Big Sam

LinkinFighter

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Journalists are scum, tricking people into saying and doing things like this. If the police did it, it would be called 'entrapment'.

On the other hand anything that humiliates English football is fine by me. :thumsup2

Yup.  This is no different from the Phoney Pharaoh guy at the Sun, except at least he actually uncovered illegal activities.

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It'll be interesting to see who else is uncovered by the investigation and whether anyone will be surprised.

Another 8 managers to be revealed this week , bungs are a part of the game the always have been , it's a bit like revealing doping in cycling we all know everyone's at it.

Just now, THE KING said:

Another 8 managers to be revealed this week , bungs are a part of the game the always have been , it's a bit like revealing doping in cycling we all know everyone's at it.

Well, 8 doesn't equal everyone.   And the Telegraph was given the names of eight managers, they are only promising to reveal one name, an assistant manager, who seemingly has managed to get an injunction.  This could end up as a complete nothing story.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, 8 doesn't equal everyone.   And the Telegraph was given the names of eight managers, they are only promising to reveal one name, an assistant manager, who seemingly has managed to get an injunction.  This could end up as a complete nothing story.

Injunction ? Aye they work well.

Would be great if one if the ex premiership/championship managers was Rodgers or Warburton:lol:

Saying that it would explain why Warburton wanted to buy an injured Rangers player a few months before he joined them.

IMG_20160928_102028.jpg

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Entrapment won, according to Fat Sam on BBC
No Sam, greed, dishonesty and Fukin selfishness lost you fat c**t

He did nothing illegal or dishonest.  In fact, he was quite open that he wouldn't do anything illegal or dishonest.  £400,000 is £400,000 irrespective of how much you earn. It's only because of FA paranoia that he's left his job.  If Strachan had done this, there's no way he'd have been sacked.

2 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

His reputation will be tarnished over here for sure, but you can bet your house that in a couple of years he'll be in charge of Beijing Utd or Malaysia FC earning an absolute fortune.

His reputation is no less and no more than it was a week ago.  It was fairly common knowledge that he liked the old pound note, after that BBC Panorama investigation.  

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I feel a wee bit sorry for him.

Ultimately he's stupid to have put himself in that situation, it was always going to reflect badly on him and as England manager he has to accept the consequences.

Ultimately though he's not done a lot wrong. He gave a bit of advice on how to work the rules, not break them. Ultimately it's his employers rules so they're not going to like it.

However he's very clear with the guy who suggests underhanded payments that he not go there and wants nothing to do with it.

I agree with you. They presumably targeted him as part of the bung brigade rather than just because he was the manager of England but turned them down, however he's being slaughtered for something he actually didn't do. He may have taken them in the past which is why they targeted him but he 'did the right thing' on this occasion.

It's quite laughable he's been brought down for bending/avoiding the rules. If he'd been an accountant or banker he'd have been given a massive bonus. Thank goodness our journos are all cleaner than clean and would never do such heinous things. 

4 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I agree with you. They presumably targeted him as part of the bung brigade rather than just because he was the manager of England but turned them down, however he's being slaughtered for something he actually didn't do. He may have taken them in the past which is why they targeted him but he 'did the right thing' on this occasion.

It's quite laughable he's been brought down for bending/avoiding the rules. If he'd been an accountant or banker he'd have been given a massive bonus. Thank goodness our journos are all cleaner than clean and would never do such heinous things. 

That's only because our journos aren't really journos at all.

Is there any suggestion, I've not seen the full transcripts, that the £400,000 was actually payment for his 'advice' in getting round rules/making money from transfers. What I mean is, although he wasn't explicitly being paid for his 'consultancy', the after dinner speech was essentially a mechanism to legitimately pay him it?

This was my initial though when i watched the video, but as i say i haven't seen the full transcript. This is fairly common in this kind of thing, surely? The payment is for a legitimate service but the value of the payment actually reflects the 'additional' services provided.

2 hours ago, Highlandmagyar said:

All these people rejoicing at Southgate being in charge against Scotland. Really! It might have helped if we didn't have a fud of a manager ourselves who couldn't manage a team out of a favourable group!

Fair point. Strachan's record at Middlesborough, after he succeeded Southgate, was woeful. Southgate delivered Premier League football for a few seasons. Boro were relegated but in a Championship play-off position when Southgate was sacked. They were around 20th when Strachan resigned. 

Didn't he actually tell people how to get around rules set by his employer and also mock decisions made by his employers? That right there is enough to get him sacked without the fact that there's clearly more to this, and him being a crook is hardly new ground.

Entrapment? No. Stupidity. He doesn't deserve sympathy.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup.  This is no different from the Phoney Pharaoh guy at the Sun, except at least he actually uncovered illegal activities.

I have to disagree here. Yes, there's no doubt that many journalists are dodgy as f**k themselves, and some investigations like this are needless, but this is perfectly fair journalism on The Telegraph's part.

Going undercover to find out whether football managers are taking bungs or otherwise willing to contravene the rules of football is entirely in the public interest and something worth reporting on for Sports journalists. Regardless of the fact that Allardyce hasn't agreed to take anything from them, arranging the meeting to find out if he would is fair on their part and the comments he made at that meeting are a worthwhile story in themselves. It's hardly News of the World and The Sun hounding the always unfairly criticised Sven-Goran Eriksson for daring to consider taking a different football management job, which was a ridiculous and vindictive piece of journalism.

Haven't read all the full allegations or the like, but a part of me is wondering whether the HMRC will be having a wee dig into Big Sam's financial affairs on the back of this - if the only income he's declaring is from any football management contracts or media work but he's quite clearly also taking in "introduction fees" or the like on the side then I can see Hector sniffing around...

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He did nothing illegal or dishonest.  In fact, he was quite open that he wouldn't do anything illegal or dishonest.  £400,000 is £400,000 irrespective of how much you earn. It's only because of FA paranoia that he's left his job.  If Strachan had done this, there's no way he'd have been sacked.

His reputation is no less and no more than it was a week ago.  It was fairly common knowledge that he liked the old pound note, after that BBC Panorama investigation.  

I pretty much agree, it's been done because of how it looks rather than actual misdemeanours. But he has shown outrageously bad judgement in going to that kind of meeting. He should just have told them he was a bit busy in his new job, get back in touch next year.

Archived