Grimbo's P&B drink diary.

8 hours ago, Grim O'Grady said:

I bought 8 bottles of ale yesterday at asdas from their 4 for a fiver range, 8 different ales & 2 bottles of wine a red n a white. 

Me daughter & her husband turn up, no ale. Me elder sister & her husband turn up no ale, they brought my niece & her boyfriend, no ale. My younger sister & her bf turn up, no ale. Me aunty turns up no ale, ffs, who turns up to a party & doesn't bring a bottle? Fuckin livid wasn't the word when the nieces bf comes out of the kitchen with the Theakstons Old Perculier, the daft c**t thinks it's a stout? Arrgh. 

I ended up with a bombardier (William's gif) & an EPA.  

Sober as f**k,h

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Grimbo, sites not letting me quote & post.

Anyway, get the family telt ffs. Don't end up like Throbber. A shivering wreak when they visit.

OK, me 2 beers & then just bought 2 more, I'll be going to buy 2 more soon.

point of order. I'm giving up smoking, day 2 of medical treatment. I'm speeding oout my nut, don't need a cig yet.

6 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Sorry Grimbo, sites not letting me quote & post.

Anyway, get the family telt ffs. Don't end up like Throbber. A shivering wreak when they visit.

OK, me 2 beers & then just bought 2 more, I'll be going to buy 2 more soon.

point of order. I'm giving up smoking, day 2 of medical treatment. I'm speeding oout my nut, don't need a cig yet.

Good for you on laying off the fags possibly not as good for the neighbourhood wild life & whoever lives down river from you? 

17 years since I gave up & I'm a right sanctimonious c**t now, welcome to the club. 

Grimbo 

2 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

Good for you on laying off the fags possibly not as good for the neighbourhood wild life & whoever lives down river from you? 

17 years since I gave up & I'm a right sanctimonious c**t now, welcome to the club. 

Grimbo 

I'm not a smoker..

Story is, I started smoking ganja when I was about 13/14. Did it every day, Since I've was 17/34.  

Came to Thailand and stopped like that. but got on the fags..There shite, everyday I say this, then go and buy a pack for 1 pound. Last week had a medical.  I have to do for my work permit. I passed. Then I asked for more tests, let us say fags are not good. I've only smoke fags since I came here. 8y. Buy Buy. Still speeding out may nut. Nae fags. I like it.

What Grimbo has said really hits home for me, there is nothing worse than showing up to a party and not bringing anything. Did those who showed up drink what was in the fridge? No time for people like that what  so ever and feel that those who bring the least booze to a party also bring the least entertainment and are basically a drain on resources.

Back in February/March we had a get together at our flat the night before the league cup final which we were all going to and we were going to order a Chinese and split the bill which had been previously agreed. The night before my girlfriends step sister and her bf became a last minute addition to the party as they have a baby that someone in the group hadn't yet seen, which was fine by me i wasn't exactly overjoyed by this but didn't think much of it at the time. They were the first ones to show up at the party at about 4 and i let them into the flat, they had bought no drink at all which is obviously a red light but i offered him a beer out of politeness and he accepted, she didn't take a drink at first but by the time the rest of the guests had arrived she was happily helping herself to whatever was on offer and he was gladly going up to the fridge and helping himself to the beer i had bought in. Needless to say when it came to ordering the Chinese they assumed this was a freebee for them and gladly said what they wanted from the menu but didn't offer any cash. It was the most awkward thing as we couldn't just say to them what we wanted as her Mum was there and it is clear to see that they just assume that they get everything paid for them.

The deep feeling of resentment and injustice has never left me to this day.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

What Grimbo has said really hits home for me, there is nothing worse than showing up to a party and not bringing anything. Did those who showed up drink what was in the fridge? No time for people like that what  so ever and feel that those who bring the least booze to a party also bring the least entertainment and are basically a drain on resources.

Back in February/March we had a get together at our flat the night before the league cup final which we were all going to and we were going to order a Chinese and split the bill which had been previously agreed. The night before my girlfriends step sister and her bf became a last minute addition to the party as they have a baby that someone in the group hadn't yet seen, which was fine by me i wasn't exactly overjoyed by this but didn't think much of it at the time. They were the first ones to show up at the party at about 4 and i let them into the flat, they had bought no drink at all which is obviously a red light but i offered him a beer out of politeness and he accepted, she didn't take a drink at first but by the time the rest of the guests had arrived she was happily helping herself to whatever was on offer and he was gladly going up to the fridge and helping himself to the beer i had bought in. Needless to say when it came to ordering the Chinese they assumed this was a freebee for them and gladly said what they wanted from the menu but didn't offer any cash. It was the most awkward thing as we couldn't just say to them what we wanted as her Mum was there and it is clear to see that they just assume that they get everything paid for them.

The deep feeling of resentment and injustice has never left me to this day.

Family, hey, you can't pick them.

Ps. You can kill them8)

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Family, hey, you can't pick them.

Ps. You can kill them8)

We haven't had invited them back but they did the exact same trick at my father in laws in the summer time as well, just absolute scroungers. When we went round to theirs we got served chili con carne, an absolute cheapskates meal.

Me and my girlfriend regularly go to these sort of social events round at peoples houses and have people round at ours and i think there are 3 types of attitudes towards who brings what to a party.

Generous types - Those who bring more than they are going to be able to consume themselves on a regular basis. Usually the ones who provide the most chat to the party and keep the conversation flowing.

Slightly tight - Those who bring a little bit, often random little bits and pieces that were left in their fridge or just 1 bottle of wine or 4 beers, usually with some sort of explanation as to what sort of drink it is to make them seem that they put a lot of thought into what they have bought but they are really just being stingy. Often the type of people who can be a great laugh one night and then not add much on another night.

Tight arsed b*****ds - Either those who just show up and take whats on offer and keep quiet or the types that have some sort of excuse as to why they couldn't get to the shop and make it known that they will go to the shops if necessary knowing that you as the host will just tell them you have plenty of drink in. Often provide nothing to the party what so ever and serve no purpose being there apart from being a drain on the resources.

I am obviously the generous type.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

We haven't had invited them back but they did the exact same trick at my father in laws in the summer time as well, just absolute scroungers. When we went round to theirs we got served chili con carne, an absolute cheapskates meal.

Me and my girlfriend regularly go to these sort of social events round at peoples houses and have people round at ours and i think there are 3 types of attitudes towards who brings what to a party.

Generous types - Those who bring more than they are going to be able to consume themselves on a regular basis. Usually the ones who provide the most chat to the party and keep the conversation flowing.

Slightly tight - Those who bring a little bit, often random little bits and pieces that were left in their fridge or just 1 bottle of wine or 4 beers, usually with some sort of explanation as to what sort of drink it is to make them seem that they put a lot of thought into what they have bought but they are really just being stingy. Often the type of people who can be a great laugh one night and then not add much on another night.

Tight arsed b*****ds - Either those who just show up and take whats on offer and keep quiet or the types that have some sort of excuse as to why they couldn't get to the shop and make it known that they will go to the shops if necessary knowing that you as the host will just tell them you have plenty of drink in. Often provide nothing to the party what so ever and serve no purpose being there apart from being a drain on the resources.

I am obviously the generous type.

I'm sure you are.

I go to families all they have is chicken feet soup.

When they come to me they get chicken soup (head & feet).

Enjoy that people love you. Stop pushing them away, the more you push, well it will be single  meals from asda

Everyone brought food but I'd taken me Mam out shopping on Saturday, so we had shit loads of food in, so maybe it's partly my fault by not planning things a bit better but ffs NOT 1 of them thought to bring ANY drink, but thought nowt about supping what I'd bought.  Not one said "oh we should have brought some ale". 

Any way I'm over it now. 

Grimbo 

I don't think I would ever get over it but you probably should have said there was plenty of food in.

If you're going to go to someone's house and inconvenience them by taking up room in their home then it's the least you can do. The host should have a few drinks left over for chasers the next day and through the week as well. I just think it's a total brass neck if you don't bring something to a party but yet are happy to take what ever is on offer.

Found a bottle of Manns Brown Ale, think it belongs to my step-dad but he can't remember it so says I can have it, dementia isn't funny but hey-ho, I've had to put up with Last of the summer wine all weekend & that's not funny either. 

It's only 2.8% but tastes quite nice, no gonna get the pished factor but I'm driving back tomorrow.

Grimbo 

ETA The Black Forest Trifle is the perfect accompaniment to the Broon ale.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

WTF is going on here? How many fucking Grimbos are there and why does one of them talk like he's in the fucking Archers?

I'm bilingual ya owd c**t. 

Grimbo

ETA, never heard the Archers is it set in Lancashire? 

3 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

You should mix half a glass of white with half a glass of red and see if you like it.

Hmmmn are you bulling me Bobby? You know I like a diverse range of options before making up my mind? 

I think I need a second opinion at least on this one. 

Grimbo 

Hmmmn are you bulling me Bobby? You know I like a diverse range of options before making up my mind? 

I think I need a second opinion at least on this one. 

Grimbo 

It was merely a suggestion, Grimbo. I'd serve it to c***s who turn up at your house without any booze first to try it out.

Archived