Grimbo's P&B drink diary.

16 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Do you often have half pints or were you driving? Not a loaded question at all, just I very rarely have a half pint. In fact I've only had a half pint if I'm having a half and a half.

A half and a dram is much underappreciated.  The half pint has to be bitter/heavy/special though.  Just isn't the same with lager.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Do you often have half pints or were you driving? Not a loaded question at all, just I very rarely have a half pint. In fact I've only had a half pint if I'm having a half and a half.

Not usually, it was on the chippy menu, we went posh & sat in, it was £2.50 so I thought it might be a 500ml bottle, which isn't far off a pint but no, the waitress brought a half pint (straight) glass of ale.

Others (Rab) will no doubt rush to point out that when I was asked to organise an P&B pub crawl (by a poster who will remain nameless) I did suggest that seeing as there was at least 16 pubs on it that drinking a half pint in each would still equal us supping a gallon of ale by the time we got to the bottom of the walk & if we were to then go up town, we'd still stand a chance of getting in somewhere rather than having drank 16 pints, well I wouldn't have been in any fit state to go on anywhere else after that, I was labelled a lightweight etc. 

The Walk walk was a brilliant success & all those that took part in it had a terrific time & have since begged me to organise another, except the one member who missed out by thinking it would be acceptable to come on a crawl by joining it 1/2 way into it, now that to me is a lightweight. ;) 

Grimbo

Missed a couple of days, sorry. 

Tuesday night opened a bottle of red, left a glass full in it, so Wednesday night I drank it but then felt I wanted more so opened another bottle, made sure I drank the bottle, didn't want a repeat performance. 

A night off it now. Save myself for the weekend. 

Grimbo 

Yesterday I had 3 pints (it's got 4 hand pumps) in the Dreadnought, very nice wee bar. It used to be called the halfway house but I can't remember ever seeing it before? It's just behind the prom bar & right off the cycle path that runs from our house to Leith. 

Then we went down to the Malt & Hops where I had 4 pints, I was only going to have 3 but I'm too easily lead once I've started. I hadn't had any dinner cos I'd not long since finished my breakfast cos we was on an early KO (1.30) & I had to get up to Saughton Enclosure. 

Pishedness 10/10 

Grimbo

Yesterday I had 3 pints (it's got 4 hand pumps) in the Dreadnought, very nice wee bar. It used to be called the halfway house but I can't remember ever seeing it before? It's just behind the prom bar & right off the cycle path that runs from our house to Leith. 

Then we went down to the Malt & Hops where I had 4 pints, I was only going to have 3 but I'm too easily lead once I've started. I hadn't had any dinner cos I'd not long since finished my breakfast cos we was on an early KO (1.30) & I had to get up to Saughton Enclosure. 

Pishedness 10/10 

Grimbo

Is the Dreadnought not far from Ocean Terminal? I think I might have been in there not too long ago. I thought it was a bit ropey in there but each to their own.

1 hour ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Is the Dreadnought not far from Ocean Terminal? I think I might have been in there not too long ago. I thought it was a bit ropey in there but each to their own.

Aye it's no far from the Terminal, but I'm struggling to see how you came up with ropey, it's only been open a few weeks, so you'd have been one of the first in? 

It's a one room pub. Well the toilets are separate obvz. 

Grimbo 

Aye it's no far from the Terminal, but I'm struggling to see how you came up with ropey, it's only been open a few weeks, so you'd have been one of the first in? 

It's a one room pub. Well the toilets are separate obvz. 

Grimbo 

I expect a higher quality of pub, being from EH11.

Nah, can't be the same one then. I was down there about three weeks ago on a works nights out. I'm sure the one I was in was closer to the shore than Newhaven.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I expect a higher quality of pub, being from EH11.

Nah, can't be the same one then. I was down there about three weeks ago on a works nights out. I'm sure the one I was in was closer to the shore than Newhaven.

It's too far out to be included in our next Walk the Walk crawl unless we can include a short bus ride (# 10, prob a taxi would be more than plenty) & get off the stop before Asda's.

I'm not familiar (I don't think) of the EH11 pubs, are there any I may have heard of? 

Grimbo 

It's too far out to be included in our next Walk the Walk crawl unless we can include a short bus ride (# 10, prob a taxi would be more than plenty) & get off the stop before Asda's.

I'm not familiar (I don't think) of the EH11 pubs, are there any I may have heard of? 

Grimbo 

Diggers, The Golden Rule, Polwarth Tavern, The Fountain etc .Some decent ones and some not so good.

Worth a wee tour if you've got a free day.

Rab getting mixed up again I see 

Your obsession with me continues.

The halfway house was certainly dodgey, I lived that way 3 years ago and it was shut then but i don't imagine it to be a nice pub. I never even sat foot in the prom bar, looked pretty shit. The Anfield is/was a nice enough pub about 60 Meters away from Prom Bar.

That makes no sense. You're clearly out of your depth here, return to the EOS forum immediately to be with your fellow simpletons.

A lot of the juniors fans in GN remind of me the likes of 16/17 year olds getting into a nightclub and acting Billy Big Baws for the night.

1 hour ago, Grim O'Grady said:

Grimbo 

I recommend Dickens. If you make it out alive head for Stratfords. They open nice and early (about 7am). 

3 hours ago, throbber said:

The halfway house was certainly dodgey, I lived that way 3 years ago and it was shut then but i don't imagine it to be a nice pub. I never even sat foot in the prom bar, looked pretty shit. The Anfield is/was a nice enough pub about 60 Meters away from Prom Bar.

Aye I heard that about the halfway, but honest Throbs I highly recommend the Dreadnought. It's decent beers. They must have a tie-in with Oregano cos that's what's on offer food wise, just pizzas though. 

Have you & missy Throbs got bicycles, it's pish easy to get to on a bike. 

The Annfield is shut & the prom bar, well you need to be in the bnp to drink in there.  

Grimbo 

I didn't know the annfield was shut. The Prom bar really is the most unfriendly looking pub aye. Just along from the halfway house there was pub that was just called Sports Bar that is off Portland street too which also shut down. Not got bikes no but not far from that really, don't think I'll be taking my girlfriend there any time soon as we usually go to the shore if we go out together. Might give it a visit myself though.

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I didn't know the annfield was shut. The Prom bar really is the most unfriendly looking pub aye. Just along from the halfway house there was pub that was just called Sports Bar that is off Portland street too which also shut down. Not got bikes no but not far from that really, don't think I'll be taking my girlfriend there any time soon as we usually go to the shore if we go out together. Might give it a visit myself though.

Doesn't open 'til 5 Monday to Thursday. So don't go early doors unless it's a weekend. I dunno your missus obvz but I'm sure she'd quite enjoy herself, what does she drink? 

Just had me hair done & it starts pissng it down, so bobbed into the Stocky Tap, sick to death of all these IPA's so gone for the porter. Only 4.2% but very nice. 

Off to Bannermans tonight before the Lucky Chops gig. (Which I must thank you for bringing them to my attention). 

Grimbo 

image.jpeg

Archived