Any junior games moving there games for the celtic vs rangers game

Mathieson104

I think some people will see it as a bit odd because it seems to apply a special status to the Old Firm game, i.e. clubs clash with one or two OF games most weeks... but if it's going to badly hamper the crowds, then fair enough IMO. Also the Junior world has traditionally stuck to its guns when up against Scotland internationals, cup finals and so on - maybe it looks a bit like double-standards to clash with those, but not a league game between 2 clubs.

However, if the result is a more open mind to playing games under artificial light - whether to avoid internationals, cup finals, other big games, or even just as novelty - that would be a welcome outcome, even if largely unintended.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably is an experiment but most people in this country are 1 or the other regarding the OF players included if clubs can agree to play stadia permitted on a Friday night or why not a Sunday afternoon I for one wouldn't mind going along on a Sunday to watch a match but not on a regular basis

10 hours ago, HTG said:

Of course I do. Live tv games on a Saturday are timed to start and finish before or after the 3pm kick offf window is done for a reason - to avoid a clash with the bulk of Saturday matches. Only someone looking for a bit of cheap stereotyping would fail to acknowledge that. It's why for generations we struggled to see highlights never mind live football. 

If any team or club in the seniors done that they would be roundly ridiculed. There would be outrage from their own supporters too. Would NEVER happen at Arbroath.

Im shocked it's happening anywhere or there's even a desire from it from fans who actually support a side, junior one or senior.

Which senior clubs do you think would do it??? 

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If any team or club in the seniors done that they would be roundly ridiculed. There would be outrage from their own supporters too. Would NEVER happen at Arbroath.

Im shocked it's happening anywhere or there's even a desire from it from fans who actually support a side, junior one or senior.

Given that I don't know which junior clubs would have done it prior to this thread, that's some expectation you've got. And remember the vast majority of junior games are sticking with their regular slots. Those that are not seem to be in the West. So I'd expect that to be mirrored. We all know the score. 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The whole Lowland League rearranged its fixtures in order to accommodate groundhop weekends - twice. Queen's Park and Celtic played away to suit the Commonwealth Games.

There's nothing on the scale of an OF game or Commonwealth Games ever going to happen in Arbroath.

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Going head to head with one of the most anticipated domestic fixtures in years just because you're scared of "ridicule" is idiotic. 

6 minutes ago, iceicebaby said:

will Maryhills park hold up ok with the rain we have had and expected tomorrow?

Shouldn't be an issue unless it gets really biblical - obviously no grass park's 100% bulletproof. The ongoing issues we had with the park over the last couple of years were sorted out over the summer. Turns out back in the day a main drain had been infilled with sand as opposed to gravel (!) and over the years it had clogged.

We're hopeful there will be a lot less postponements now it's been fixed.

3 hours ago, HTG said:

No. The stereotype doesn't ring true at all. These are the 2 best supported teams in Scotland. Therefore more people will want to watch them. It's the first time they've met on league business. Generally, interest in this game is high. There is no correlation that means you can stereotype people follow junior football as old firm fans without a bus fare. 

Yes, people have an interest in more than one team - so in Scotland that may be Bonnyrigg and Celtic. I retain an interest in the fortunes of Hearts.  I wouldn't miss a Rose game for them and I can definitely afford the bus fare. But if someone said to me I had the choice of watching Hearts v Hibs on tv and then Linlithgow v Bo'ness in person, that would suit me fine and I'd prefer doing that than just watching the Rose. But if the option was not available then I'd watch the Rose. So moving ko times is just as much about looking after your customers as it is the bottom line on your balance sheet. 

Nobody has been back to say whether or not they'd be happy with Rangers v Celtic kicking off at 3pm live on Sky whilst everyone else in the SPFL was asked to just get on with it as "true" supporters would still be there. Club chairmen would go off their nut at the prospect. 

You're kind of proving my point here. Of course interest is high, but the bulk of that interest comes from the fans of those teams. Some neutrals wish to watch it but would they want their own teams games moved so that they could view the game? Would they f**k. 

I have no issue with someone supporting two teams but it is very disingenuous to suggest that a large bulk of Junior fans don't support one of the bigot sisters as their "other" team. We would not have this topic if this wasn't the case. 

17 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

You're kind of proving my point here. Of course interest is high, but the bulk of that interest comes from the fans of those teams. Some neutrals wish to watch it but would they want their own teams games moved so that they could view the game? Would they f**k. 

I have no issue with someone supporting two teams but it is very disingenuous to suggest that a large bulk of Junior fans don't support one of the bigot sisters as their "other" team. We would not have this topic if this wasn't the case. 

I'd concede that it's very difficult to grow up in the West of Scotland without having a leaning toward one half or other of the twin cheeks, however mild that leaning might be.

I'd also contend however that it's not confined to the Juniors; quite a few Thistle fans I know have exactly the same syndrome which tends to manifest itself in hating one half of the OF noticeably more than the other.

Everyone's got their own narrative of how they came to follow their team - I imagine growing up in Glasgow as a Thistle fan born to Thistle-supporting parents will happen now and again, but just as many fans at Firhill will have made a conscious decision to follow the Jags, maybe as a kid, maybe as an adult as a rejection of all the OF baggage. Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the same process can happen at Junior level a mile up the road?

Thistle supporters can be categorised thusly -

1) middle class folk who's mammy was feart they get battered if they followed a proper team and secretly hoped they'd get into rugby. 

2) see 1.

Because of this you just have to nod and make "mmm hmm" noises while disregarding everything they say about football. 

I'd concede that it's very difficult to grow up in the West of Scotland without having a leaning toward one half or other of the twin cheeks, however mild that leaning might be.

I'd also contend however that it's not confined to the Juniors; quite a few Thistle fans I know have exactly the same syndrome which tends to manifest itself in hating one half of the OF noticeably more than the other.

Everyone's got their own narrative of how they came to follow their team - I imagine growing up in Glasgow as a Thistle fan born to Thistle-supporting parents will happen now and again, but just as many fans at Firhill will have made a conscious decision to follow the Jags, maybe as a kid, maybe as an adult as a rejection of all the OF baggage. Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the same process can happen at Junior level a mile up the road?

Because quite simply Thistle fans don't typically support one of the Old Firm and would choose to have their game moved to accommodate fans viewing the Old Firm. The proof is in the pudding with the Junior fixtures being moved and quite a few on this thread admitting to being fans of one of the bigot brothers.

1) middle class folk who's mammy was feart they get battered if they followed a proper team and secretly hoped they'd get into rugby. 

2) see 1.

Because of this you just have to nod and make "mmm hmm" noises while disregarding everything they say about football. 

^^big team is Sevco^^

2) see 1.

Will need to show my Thistle supporting friends this one [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

1 minute ago, mrcat1990 said:

Because quite simply Thistle fans don't typically support one of the Old Firm and would choose to have their game moved to accommodate fans viewing the Old Firm. The proof is in the pudding with the Junior fixtures being moved and quite a few on this thread admitting to being fans of one of the bigot brothers.

^^big team is Sevco^^

hhmmm mmmm, etc.

21 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

To recap: "by and large" on page 2 and "a large bulk" on page 4 becomes "quite a few" on page 5.

f12f63be0efabeb6da455e0796cc5678.jpg

2 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

I think you're taking my words far too literally there champ.

Which one is it then? Probably better you pick one and stick to it.

Enough people have been on here saying their loyalties lie first and foremost to their junior team, and if they have any interest in the OF whatsoever it's a passing one only. Instead you're persisting in your stereotyping which in truth holds about as much water as Shanner's stereotyping of Thistle fans.

And at least his one was funny.

Which one is it then? Probably better you pick one and stick to it.

Enough people have been on here saying their loyalties lie first and foremost to their junior team, and if they have any interest in the OF whatsoever it's a passing one only. Instead you're persisting in your stereotyping which in truth holds about as much water as Shanner's stereotyping of Thistle fans.

And at least his one was funny.

Yet again the stereotype is proven with fixtures being moved. You can argue the specifics of percentages of Junior fans that support one of the Old Firm teams, but all in all its high enough for those fans to have their Junior team games moved to allow them to revel in the bigot v bigot fest. If their loyalties were with their Junior team first and foremost then there would be absolutely sod all reason to rearrange Junior ko times.

Archived