/Labour was to embrace a Remain position they would win an election in England and Wales.  Sadly that won’t happen.  
They would still struggle in Scotland as the SNP have held a consistent anti-Brexit position and have more credibility.
Assuming Brexit doesn’t happen, or only happens in its softest form, the issue could rip the Tory Party apart at the next election.  
The issue will not go away and members of Tory Party associations are far more hawkish on the subject than most of their MPs.

Hmmmm....in any coming nuclear winter only cockroaches, the Tory party and Tory cockroaches will survive. I would write them off at your peril.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Assuming Brexit doesn’t happen, or only happens in its softest form, the issue could rip the Tory Party apart at the next election

The Tory Party ( in England and Wales, that is )  is already ripped apart,

and they know that they're  ****ed for the next election.  

He told the Guardian that he hopes to win an election, renegotiate with Brussels and leave on 29th March. He did say the timetable might have to change though. I don't see a policy, every spokesman comes out with a different strategy. Corbyn's got the same red lines as May except he wants out of state subsidy rules on top, so I don't see how he could get a better deal than May's. And he needs 70% of MP to vote for a GE, which I don't see happening unless it was the only way of blocking a hard brexit.

The same red lines are presumably politicking to vote against any deal that comes to parliament. May’s banking on the Labour centrists to blink first over the deal but if that doesn’t happen then her choices are to go through with hard brexit, have another GE, or extend article 50. Listening to Pol Theory Other last week with James Butler and they seem to think she’ll choose the middle option as the former is a posture and the latter will cause a permanent division with the ERG and their ilk.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The same red lines are presumably politicking to vote against any deal that comes to parliament. May’s banking on the Labour centrists to blink first over the deal but if that doesn’t happen then her choices are to go through with hard brexit, have another GE, or extend article 50. Listening to Pol Theory Other last week with James Butler and they seem to think she’ll choose the middle option as the former is a posture and the latter will cause a permanent division with the ERG and their ilk.

I suspect her burning motivation is cutting immigration and she'd willingly let things slide to a hard brexit if she could, rather than risk an election.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I suspect her burning motivation is cutting immigration and she'd willingly let things slide to a hard brexit if she could, rather than risk an election.

I think stopping freedom of movement and securing her legacy are likely the most personally important things to her, aye. I still think she hopes that she will secure this deal through parliament simply by letting things slide closer. The best thing for indy, or a Labour government is a hard Brexit IMO. It'll damage the union/ the Tories for a long time you would imagine.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

I think stopping freedom of movement and securing her legacy are likely the most personally important things to her, aye. I still think she hopes that she will secure this deal through parliament simply by letting things slide closer. The best thing for indy, or a Labour government is a hard Brexit IMO. It'll damage the union/ the Tories for a long time you would imagine.

And the rest of us, at least in the short to medium term. It's all right for you millenials thinking it's a price worth paying, some of us might not have a long term. :babe2

If Corbyn really wanted the keys to number 10, he’d sack this whole Brexit farce and declare that “if we win, we in the Labour Party will support the retraction of A50 and remain in the EU’’. I think he’d win with a small majority but could then request the support of both the SNP and the LibDems to offer their broad support at Westminster. He might have to lose one of two of more dangerous and unelectable members of his current shadow cabinet. But honestly think he’d have a better chance of ousting the Tories following the above position.

If Corbyn really wanted the keys to number 10, he sack this whole Brexit farce and declare that “if we win, we in the Labour Party will support the retraction of A50 and remain in the EU’’. I think he’d win with a small majority but could then request the support of both the SNP and the LibDems to offer their broad support at Westminster. He might have to lose one of two of more dangerous and unelectable members of his current shadow cabinet. But honestly think he’d have a better chance of ousting the Tories following the above position.
This should be his policy. But, he doesn't believe in it. He has a bigger hard on for brexit than Mr Mogg