Any junior games moving there games for the celtic vs rangers game

Mathieson104

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

There's regular early kick offs throughout the season that clash with Junior games. But funnily enough only one is seeing Junior teams rearrange their games to allow their fans to view this particular game.

There are indeed. And there are countless posts on here about the impact of live tv on west games in particular. The east teams kick off half an hour later anyway for as long as they are able but if you trawl through here you'll see the number of people who would like to see the west put its kick off times back as a matter of course. 

And it's foolish to think that this game won't have more of an impact than a run of the mill lunchtime kick off - however unpalatable folk find the fawning to these 2 teams. 

Having been a Lok and Scotland fan all of my days and lived within a couple of miles of Ibrox all my days I can honestly say I have absolutely zero interest or liking for either side of the Old Firm.I have seen close up too often in Glasgow the poison,malice and negativity these sides and their "supporters"/followers bring to society and frankly I wish they would do us all a favour and disappear.

I can't identify with the having another club to support concept as the only club that matters to me and indeed many of the guys who I go to all Lok games with is Pollok.I certainly don't get the idea of hangers on in remote villages many miles from Glasgow portraying themselves as "fans" of the OF when they have local senior and junior sides to support.But the mindset of some kind of remote attachment to the supposed glamour and dominance of these teams must override anything else.Believe me Glasgow provides more than enough specimens who follow these sides without needing any others from distant unconnected villages.

The commercial reality however is an issue as some have said.It cannot be beyond the wit of man in the 21st century for junior fixtures to attempt to avoid clashing with major local or televised fixtures.Lok have the ludicrous scenario from time to time of playing at home in direct competition to Scotland internationals at Hampden a mile up the road.That is simply mind numbing.

The difference with the majority of people on here, is they'll probably b the same as me, I want rangers to win, others celtic, but it won't define our weekend or next week, it's a preference, and I know I wouldn't swap 3 pts for Kilsyth for a gers win, no way!!! Cos am a juniors man,like everyone on here, an after the result on Saturday in of. game it'll b forgot about by me, no matter who wins till the next one [emoji42]

Couldn't give a hoot about senior fitba in Scotland as its absolute dung but there are fans of my club that would like to watch the game & it means that we lose money on the gate by not moving it then it's a no brainer . Every penny is a prisoner at this level . Loving all the mightier than thou attitudes all the same

We've lost players to Scottish Cup Finals in the past.

An old firm game isn't comparable to the other lunchtime kickoffs. It makes absolute sense to move games to allow punters to watch both. There's still this parochial approach to the juniors as if we're somehow superior to the seniors. We're not.

I'm interested in how the Friday night games go because it's something clubs should maybe explore. The chance to bring in football fans who would normally go to see another junior game or senior tie on a Saturday may make it worthwhile. Are there any posters here who who will be attending either of the Friday games who aren't regular supporters of these clubs?

Meanwhile it will be the OF on Sky go for me on the way to Armadale on Saturday.

Friday night games in these situations can benefit squads too with the only reason really for not making the game would be work commitments which can't be helped. Bar that gives players opportunity to watch the OF aswell as play for their club

It also isn't possible for every club to play Friday nights though as not all grounds are floodlit... Personally I prefer a Saturday afternoon but I don't see harm in exploring the idea for FNF where possible

I'll watch it on the telly and then go to the junior game half an hour later,handy if your maybe watching it in the boozer 5 minutes fae the junior game your going to,be even better if the Celts and Bonnyrigg can both win on the day,have a nice day folks on Saturday whatever your doing.

Talking of moving matches, I remember the UEFA Cup semi in 2001 between Liverpool and Barcelona being delayed by 15 minutes so that the BBC could show an extended episode of EastEnders.

Shifting a junior match to try and get more fans in the door doesn't seem that bad in comparison.

And it's foolish to think that this game won't have more of an impact than a run of the mill lunchtime kick off - however unpalatable folk find the fawning to these 2 teams. 

So it'll have more of an impact because the stereotype rings true? Right thanks for confirming.

36 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

So it'll have more of an impact because the stereotype rings true? Right thanks for confirming.

No. The stereotype doesn't ring true at all. These are the 2 best supported teams in Scotland. Therefore more people will want to watch them. It's the first time they've met on league business. Generally, interest in this game is high. There is no correlation that means you can stereotype people follow junior football as old firm fans without a bus fare. 

Yes, people have an interest in more than one team - so in Scotland that may be Bonnyrigg and Celtic. I retain an interest in the fortunes of Hearts.  I wouldn't miss a Rose game for them and I can definitely afford the bus fare. But if someone said to me I had the choice of watching Hearts v Hibs on tv and then Linlithgow v Bo'ness in person, that would suit me fine and I'd prefer doing that than just watching the Rose. But if the option was not available then I'd watch the Rose. So moving ko times is just as much about looking after your customers as it is the bottom line on your balance sheet. 

Nobody has been back to say whether or not they'd be happy with Rangers v Celtic kicking off at 3pm live on Sky whilst everyone else in the SPFL was asked to just get on with it as "true" supporters would still be there. Club chairmen would go off their nut at the prospect. 

If; and it's a big if (and I'm not trying to open that can of worms again for millionth time on here) Junior Football ever moves to 'summer' football then I think Friday nights should be a regular feature.

The old firm game usually a Sunday but it's Saturday this time because both Celtic and man city have CL games this week and sky to had no option to show both on Saturday half an hour apart because both sides are in same group and don't want to be seen to give either side an advantage Friday night should become regular floodlit stadia permitting I know players have work commitments but used in certain circumstances could be a decent idea

Friday night football under the lights like at lochburn park is a great idea  , gives people the chance to attend two games over the weekend and the likes of Maryhill is a good location transport wise , junior teams need to look at every single opportunity to maximise attendances and Friday football at certain times is a cracking idea for me , and why have lights and not use them so it's a no brainer I reckon and could also attract a few ground hoppers . 

Can't help but think a few folk on here are reading way too much into what is no more than an experiment. 

The reason for moving our game - and I'm sure for Renfrew to be moving theirs too - is to gauge if there's an appetite for games on a Friday night. As I said before, if we played on Saturday at 2pm the hardcore support would be there regardless. 

Surely hopefully enticing some more people through the gates other in addition to just the diehards is what we want in the Junior game - the Junior grade constantly get pelters from outside for being stuck in a timewarp, and all we and the folks at Renfrew are doing are trying to think outside the box for a change.

FWIW, I certainly won't be slabbering at the TV come noon on Saturday as the chances are I'll take in another Junior game - one that doesn't involve travelling through the city centre where Bamfest 2016 will no doubt be in full effect. Not decided yet, but either Pollok or Cambuslang are both local enough.

Archived