St. Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian, 17/09/2016

Let's talk about the match now. 

Tommy Wright's pre-match mind games worked perfectly. The Hearts players, stricken with severe paranoia, didn't throw themselves to the ground as much as usual. In fact, they played some nice football at times. They were much better than what I've seen from them during our previous encounters. However, their lack of cheating came at a price. Like it or not, their incessant diving/thuggery/cheating provides them with their only opportunity to actually score a goal. Without that particular string to their bow, they possess no attacking threat whatsoever. Zander Clark put in a very good performance, but Hearts' finishing certainly didn't match the quality of their build-up play. As the final whistle approached, Robbie Neilson's men realised that Tommy Wright had successfully got into their heads. They attempted to revert to their stereotype. But it was too little, too late. The good guys won. Football won.

Despite the half-time scoreline, I enjoyed the first 45 minutes. Hearts enjoyed the lion's share of possession although we also looked threatening at times. They started the second-half really strongly and our goal came completely out of the blue. It was very amusing. In fact, I allowed myself to emit a hearty laugh when we scored. There wasn't much quality on display from the boys in blue, but we showed a tremendous amount of character and spirit once again. Our last-ditch defending was a joy to behold (although our last-ditch defending was only necessary because we kept making defensive mistakes in the first place).

Anyway, it's a huge result for us. Hopefully we can push on and rise above Hearts in the not-too-distant future.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

His 'we won 2-0 on simulations' comment was golden.

Agreed, he has provided some fabulous soundbites today. I liked his pre-match interview. ''I just say it as I see it. If people are hurt by what I say, I don't give a f**k.'' 

Or something along those lines.

Actually thought we were better 1st half but Hearts had all the chances.

Poor 2nd half but somehow won.

Clark made 3 or 4 good saves but not outstanding saves imo

Cummins dived, Kane didn't was my thoughts.

Surprised when Watt went off as I didnt knownhe was on.

John Souttars best performance against us (not much competition tbf)

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I love Dave Mackay.  I also  love how hearts think how they are actually better than some backwater club from the sticks. You boys are shit. 

:lol:^_^

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I love Dave Mackay.  I also  love how hearts think how they are actually better than some backwater club from the sticks. You boys are shit. 

The table says we are better than all the backwater clubs from the sticks tbf.

The table says we are better than all the backwater clubs from the sticks tbf.

So much better that we have the same number of points...

It's also worth noting we've already played last seasons top three.

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

And we've played 1st,2nd and 4th, 2 away from home.

Hearts - 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 9th, 11th. Saints - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th.

1 minute ago, GorgieRoad said:

Still better, though.

Yes, being equal on points and losing both matches we've went head to head in proves you're better.

FWIW I thought Tony Watt was Hearts best player, and it was brilliant when he was subbed off. Him dropping between the midfield and defence was causing huge problems as nobody knew who should be closing him down. If Hearts had any striker with half an ounce of ability then they'd be infinitely more dangerous. That utter haddy they started with, and Sammon, are utter morons in terms of knowing what run to make.

"Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson: "I spoke to the players after the game and said we played some fantastic football and created some wonderful chances.

"But we didn't take them and got done with a sucker punch, but I'd rather play like that and be entertaining and exciting and create chances than go direct and hope to nick a goal."

Suppose that explains why Hearts decided to punt two big strikers on the park and punt balls to them for the final ten minutes. 

"Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson: "I spoke to the players after the game and said we played some fantastic football and created some wonderful chances.

"But we didn't take them and got done with a sucker punch, but I'd rather play like that and be entertaining and exciting and create chances than go direct and hope to nick a goal."

Suppose that explains why Hearts decided to punt two big strikers on the park and punt balls to them for the final ten minutes. 

I actually felt they didn't do enough of that in the dying minutes. Into injury time and with lots of big guys up top they continued to try to pass out from the back. Made it very easy for us to close it out.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, being equal on points and losing both matches we've went head to head in proves you're better.

FWIW I thought Tony Watt was Hearts best player, and it was brilliant when he was subbed off. Him dropping between the midfield and defence was causing huge problems as nobody knew who should be closing him down. If Hearts had any striker with half an ounce of ability then they'd be infinitely more dangerous. That utter haddy they started with, and Sammon, are utter morons in terms of knowing what run to make.

I think the table speaks for itself.

Since I'm sad enough to be arguing this point on saturday night I'll contribute my match summary to the thread;

Came away feeling frustrated as f**k with that result, definitely deserved at least a draw if not a win but suppose that's what happens when you don't take your chances. We put together some excellent moves in the first half and thought we did well to deal with the St Johnstone attacks, those two golden opportunities we passed up were basically a sign of things to come though, if I'm right that it was Tony Watt with the second that's the second time he's fannied about taking touches in the box instead of burying it - the first being against Aberdeen.

Started the second half well again but the final ball just wasn't falling for us - the St Johnstone sucker punch was predictable and after that they did well to totally shut us out, the high balls weren't working and the St Johnstone defence mopped most of our attacks apart from that header that hit the bar near the end. Agree RE Tony Watt being subbed, he had started to fall out the game a bit by that point but he was the one making the link between attack and midfield, after that it was a case of the high ball. Wasn't that impressed with Johnson today, a few nice touches but wasn't dominant enough in the box.

Previously with Hearts it's been obvious what's went wrong but at the moment we do seem to be putting together some nice moves, it just didn't come off today so not too disappointed with the overall performance. St Johnstone look like they will challenge top 6 this season going by the other opposition we've played, but going by today's results elsewhere I'm confident 2nd is there for the taking for us.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've not played last year's 11th placed team yet.  

Anyway standings are irrelevant at this stage of the season just as it would've been had we won.  I'm confident we'll be top 3 again, hopefully pushing for 2nd.

Archived