Work Events/Nights out.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having "just 3 pints" because you're driving is like having a Diet Coke with your fish and chips because you're on a diet.

But more dangerous. 

Hate it when people say this. Diet Coke has 0 calories more or less, a pint of Coke has about 250, so it's still a fairly decent chunk of calories you save. That's without even thinking about the sugar.

There's also nothing wrong with eating fish and chips on a diet.

Anyway that is all. Carry on.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Tennents is 4%, most real ale is 3.5 %. You'd have to be an anorexic dwarf not to be able to drive safely on 3 pints.

Most real ale is not 3.5%, I've no idea where you've got that from. Even so, drinking 3 pints and then getting behind the wheel is highly irresponsible and dangerous. 

The phrase gets used a lot as a joke around here, but if you're doing that then you are genuinely sub-human scum IMO.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Most real ale is not 3.5%, I've no idea where you've got that from. Even so, drinking 3 pints and then getting behind the wheel is highly irresponsible and dangerous. 

The phrase gets used a lot as a joke around here, but if you're doing that then you are genuinely sub-human scum IMO.

A decent pub will have a 3.5% option. If you can't drive safely after 3 pints you shouldn't be allowed to drink, far less drive.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

A decent pub will have a 3.5% option. If you can't drive safely after 3 pints you shouldn't be allowed to drink, far less drive.

If you genuinely believe that after drinking 3 pints your reactions will be exactly the same, you are deluded. I'd rather not take the risk that the extra half a second it takes me to react to someone on the road gets someone killed, but clearly you have a blatant disregard for safety of others, so keep doing what you're doing and everyone will just have to hope that you get your licence taken off of you before you manage to kill someone.

You need to put yourself in a position where drink driving isn't an option before you start drinking, the second you start drinking but still have your keys on you and your car accessible is just asking for trouble but this is what happens time and time again.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If you genuinely believe that after drinking 3 pints your reactions will be exactly the same, you are deluded. I'd rather not take the risk that the extra half a second it takes me to react to someone on the road gets someone killed, but clearly you have a blatant disregard for safety of others, so keep doing what you're doing and everyone will just have to hope that you get your licence taken off of you before you manage to kill someone.

I hope you will remove your radio and any non-mute passengers from your car henceforth.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I hope you will remove your radio and any non-mute passengers from your car henceforth.

Please provide the scientific study you've said proves that listening to the radio or a passenger is more dangerous than drinking 3 pints. Should be an interesting read.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Please provide the scientific study you've said proves that listening to the radio or a passenger is more dangerous than drinking 3 pints. Should be an interesting read.

My evidence is direct and personal, and not subject to peer review. My driving is far better after 3 weak pints than having my angry sister screaming at me.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Concentration and reaction time while driving is more diminished by having the radio on than having drunk a moderate amount of alcohol.

P.S. Much worse is relatives yapping in your ear.

Just now, welshbairn said:

My evidence is direct and personal, and not subject to peer review. My driving is far better after 3 weak pints than having my angry sister screaming at me.

As I thought, this was bullshit that you'd tried to pass off as fact. 

You are a brazen b*****d, I'll give you that. Not one single f**k given that you break the law and put innocent people at risk.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

You need to put yourself in a position where drink driving isn't an option before you start drinking, the second you start drinking but still have your keys on you and your car accessible is just asking for trouble but this is what happens time and time again.

I should say that 3 pints of weak beer is my absolute naughty limit. If I intend to get drunk I don't drive. A couple of small glasses of wine with a meal, or 2 pints of weak lager meeting friends in a country beer garden. Or one more if it's a particularly blissful afternoon. Never more.

When there's a traffic incident, isn't it common practice for everyone involved to be breathalysed? You don't have to be swerving from kerb to kerb before you get breathalysed.

When there's a traffic incident, isn't it common practice for everyone involved to be breathalysed? You don't have to be swerving from kerb to kerb before you get breathalysed.

As far as I know any incident involving a car the driver should be breathalysed

Drink and drive, you're a dick and deserve whatever comes your way. Drink and drive and then try to defend/justify it and you're beyond being a dick.

Do people really believe most of the pish they've spouted on this thread on this topic?

Years ago, I helped out on two separate occasions for a Glasgow University study into the effects of alcohol and driving (which became mildly notorious thanks to the morons at the Evening Times running a "Booze on the boffins" headline which led to every alky in Glasgow trying to sign up), which meant drinking a pint of orange juice laced with what can be best described as a generous amount of vodka (which I loathe), before doing a computerised test amounting to a primitive computer game designed to test the ability to "steer" along with reaction time (ie. "brake").

On both occasions, steering was absolutely fine until the last tests once the alcohol had been given a good chance to kick in fully, but from the off there was a noticeable deterioration in reaction time. The premise was the reason so many drink driving accidents occur was down to offenders feeling fine when they got into the car & furthering their own illusion as to their competence to drive from being able to do so adequately enough at the start of the journey. Once they'd got up speed with an ever lengthening reaction times on top of the lengthening stopping time, this was where it could all go wrong very quickly.

In short, those getting into their cars after boozing all too often genuinely did think they were "fine", with their initial experience of driving under the influence furthering their delusion, and that was why those running the study wanted the law changed to impose the lowest limit possible.

If you can't go out without a drink, go out without your wheels.

Archived